Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Other Professional Racing.. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/other-professional-racing-28/)
-   -   Wanna Race ? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/other-professional-racing-28/wanna-race-26002/)

Space 02-11-2011 09:14 AM

Wanna Race ?

Below artictle written by one of our Member's: Mac Demere. It was on my Valvoline NewsLetter...
http://valvoline.com/images/car-care...070501rc00.jpg
Wanna Race?

WANTED: Racecar drivers. No experience necessary.

Created by Mac Demere

Mac Demere - LinkedIn

Greenville, South Carolina Area - Freelance auto writer, Tire Safety Expert Witness, Product Training

Mac Demere is a freelance automotive writer, vehicle tester, driving instructor, accomplished race driver, 18-wheeler driver and performance driver for ...
www.linkedin.com/in/macdemere

You can become a race driver. It's easy. It doesn't (have to) take a lot of money. Mechanical experience isn't required and on-the-job training will be provided. I started racing on a very moderate salary. I had no formal training in auto mechanics and I wound up running in the Rolex 24 at Daytona and NASCAR Southwest Tour against the likes of Michele Alboreto and Jeff Gordon.
Requirements

Here is what's required: Commitment in an abundant quantity. You'll know you're approaching an adequate level of commitment to racing when your significant other shouts, "You love racing more than you love me!" and you respond: "Yes, dear, and your point is...?" I know talented drivers who aren't going to make it in racing because they refuse to risk secure, high-paying jobs and loving relationships. And I know far more who have torn up marriages, squandered inheritances, and committed felonies in order to go racing. Others paid the ultimate price. After watching a friend die on national television, my wife said: "Anyone who marries a race driver is an idiot!" "Does that include you?" I asked. "Yes!" she responded. Compared to racing, drug addiction is an inexpensive pastime. If your commitment just fluttered, click over to golf.com.
Upon learning that I drove racecars, people often say, "I've always wanted to do that!" Especially if the speaker has an expensive car and an expansive house, I reply, "Not very much or you would have!" If you really want to be a racer—want it bad enough—you will become a racer. I'm not implying that you can make it to NASCAR or Formula One. But you'll be a racer!
Be Professional

The best way to get into racing is to treat it as if you're planning to start a business. This is true whether you've just won the Powerball lottery or are still in school. Before shelling out franchise fees, savvy entrepreneurs spend time learning and working in their targeted industry. Before you think about buying a racecar, do these three things: Expand your mechanical knowledge, volunteer to work on a race team, and develop your driving skill. My advice: Put off buying a racecar until you've run a few races.
First, start a self-directed study program in racecar mechanics. Read a basic auto mechanics textbook or—even better—take a course at your local community college. (Engineering school graduates: This especially applies to you.) Memorize every book and every video you can find on racecar preparation. Even the well funded need to know how a racecar works. Save books with "engineering" or "technology" in the title for last. Before you redesign suspensions, you need to know which way to turn a lug wrench. Devour every racecar driving advice book and video.
Pay Your Dues

Next, look for a struggling amateur or semi-pro team that needs help. Volunteer to work evenings and weekends washing parts, sorting tires, loading trailers, and the hundreds of mundane chores required to keep even the smallest race team running. It was easy to find teams eager for free help, especially if I brought beer. Don't expect them to teach—or pay—you anything. Your compensation will be the learning opportunity. Another option: The mechanic's training programs offered by big-name racing schools. Make sure the curriculum includes a lot of driving experience. Getting on the payroll for a professional racing team is not the best choice if you want to be a driver. They already have all the wheel turners they can use.
Simultaneously, get some low-cost driving experience. "Slick track"-type karts at your local fun park are a great way to learn car control. After you've mastered the art of catching a sliding tail, step up to the much faster machines available at the "indoor kart" facilities found in most metropolitan areas. Also, spend a lot of time on the autocross (a.k.a. Solo II) course: Your current, well-maintained road car is eligible.
Don't Buy a Racecar

Here's why you should not buy a racecar (or kart) until you have run at least a few races: The cost for one season of racing will likely match—and may far exceed—the purchase price of a racecar. And that doesn't include tow truck, trailer, and tools. Don't buy a $10,000 racecar without another 10 grand in the bank and a tow truck and trailer in the driveway, or else you'll become a racecar owner, not a driver.
Instead of buying a car, search for a "rent-a-racer" program. These can be found for almost every category from shifter karts to Champ cars. Choices range from red-carpet "arrive-and-drive" programs, where the company provides everything but your personal safety gear, to bare bones offerings that require you to transport the car and perform at-track work. One big advantage of renting: If you discover you don't like wearing fireproof underwear and scaring yourself to death every few seconds—or you can't drive a nail into sand—you can quit without having to unload a used racecar, tow truck, trailer and tools.
Rental prices start as low as $200 per race for a shifter kart. A friend wins Pony stock races at his local dirt track for $300 per race. Legends cars, a preferred class for those aspiring to NASCAR, go for between $650 and $1,300 a race. For my first race, I paid $450 to rent a beat up street-stock car: I drove it to the track. It wasn't the Daytona 500 but I was racing! Besides, racecars are like sex: Even when they're bad, they're still pretty good.
Another option: Look for a driver who's running out of cash. (That's most of them!) Offer to sponsor him in exchange for some seat time—perhaps in preliminary or novice races. Suggest that you pay off his debt with the race-tire vendor in exchange for driving. (If you've paid a tire bill from a checkbook marked "Children's Education Fund," you might be a racer. I'm guilty as charged.)
Start Wherever

Don't be picky about which class or category you start in. But if you have the choice, two of the best entry-level options are shifter karts and Legends cars. If you're fast in a shifter kart, you'll be able to drive anything. I've piloted virtually every type of racecar. Shifter karts are no less demanding than Champ or Indy cars. Another endorsement for karts: It's where almost every top professional racer started his career and many continue to drive karts to hone their skills in the off-season. Also from personal experience, Legends cars require similar driving and chassis setup skills as those needed in NASCAR. Since Legends are a one-design "spec" class—the cars are mechanically identical—you'll get immediate (though likely ego-crushing) feedback on your driving and setup skills.
Race School

When to attend a professional racing school depends on money. If funding is not an object, it's better if you go to a school before your first race. However, my choice was between racing and a school, so I went racing. Here's a better option for those with limited funds: Attend a kart or Legends school. Price is a fraction of car schools, but the learning experience is nearly identical.
Don't think about going racing too long. Otherwise, you'll be 40 or 60 or on your deathbed, saying: "I should have tried."

Space 02-11-2011 09:41 AM

Bonus, below are some more great articles/infor from Valvoline ~> EnJoyhttp://contenta.mkt2218.com/ra/2011/...ges_spacer.gifhttp://contenta.mkt2218.com/ra/2011/...DM1_banner.jpg

February is Here and It's Time to Racehttp://contenta.mkt2218.com/ra/2011/...ges_spacer.gifhttp://contenta.mkt2218.com/ra/2011/...ges_spacer.gifThe 2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series kicks off from Daytona in just a few weeks. This year's schedule gives racers a more challenging lineup and provides more intrigue for the fans. Visit valvoline.com often for the latest news straight from the track.

http://contenta.mkt2218.com/ra/2011/...20030901lc.jpghttp://contenta.mkt2218.com/ra/2011/...ges_spacer.gif
Protecting Your Automotive HideYou've paid a lot of extra money for that beautiful leather interior. Find out how to keep it clean, protected and looking its best.Read More
http://contenta.mkt2218.com/ra/2011/...20030801ia.jpg
http://contenta.mkt2218.com/ra/2011/...ges_spacer.gifWandering WoesWhen you're driving and your car doesn't go where you want -- it's alarming. The problem could be your steering idler arm. Find out what to do.Read More
http://contenta.mkt2218.com/ra/2011/...ges_spacer.gifAlso This Monthhttp://contenta.mkt2218.com/ra/2011/...ges_spacer.gifhttp://contenta.mkt2218.com/ra/2011/...ges_spacer.gif
Racing the Way it Used to Be
Red Light Cameras
Your Biggest Bang for the Buck
Riding in Cars with Pets
Parking Lot Safety
http://contenta.mkt2218.com/ra/2011/...ges_spacer.gif

Space 02-11-2011 09:47 AM

http://valvoline.com/images/car-care...erformance.jpg
http://valvoline.com/images/common/addthis.gif
http://valvoline.com/images/car-care...030201dr00.jpg The Golden Years of Drag Racing

A look back at one of the world's most popular motorsports

Created by Chuck Schifsky It started out as a wild activity practiced by hoodlums in hopped-up cars, but over the course of a few decades, drag racing would ultimately transform itself into one of the world's most popular motorsports. Drag races after World War II were held on military runways, growing out of speed runs (sanctioned and otherwise) on California's dry lakes. Many recognize Goleta Air Base north of Santa Barbara, California as the site of the first organized drag race in 1949. These early drag strips were temporary facilities with no safety barriers or grandstands—just pavement, people and fast cars. Thousands of spectators turned out to watch early racers run 10-second elapsed times (E.T.s) on the measured quarter-mile—a distance chosen because it was about the length of a city block. Most cars were driven to the track or towed to the races on open trailers. Corporate sponsorship and glistening transporter trucks were far in the unimaginable future.
Top Fuelers

Wally Parks founded NHRA in 1951, but the sport took a while to get rolling. Even 10 years later, NHRA still only had two competition classes: unmodified Stock or Top Eliminator where anything went. Well, almost anything. In 1957, citing increased cost and danger, and NHRA outlawed nitromethane, which was becoming the popular fuel in Top Eliminator.
With the fuel restriction in effect, the fastest dragsters running in NHRA competition burned gasoline, while most non-NHRA tracks allowed nitro. Two of the best gas dragsters were the Albertson Olds and the Dragmaster Dart. Owned by Dode Martin and Jim Nelson, the Dart was a formidable force and the pair used it as a template to build cars for customers such as Pete Robinson, Roland Leong, and Mickey Thompson.
Perhaps the best remembered part of drag racing in these early days was the low-tech approach of using a flagman to start races. Few sights were as entertaining as a flagman leaping off the ground, waving his green flag as two cars screamed off the line. However, 1963 proved to be a turning point in drag racing's development when tracks replaced flag starters with the electronic "Christmas tree" starting system and NHRA removed its nitro ban. Competition became fairer and NHRA's quickest E.T.s dropped almost a second, while speeds jumped 20 mph. Despite Top Fuel's rebirth, NHRA continued to sanction gas dragsters until 1971, highlighted by twin-engine monsters like the Peters and Frank Freight Train.
In the early 1960s, Top Fuelers moved from wide and short to long and thin. Wheelbases went from 100 inches to 120 in less than two years as teams struggled for better traction. Smoking the tires for the entire quarter-mile was the norm, but certainly didn't produce the quickest runs. One team that figured this out was Greer-Black-Prudhomme. Led by one of drag racing's savviest tuners, Keith Black, the GBP dragster used a special Schiefer clutch designed to slip just enough to keep from overpowering the rear tires. The car consistently ran 8s, producing an amazing 236 to 7 win-loss record from 1962 through 1964, launching Prudhomme's career as a legendary driver.
As drag racing grew during the mid-1960s, it also entered its most colorful era. In addition to NHRA, dozens of organizations promoted or sanctioned races including American Hot Rod Association (AHRA), United Drag Racers Association (UDRA), Professional Dragster Association (PDA), U.S. Fuel and Gas Championships, Pomona Valley Timing Association, and World Series of Drag Racing. Publications such as "Hot Rod Magazine" and "Drag News" with its Mr. Eliminator list brought drag racing to your mailbox long before live TV. Memorable tracks included Lions, Bakersfield, Pomona, Indianapolis, and many more. The best drivers had nicknames including "T.V. Tommy" Ivo, Connie "Bounty Hunter" Kalitta, "Big Daddy" Don Garlits, and Chris "The Golden Greek" Karamesines.
Class Wars

Full-bodied cars were not to be left behind thanks to Detroit manufacturers' involvement. In 1962, NHRA introduced Factory Experimental (FX), signaling the separation between street cars and race cars. It's difficult to tell from today's Super Stock, Pro Stock and Funny Cars that they're descendents of the same class. After General Motors pulled out of drag racing in 1963, Ford heated up the Super Stock wars in 1964 with its Fairlane Thunderbolt. That same year, Chrysler countered by installing its new 426 Hemi engine in lightweight Dodge and Plymouth bodies. In 1965, Ford switched to FX, while Chrysler built both Super Stockers and FX cars.
FX cars were highly modified stock vehicles with the front and rear wheels moved forward to shift weight rearward for better traction. Toss in a fiberglass hood, bumpers and fenders; add a nitro-burning engine and you've got an all-out FX car. Some of the hottest early FX cars included "Dyno" Don Nicholson's Comet, the Malco Gasser and Gas Rhonda Mustangs and the Mr. Norm's Dodge. By 1966, the sparse rules allowed manufacturers to build even more radical machines. Mercury led the charge by having Logghe Stamping build four tube chassis cars for different teams around the U.S. Each had a straight front axle and the driver sat in the center. Ford 427 single overhead cam "Cammer" V-8 engines on nitro provided power. Most radical were the one-piece fiberglass bodies—the first ever produced. Without working doors, each Comet body hinged at the rear of the chassis so it could be lifted for the driver to enter—a design still used today on what we now know as Funny Cars.
But, where did that leave the Super Stock class? Well, even though the Big Three were building some of the hottest cars to ever grace a showroom, there were few Super Stockers built after 1966. The lone exception was the limited run of 1968 Hemi Barracudas and Dodge Darts, many of which still run in Super Stock today. By 1970, NHRA needed a way to keep car manufacturers interested in drag racing as Funny Cars strayed farther from stock vehicles. NHRA's solution was Pro Stock. Unlike Super Stock, which featured cars with stock engines and bodies, Pro Stockers ran radical big-block race engines, yet retained factory bodywork. Popular drivers included Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins, Dick Landy, Sox & Martin, and later, Bob Glidden.
Funny Cars

As Funny Cars grew in popularity, Top Fuelers no longer drew big crowds. By 1969, many dragster drivers had switched to Funny Cars. However, a memorable, yet tragic event in March 1970 would change Top Fuel forever. While leaving the starting line at Lions Drag Strip, Don Garlits' front-motored dragster suffered a huge transmission explosion, cutting the car in half and severing Garlits' right foot. What is now regarded as one of drag racing's great defining moments, Garlits decided he'd never drive a dragster with the engine in front again and vowed to build a viable rear-engined car. Even though many tried the rear-engine format, no one had been successful. At the 1971 Winternationals in Pomona, Garlits drove his rear-engined Swamp Rat XIV to the Top Fuel victory. Thanks to Garlits' perseverance and with help from chassis builder Connie Swingle, the two solved steering problems that plagued other rear-engine cars and Top Fuel was changed forever. Within two years, every competitive Top Fuel car had the engine behind the driver.
By the mid-1970s, drag racing had again advanced. IHRA was launched as a new sanctioning body, while AHRA was fading. Large corporations now sponsored individual Top Fuel and Funny Car teams, allowing them to transition from volunteer help to paid crewmembers, while rolling workshops replaced tiny homebuilt trailers. In 1975, Winston became NHRA's first Series sponsor, helping boost prize money and establishing an annual points fund. For the first time, NHRA had true national champions in each of its nine classes. Drag racing had entered the big time and there was no turning back.
As drag racing entered the 1980s, Funny Cars had surpassed Top Fuel as the most popular class. IHRA dropped Top Fuel altogether and NHRA was having trouble filling 16 car Top Fuel fields. However, this death sentence proved premature. By 1985, Top Fuel was again the fan favorite thanks to sponsors like Mr. Gasket and the return of Don Garlits to NHRA competition after a 5-year absence. By the early 1990s, Funny Car ace Don Prudhomme moved back to Top Fuel and John Force took over as the king of Funny Cars, winning 11 NHRA championships in the process. Kenny Bernstein also made the transition to Top Fuel and recorded the sport's first 300-mph run in 1992, a mark few thought attainable only 10 years earlier. Dragstrips kept pace with car performance by improving track surfaces, while fans enjoyed upgraded spectator amenities. As NHRA celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2001, drag racing has been positioned to remain one of the world's favorite motorsports for years to come.

Space 02-11-2011 02:43 PM

Hi Member's,
You got to watch the below 2 vid's `if U really want to `laugh
4-Sure
First one is a Wild Look'in Mustang with a chute : )
2nd Vid is a Laugh Your A `Off 4-Real : )
I think it's time that U laughed :D LOL

`1.

wanna_race
22 sec - Mar 17, 2010
Uploaded by zwalapl
youtube.com

Do you wanna race??
1 min - Mar 7, 2007
Uploaded by henbis
youtube.com

For more vid's
Videos for Wanna Race