Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Other Professional Racing.. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/other-professional-racing-28/)
-   -   My E60 m5 vs just about everything lol (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/other-professional-racing-28/my-e60-m5-vs-just-about-everything-lol-50281/)

Habbibie 09-05-2014 06:46 PM

My E60 m5 vs just about everything lol

Since I bought my m5 11 months ago I been kinda racing it every time I get a chance, I recently been at the top of my game at work and my income has increased by 150%, so I decided that 60% of my extra income goes into my car (I've been holding out to modifying any car I own till I start earning a reasonable income that can support modifying a car), well recently I been in that position and I am not holding out.

I have 4 cars in my name, a 2001 Nissan pathfinder, a 2003 Monte Carlo LS 500k+ miles, a 2013 BMW 328xi truly for my wife not me, and my recent personal toy a 2006 BMW M5, I've debaged the M5 and swapped fenders with a 550I, rebadged it as a 535I and and only thing that might give away it's true colors are the dual exhaust and the engine noise but many won't be able to tell till it's too late ;-)

Recently I bought a vortec supercharger kit for the M5, fastest 12k I've ever spent. I tried installing it my self but I failed due to lack of specialty tools and some tuning issues. So I realized this problem at 10pm Wednesday this week, I called my friend who has more BMW knowlage than me, he also works at sutton high performance here in the Chicago area( they specialize in fords but also work on other brands), he came by tried to figure out whats what and decided by 12:20 to call his boss who had no problem opening his shop at 1am with half the staff already waiting on our arrival with the m5. ( I prefer paying a shop to fix my car than to pay for a rental any time) so anyways supercharged is installed and now dyno tuned, and exhaust, dual CAI, new clutch and carbon fiber wheels (which look identical to that of a E63 m6 wheels painted silver) and drag radials installed on the rear wheels, Tien coil-overs too. Now I have a 580 WHP pushing 7psi missile and I have done noting but kill almost every car insight, such as 2nd gen cts-v, vipers, vettes z06 and base, AMG cars, Ferrari's, a Bentley continental gt, Nissan GTR R35! and some other odd cars here and there.

I must say having a high hp car is fun but I'm here (because on the other forums I'm at they're just a bunch of idiots who know nothing about making power beside the obvious) so I'm here asking some of the mechanically inclined members what should be my next step? I obviously want more power, handling is great for street use and I want to keep that, power can always increase but I don't want a race gas 100+ octane tune nor do I want to shot NOS. Weight reduction is also out of the question! Any ideas, I know this is out of the chevy (American/domestic) field but engines are all the same! Any suggestions? My budget currently Is $6,500 but that will increase by about 8% (or $500) weekly! I estimate my E60 to be a mid 10's-low 11's right now, I don't like the atmosphere of the legal drag racing theme so I won't be going to the track anytime soon to figure out what my real numbers are but I'm happy with where I'm at, I want more though lol....

Ps. I want the car to look as stock as possible, I'm running stock m6 wheels w/slicks and I want to maintain the sleeper look so no visual upgrades suggestions please even though the M lip kit kinda gives it off too I'm planning on removing that lip kit.

turbo monte 09-05-2014 11:34 PM

Heads, cam, fuel system upgrades, pulley drop, better heat exchanger if needed, ported tb, e85 tune, options are endless :)

Habbibie 09-06-2014 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by turbo monte (Post 629456)
Heads, cam, fuel system upgrades, pulley drop, better heat exchanger if needed, ported tb, e85 tune, options are endless :)

Alrighty then. That was a big enough list, thank you sir

turbo monte 09-06-2014 07:58 AM

:) main thing when building any car is making sure the fuel system is plenty big enough. Better to have a fuel system too big then one to small limiting your power and chance of going lean and popping the engine!

Habbibie 09-14-2014 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by turbo monte (Post 629486)
:) main thing when building any car is making sure the fuel system is plenty big enough. Better to have a fuel system too big then one to small limiting your power and chance of going lean and popping the engine!

Ok turbo monte I been on the hunt for a drop in high flow fuel pump but I am so far out of luck, what are my options now? Either keep looking for a pump or go the route of external fuel cell with a high flow pump. If I go that route I have many questions that exceed my mechanical skills/knowlage.

Some questions would be
1. I want a decent sized fuel cell 15 gallons at the minimum, do u recommend any brands/types?
2. Fuel pump, brand? Inlet diameter? In tank or inline? How many GPH?
3. Should I upgrade the size of my fuel lines? I believe they're 3/8 right now
4. How big of a fuel injector would I need to match to the pump?

turbo monte 09-15-2014 09:37 AM

I don't know a whole lot about fuel cells but I do know if you use an external pump the fuel may get too hot and then you will need a fuel cooler as well.

Injectors get upgraded when you max them out, you scan with tuning software to know if and when they are maxed out.

Upgraded fuel lines are not a bad idea when adding a massive pump.

If your rails are a restriction you will want to upgrade them and also upgrade the fuel pump regulator.

If I were you I would fabricate the bucket to drop in a bigger pump in factory tank, 1 size bigger on feed line only, injectors if needed.

Another thing to remember is most platforms the factory pump can handle a size bigger injector it's when you need 2+ size bigger injector the pump gets too small and can't keep up.

Habbibie 09-15-2014 12:26 PM

Ok cool thank u sir

turbo monte 09-15-2014 09:26 PM

No problem :thumbsup:

bumpin96monte 09-19-2014 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Habbibie (Post 629431)
I must say having a high hp car is fun but I'm here (because on the other forums I'm at they're just a bunch of idiots who know nothing about making power beside the obvious) so I'm here asking some of the mechanically inclined members what should be my next step? I obviously want more power, handling is great for street use and I want to keep that, power can always increase but I don't want a race gas 100+ octane tune nor do I want to shot NOS. Weight reduction is also out of the question! Any ideas, I know this is out of the chevy (American/domestic) field but engines are all the same! Any suggestions? My budget currently Is $6,500 but that will increase by about 8% (or $500) weekly! I estimate my E60 to be a mid 10's-low 11's right now, I don't like the atmosphere of the legal drag racing theme so I won't be going to the track anytime soon to figure out what my real numbers are but I'm happy with where I'm at, I want more though lol....

Sounds like a cool setup. You say you want more power, but that makes me wonder 2 things:
-how well are you hooking up now? I know you've got DR's, but hooking big power especially from a dig can be tough on the street. You've got some benefit from the extra weight of the car but it's not as much fun if you can only roll race it.
-any idea what the power limits are for the powertrain? I'm sure it's a beefy setup stock, but the parts are only overdesigned by so much. Once you get to the point of having to upgrade hard parts (engine bottom end, trans, rear end, etc), the costs could start really going up especially since upgrade parts are probably hard to come by. You're not just going to slap a turbo 400 and a ford 9" in that thing to put big power down (although you could, lol).

As far as more power, you can certainly make more as you've stated- an engine is an engine for the most part. However IMO the ultra-high compression is not ideal for a big boost setup. What kind of power gains are you looking for?

If you're looking at a substantial increase, then IMO you don't have a lot of headroom left with that head unit. From what I remember, I think they're only rated for like 1000ish cfm and 700-750 hp. If you're doing 580+ whp already, you're probably just under 700 crank hp depending on drivetrain loss - so you're certainly closing in on the flow limits.

A lot of the vette guys will go to a V7 YSi as an upgraded head unit since they're good for 1500+cfm and over 1000 hp. Plus, it's designed to have relatively small packaging and work with a lot of the normal Vortech mounts and such. Another alternative is to switch over to a different supercharger like the F1 series from procharger- or even go to a turbo seutp. The killer for really cranking the boost is probably going to be that high static compression. Some custom pistons to get the CR down under 10 would really help in optimizing it as a boosted setup.

For other increases/supporting mods for more boost, you could consider a larger intercooler (although that could be tough trying to make an enormous IC look stock). Another idea is aftermarket headers if they make them- or a good custom fab shop could build some. Another potential option is rear end ratio- you've got a 7 speed trans, so obviously top gear RPM isn't a concern. If you stuck a steep rear end ratio in there, that would improve acceleration. My last thought is for going with aftermarket cams- at the expense of idle quality, gas mileage, and low end driveability- you can probably have some cams custom ground that will provide a noticeable power increase.

I'm not sure all the details of your current setup, but what about E85 or meth injection? Either would buy you more headroom to crank the boost higher.

You should consult whoever tuned your car about fuel system upgrades going forward. They should be intimately familiar with how much headroom your injectors have left, and if there were any signs of running out of pump at the top end. IMO I wouldn't do a fuel cell though, that would be tacky in a car like that, especially if you're trying to keep the stock look/feel. A good fab shop could certainly fab up a drop in replacement that mounts a larger aftermarket pump(s) in your stock tank- and you can always buy a speed controller to slow the pumps down around town so you aren't overheating the fuel.

It really should be no problem getting more power out of it as long as money isn't much of a concern, but my biggest worries would still be putting the power down and starting to break hard parts. I've seen people do this in Vettes- there is a sweet spot up to 600-700whp where you can put the power down with excellent tires/DRs and not constantly tear up parts- but people still push to get the magic 1k+ whp number for bragging rights and by that point, the car becomes a roll racer that needs built everything at extreme cost (bottom end, trans/rear end, axles, etc etc).

Space 09-20-2014 06:38 AM

>More POWER= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = >

Hi `Frank, John, Bump'in & Member's,
Great thread & information on performance 4-Sure.

Henry, do you have any pictures of your engine ?
Please post/share `if you do ?

Keep us updated on what upgrades you do & how they worked out ? :thumbsup: