Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Should you be permitted to text/phone while driving ?
Yes : )
18.75%
No : (
81.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Should you be permitted to ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:26 PM

Its not illegal here in Cincinnati, Oh, but I personally believe it should be. I'll admit I do it all the time, at stop lights, long straight ways without other traffic, but there are just too many damn idiots!

An age limit might be an effective way to cut down on it, but in my experiences (1 year on the road alone) I've seen way more older people trying to figure out how to reply to a text and crash then younger people, but kids will get to easily distracted in longer messages. When I have time to read a long text at a stop light, but not reply I just hand the phone to my passenger to type out what I say.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

There are enough distraction thru out the day to be...

LOOk! A Really Klean 1st Gen!!

Ok, now what was i talking about?

I have been almost hit more then several times by people that have been so busy texting someone. There was a girl back in LA that rear ended the **** out of a cop car. She was so busy trying to text someone about what skirt to wear, that she never saw the light turn yellow or red. She nailed the cop car going 40. Never even touched the brakes.

So people, please use your bluetooth. I haev a cheap phone and a cheap bluetooth headset and its crystal clear.

Remember, i drive the streets with everyone else. I wouldn't want to get rear-ended by a nice Monte. I don't think it would survive hitting my van.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My thing is, Ive practiced driving with my knee since i was 14, and do it alot just driving lol. So texting isnt hard at all. I know alot of girls though that can barely drive and shouldnt be texting. And Jose, its way easier to text because you can just make a conversation and not have any akward moments, and it get a point across soon. If you call some one and say "meet me on main in 5 bye" they are going to think your nuts" also you can text alot of people at once, unlike phone calls.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 AM

I use to txt and drive with my old phone. I didn't even need to look to do it cause I have all the numbers memorized. But now I can't do it with my Droid Eris. It has a full keyboard that I'm still getting use to so I'd have to look away to the whole time I type which I think is stupid so I don't even try. They just made it illegal in the state of NH so I won't be doing it anymore anyways

Old 01-13-2010, 04:42 PM
CMC
10 Year Member

First off, Aaron McGruder was on point about text messaging. If you don't know what I'm talking about, search for Boondocks and text messaging. Second, there's nothing THAT important any of us have to talk about on the phone while driving. So in that regard, if you do it and get a ticket for it, own up to it and pay the ticket without whining about it.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:49 PM

If these are the people who cant find the restroom when they walk right into a store and a sign down the isle in big red and white letters says rest room, then yes.... It should be illegal. People above 65 should take a test every year, as well as others who get so many tickets or notices. People who tail gate me learn quickly about brake checks. People become better drivers if you scare them, trust me. My friend learned my trademarked braking procedures he taught a guy who was up his *** for no reason at all. I pay attention and respect other drivers unless they dont respect me haha. It's easy. Show them ****** who's boss...though not in your monte carlo. I stay a mile back away form everyone in Lucy. Anyone who works in retail deff. knows it should be illegal. There are a lot of idiots out there.

Last edited by PINKFLOYD_; 01-13-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:55 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thats all very true pinkfloyd, and I think the biggest distraction is my shiny dash top

Old 01-14-2010, 12:12 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

lol my biggest distraction is......................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........... .

Old 01-14-2010, 06:12 AM

I don't text while I drive and honestly I'm okay with talking and driving for the most part. If I'm in a situation where I need to concentrate a lot I'll just tell the other person to hold on and set the phone down without explaining. It's true that some people are more capable of multi-tasking than others but given the scenario, you know, propelling a huge chunk of metal, plastic, and glass at high speeds along side others and pedestrians- I just think it would be safe to just make it illegal.

Texting is going to require some visual resources, while talking is only going to (for the most part) demand your mental resources. I'm pretty sure both go hand in hand, but if you're talking about vision you really can't multitask at all. It's either all or nothing you know. It's not like our eyes can move independently on different objects to multitask as our mind might able to. Mentally speaking, most of us are capable of multitasking items on the fly. It's just not logical to allow the texting, two completely different ball parks.

Last edited by East; 01-14-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Last week I saw a cop in a marked cruiser on the side of the road on his cell phone. He finished his call just as I was passing by him. He merged into traffic only to pull over two blocks later. He had a cell phone call to answer.

Found it funny how the cop couldn't drive his cruiser because people kept calling him. (There was no partner in the car, btw.)

Quick Reply: Should you be permitted to ?