Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): 2002 monte carlo, After market front fender (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/2002-monte-carlo-after-market-front-fender-58064/)

Huckster 03-25-2017 10:35 PM

2002 monte carlo, After market front fender

Just wondering if anybody ever put on a after market front fender? I have a 2002 monte SS. I see the front fenders on EBay for $70 ~ $75.00 . Any good? These are NEW fenders.
Thinking of replacing the front right fender myself if Insurance company doesn't pay for a body shop to do job.
Thanks

Huckster 03-25-2017 10:54 PM

After market front fenders (2002)

I recently got into an accident and smashed top of my 2002 monte SS, right side front fender. I see new after market ones on EBay by severial sellers. Going price is $70 ~ $85.00. Has anybody ever put one of these fenders on? Fit good?
Body shop quoted $650.00 for after market fender!
Thanks!

bumpin96monte 03-27-2017 04:24 PM

I'll admit that I don't own or run a body shop nor do I have experience with this exact piece.

I did work at a shop for a few years that dabbled in flipping wrecked cars for side income.

A couple of thoughts on this:
  • Generally anything aftermarket that's far cheaper than oem is bad (far cheaper than dealer cost, not from marked up consumer price). Corners are typically cut somewhere to be able to get that much cost out of it (poor grade metal, thinner metal, not cutting holes or embossing for marker lights, etc). Thats not to say that price always dictates quality, but if something is 1/4 oem dealer cost, you have to wonder how they can afford to make it and still turn a profit.
  • If you buy dirt cheap parts, you should either expect it not to look 100% (doesn't line up right, minor imperfections in the surface, etc) or you should expect to have to put time/money into having it fixed and finished.
  • Not all fitment issues are caused by cheap replacement panels. Depending what caused the damage, the mount locations may need to be straightened or modified to get it to fit up right (say if the car was in an accident).
  • If you plan to have a body shop prep/paint/ or install it, make sure the estimate you get from them is using this exact part. You dont want to get surprised when they hike the cost up to make a cheap part fit right.
  • If you want the nicest look without buying brand new oem, a junkyard is another good option. Find a car that's been wrecked elsewhere and just nab the straight panel. Even if it needs a color change, id still rather have an oem part to start with.
  • Watch out for high shipping costs. Some places will rope you in with a blazing deal and then charge you hundreds of dollars to ship it for "handling".

Imp42017 03-27-2017 06:22 PM

I have not done one on a Monte or on my Impala's I do know there are many yards around that has cars that one can take parts from. One that most likely could be same color and things like that...

The one I used on a different car I had to buy a Aftermarket because there was no cars around me with type fender i needed and GM wanted 400 for the fender. The one i bought cost me 120 and only issue I had was there was a bracket hole that was missing that came on the OEM. Other then that it was a good fit. Hardest part was having to paint it to match.

So if I was able to find something even local or some miles away. I would try and get it at a parts place off a wrecked car.

You can get people all around the US that is willing to pull parts from Pick N Pull and will ship to you... Infact I think there is 2 02 in my area that are in my yard that has good fenders. What is your color? I know there is a Black white and green in my area yard. Not sure the cost because the listing for cost is confusing me lol

Again if there is a color that isn't around me. you can go to the website and sign up and when you find the car type you want you can put in a request for the fender. It will then go out and a part puller may have one in the yard they are at. Take a Picture, Contact you and if you want it they can pull and ship it to you.

ideas I love Ideas...

James

Imp42017 03-27-2017 07:23 PM

I thought I would look at Ebay you said that they had some. To tell you the truth. the one that I looked at they have sold 194 of the drivers side and not one bad complaint on them that I could find on the bad complaints they have. With the rating they have of over 1 million and selling over 19 thousand items in the last month. I would say for the Price of under 70 and free shipping that is where I would put my money. Plus at 52% off normal price.

Fender For 2000-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Front Driver Primed Steel | eBay

James

Huckster 03-28-2017 06:49 AM

After marker fender

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 701655)
I'll admit that I don't own or run a body shop nor do I have experience with this exact piece.

I did work at a shop for a few years that dabbled in flipping wrecked cars for side income.

A couple of thoughts on this:
  • Generally anything aftermarket that's far cheaper than oem is bad (far cheaper than dealer cost, not from marked up consumer price). Corners are typically cut somewhere to be able to get that much cost out of it (poor grade metal, thinner metal, not cutting holes or embossing for marker lights, etc). Thats not to say that price always dictates quality, but if something is 1/4 oem dealer cost, you have to wonder how they can afford to make it and still turn a profit.
  • If you buy dirt cheap parts, you should either expect it not to look 100% (doesn't line up right, minor imperfections in the surface, etc) or you should expect to have to put time/money into having it fixed and finished.
  • Not all fitment issues are caused by cheap replacement panels. Depending what caused the damage, the mount locations may need to be straightened or modified to get it to fit up right (say if the car was in an accident).
  • If you plan to have a body shop prep/paint/ or install it, make sure the estimate you get from them is using this exact part. You dont want to get surprised when they hike the cost up to make a cheap part fit right.
  • If you want the nicest look without buying brand new oem, a junkyard is another good option. Find a car that's been wrecked elsewhere and just nab the straight panel. Even if it needs a color change, id still rather have an oem part to start with.
  • Watch out for high shipping costs. Some places will rope you in with a blazing deal and then charge you hundreds of dollars to ship it for "handling".

I remember years ago at an Oldsmobile dealership a brochure in waiting room. They showed a GM body part vs a after market part. Like you say, not exactly same fitting. Wasn't sure now if they are better quality now or not that is why I asked on this site. Turns out my Insurance Company will have fender replaced. So, don't need to do my own repair. Only need to pay deductable. And I'm sure higher premiums now....

Huckster 03-28-2017 06:59 AM

After market fender

Originally Posted by Imp42017 (Post 701660)
I have not done one on a Monte or on my Impala's I do know there are many yards around that has cars that one can take parts from. One that most likely could be same color and things like that...

The one I used on a different car I had to buy a Aftermarket because there was no cars around me with type fender i needed and GM wanted 400 for the fender. The one i bought cost me 120 and only issue I had was there was a bracket hole that was missing that came on the OEM. Other then that it was a good fit. Hardest part was having to paint it to match.

So if I was able to find something even local or some miles away. I would try and get it at a parts place off a wrecked car.

You can get people all around the US that is willing to pull parts from Pick N Pull and will ship to you... Infact I think there is 2 02 in my area that are in my yard that has good fenders. What is your color? I know there is a Black white and green in my area yard. Not sure the cost because the listing for cost is confusing me lol

Again if there is a color that isn't around me. you can go to the website and sign up and when you find the car type you want you can put in a request for the fender. It will then go out and a part puller may have one in the yard they are at. Take a Picture, Contact you and if you want it they can pull and ship it to you.

ideas I love Ideas...

James

That is a good idea, a salvage yard would be better. Usually southern or western yards would be best. No rust on those body parts. My Insurance co. will have a body shop replace and install new fender, repair hood and repaint both so guess it's out of my hands now. THANK GOD!😄🇺🇸

steveinri 03-29-2017 04:57 AM

Last fall I replaced the rotted drivers side fender on my 02 SS with a $70 one from Amazon. It fit just fine I had to shim the bottom slightly and was able to tweak the back edge to align it with the door by carefully pushing and pulling. There is really no adjustment in the screw holes. I painted the new fender inside and out and also sprayed Rusfre (a waxy substance) inside. For a 15 year old car it worked out great.

bumpin96monte 03-30-2017 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Huckster (Post 701667)
I remember years ago at an Oldsmobile dealership a brochure in waiting room. They showed a GM body part vs a after market part. Like you say, not exactly same fitting. Wasn't sure now if they are better quality now or not that is why I asked on this site. Turns out my Insurance Company will have fender replaced. So, don't need to do my own repair. Only need to pay deductable. And I'm sure higher premiums now....

I think there will always be cheap knockoffs that don't fit well. You'd think the freedom of information from the Internet would help weed out the bad places, but it seems to make it worse as companies can open multiple online stores and easily change their names. Plus you'll always have people looking for a smoking deal that don't know any better and are blinded by the crazy prices.