Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Things That Make You Go.. AGH!!! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/things-make-you-go-agh-17135/)

rj 11-17-2009 12:20 PM

Things That Make You Go.. AGH!!!

I thought I posted this yesterday? But I musted have hit the close window X instead of posting?

Friday afternoon we went and got the renewal sticker for the Pace car. And we quickly found out that Ohio now has a late fee attached to vehicle registration renewals. Something they NEVER had before.

You bet it angered me. :(

Cause the fee is $20.

The license place has a sign on the wall that reads the fee "MAY" be attached. When I protested stating the sign does not read "WILL" be attached the employee told me "You will be paying the $20 today." AND "Deal with it!" She also brought to my attention, "It's only $20." (like we all have an extra $20 floating out of our bodies at all times)

I told her I was glad she made $20/hr cause I don't. So this $20 is something I couldn't afford.

So............. if you don't have your vehicle registration renewed within 7 days of your B-day, it's now $20 on top of the registration fee. Oh, and that itself doubled like 5 years ago.

I sent a nice email to the Ohio BMV yesterday complaining. More about the $20 late fee then anything else. I stated if Ohio would stop the free driver's license to illegal aliens they wouldn't need to charge those of us who do pay taxes this extra fee. I also said I hope this wouldn't be Politically Incorrect by saying this.

NOTE: not trying to offend anyone here. just stating this extra $20 out of my pocket offends..... ME!!! #$$^&*%# :(

Looks like we now have a tax on top of our tax. License registration is nothing more then a tax to use the roads. You know. Roads your tax money helped build to begin with.

Say does that make the $20 late fee triple taxation?
1. my tax money built the road.
2. they charge me to use the road.
3. late fee for not having my license renewed within 7 days of B-day.

RocknSS04 11-17-2009 02:53 PM

I think it's $10 here, but ya, same thing.

JAFO 11-17-2009 03:18 PM

Maybe I'm not seeing something here... it's a late fee? What bills can you pay late and they just grin and thank you for eventually paying them? If it was an arbitrary fee that on Tuesdays people in the north east quadrant of the state have to pay, well then I would understand but... Especially since the registration is due on your birthday... kind of hard to forget your birthday and then to tie it to the registration, seems like the state is doing you a favor, I almost missed my auto taxes one year because I never recieved the tax notice, luckily I was wshing the car and noticed that the sticker was less then a week from expiring.

Dude, it does suck that you had to pay a fine but... it was late. Not trying to offend but... dude...

Jomao_o 11-17-2009 04:44 PM

Ah, the opression continues...
I hate the term "illegal aliens" i know you don't mean to offend, but it hits a funny bone. X.X
..Who do you think built/are building the roads we drive our lovely Monte's on?
I think that this country has us (hispanics) painted like an obstacle, when we're just here to do what everyone else is doing, trying to survive and provide for our families.
IMO I think there are more blacks/whites on walfare/federal help than the us Hispanics, I also think its hard for you to put yourself in our shoes, when YOU WERE BORN with these rights, while ' we kinda have to earn them, but sorry to hear about your 20.00 fee. :)

Jomao_o 11-17-2009 04:46 PM

Sorry for the double post, what I originally came here to post.

I went AGH!! today as I saw the "check engine'' light come on. :(

skylark65 11-17-2009 05:03 PM

the national park system deciding that they wanna make one of my favorite and ONLY back roads around tourist traffic & all kinds of traffic lights ONE WAY!

AND the same park bullies dropping the state route 209 speed limit down to 35 from 55 through the park... and the road has brand new pavement, is wonderfully straight, has limited traffic and not a single house or bisness along it.... and they want us going 35... FRIGGIN..... MILES.... PER...... HOUR!! that road can easly handle speeds up to 70 mph... in a PICKUP TRUCK! uggh, it makes me angry!

Jomao_o 11-17-2009 05:11 PM

Hahaha Skylark, take it easy.
Get a radar detector, and YOU can easily do 75!! :P

rj 11-17-2009 07:57 PM

This late fee just started Oct 1, 2009.

I've been in before sometimes 3 months late to get the renewal sticker for my '57s before. Cause I didn't have the $$$ to purchase it when it ran out. And why have current registration on a vehicle that's going to set another 2 - 3 months before it's used.

Anyone know if you car get's stolen and used to damage property YOU get held responsible. By not having current registration on a vehicle in storage I figured it would at least give me an out "IF" any one of my '57s got stolen and ran through someone's house. Whether or not this would hold up in court, I can't say?

I'm not going to argue the point of who did what in this country. I just know my taxes help build whatever. Can any one of us point to a road, building, or structure and say, "Yep, I paid for that with the taxes removed from my weekly pay check." So being general in saying my with held taxes built something is a broad term.

I can definately say my grandfather did build roads in this country. Like the Alaskan Highway. I know he helped build that.

Back to the point. This late fee the BMV is now charging is nothing less then a tax on a tax. Call it what you want. You're only whitewashing the issue.

As a tax payer, and a registered voter and I do have the right to question any and all fees a local, state, or federal entity places on me. This includes someone acting as a branch of any of these entities too. So far that right hasn't been taken away.

Taz 11-17-2009 08:10 PM

One thing governments are always good for, is finding new ways to separate you from your money.

Ryan, we got a four lane highway (two lanes each direction) around here that does that too. Speed limit suddenly drops to an unbelievably slow speed. As if you were driving in a school zone. The cops love it. Always speed traps along that stretch.

skylark65 11-17-2009 09:01 PM

its absolutly horrible, isint it? the park rangers love to set a short ways into "their domain" where the speed limit drops from 45 MPH in a residential / resort aerea with tons of people to 35 in... well, nowhere, lol.
and jomao, i have a radar / lazer detector in the monte. its saved my butt a couple of times alwready, LOL. 75 mph? thats crusing speed :D