Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   Opinion Needed: Adding Hood Scoop To Pace Car (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/adding-hood-scoop-pace-car-54592/)

wkimes 10-13-2015 03:54 PM

Adding Hood Scoop To Pace Car

As you all know I have a yellow 02 pace car. I am going to be adding a non functional small scoop on the hood in the middle. I am going to be painting this the same silver as my ground affects. What I am trying to figure out is wether to point the vent part of the scoop towards the front of car or the windsheild. I am kind of thinking toward to windshield, but can not decide since they both look good. So what do you guys think.

ChibiBlackSheep 10-13-2015 04:51 PM

I think a fake stick-on would look bad on the car. Painting it to stand out would look even worse. It already looks like a stick-on product, and mis-matched paint will make it look like it came off a car and needed to be repainted and wasn't.

wkimes 10-13-2015 05:01 PM

I was planning on a stick on, but it is just for a start. When I get more into the body work, I would put a different hood on it. I really like the Duraflex, but want to just get an idea of if I like a scoop or not. I plan on filling the edges with body filler and painting to make it flow with hood. Not totally sure though. See the link to see the hood I would like to get eventually. It would be painted yellow with the scoops in the silver

Duraflex® - Chevy Monte Carlo 2002 Spyder 3 Style Hood

turbo monte 10-14-2015 12:12 AM

I also agree with chibi

MnteCrloSS47 10-14-2015 12:15 AM

Agreed with chibi, Wait til you have the $ to do it the right way :) Your car looks awesome no need to stick anything cheezy to it

But if you must insist since it is your car and can do what you like, Forwards for the vent as a working hood "scoop" is for forcing air into the hood vent with forwards momentum and down into your air intake. more air = more power

ZIPPY02 10-14-2015 12:26 AM

X3, also looked at you link for the Dura-flex hood. Is that still NOT a functional RAM-AIR hood? I would pass on it and get one with the plenum. For the $326 plus shipping and then the body shop work your still going to be close to $1k, might as well get a fully functional hood.

For $500 more you can get the MPD1 hood. Great quality too!

See link:

MPD motorsports performance design – Monte Carlo Ram Air Hood 2000+

crazyzach722 10-14-2015 08:29 AM

Wait till you have the money. Don't buy a pep boys special hood scoop. They look terrible. I agree with everyone.

P343 10-14-2015 09:33 AM

That's a sharp looking hood!!

wkimes 10-14-2015 10:16 AM

well I am now thinking of somthing with 2 scoops instead of 1. I measured the middle section last night, and there is only about 4 inches between the lines down the hood. I do not think any single scoop that is that skinny would look good. I am thinking of the following scoops, but will not be attaching with just tape. They would be at first, and then filled in, sanded, and painted with the entire hood.

AVS® 80002 - Chevy Monte Carlo 2002-2005 Medium Black Hood Scoop

turbo monte 10-14-2015 10:31 AM

its your car man do what you like, there are people that dont like what i did with my monte either but thats why its mine and not theirs. if you like them scoops then use them how ever i would never use them.... if im personally adding a scoop to the hood its functional and not a stick on or im not wasting the money.