Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Salvaged car projects (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/salvaged-car-projects-37919/)

BlackRainSS 07-23-2012 03:04 PM

Salvaged car projects

I've just been looking around at salvage cars to take on as a project for fun anyway, not thinking too serious on the matter since I already have enough vehicles but I just found a few that tripped my trigger. the Monte Carlo looks like it'd be more work than its worth.
2004 MONTE CARLO SS - Northeast Iowa Auto Sales
Was seriously considering this stratus at one point and time but I've since changed my mind.
2003 STRATUS - Northeast Iowa Auto Sales
To me the front end just dosent look right, i mean besides the fact its wrecked it looks like something is bent in the front for sure
2008 G5 - Northeast Iowa Auto Sales
and this one looks like the front has too much damage for me to take on plus I hate anything with airbag issues
2008 G5 - Northeast Iowa Auto Sales

BlackRainSS 07-23-2012 03:07 PM

My main thing with the Monte is not only would the dash be a pain but when I had my LS they prior owner did a horrible job matching the paint on the hood to the rest of it. Maybe its just that experiance that ruined it for me but I have a feeling it'd be hard to match that smokey gray color.

lougreen03 07-23-2012 05:18 PM

You could just look for the same color monte in a junkyard and get the parts off that. They may not be a perfect match but close.

04chevyboy 07-24-2012 02:34 PM

i found an 00 pace car this winter with rear end damage i wanted soo badly to rebuild,some day i will tho!! lol

03JGMonte 07-24-2012 02:49 PM

Only one id take on is the monte, just blend the front into the doors & itll match, the G5s have pretty good structure damage it looks like & air bags are easy just put new bags & seatbelts it

BlackRainSS 07-24-2012 03:08 PM

True I was just looking aorund at prejects lol. For the moment I think I've shifted my project attettion to the truck. maybe some of you have seen my old maroon dodge in my albums, anyway I sold it awhile back and hadnt seen it too often even though the buyer lives about 8 miles from here. as I was cruising today I saw it I about fainted!! He put a 4 inch suspension lift on it and some big meaty tires, and of course some more decals lol anyway from a distance it looked amazing, later I found it and saw that every single bubble I felt under the paint had surfaced into rust. Didn't look as good up close, anyway that kinda motivated me to wanna lift my truck and stuff so I think I'll go that direction lol. Plus it'll save me insurance, tags and the extra matinence of another car.

Taz 07-24-2012 06:51 PM

I don't know. As far as resale value after being fixed, I don't think any of them are worth it. Especially if you're replacing the blown airbags.

The Monte and the second G5 both have airbag damage. So by your comments, they're both out.

The first G5 has too much damage.

The Stratus has more damage than first glance. Hail damage, a rusting scrape on the left rear, the front bumper is broken from a low speed front end collision. The hood looks to be slightly kinked on the driver side from the same front end collision that wrecked the bumper. In addition to the hail damage. Providing the front end isn't tweeked needing to be straightened out. The easiest thing to do would be just replace the hood completely.

Once you fix or replace everything wrong with the Stratus, you're still looking at a 10 year old Stratus. Is it really worth it to sink the money into it? I guess you could say the same with the 2004 Monte. Someone looking to buy a 2003 Stratus or a 2004 Monte could buy a better one for much cheaper than the cost of repairing those two.

BlackRainSS 07-24-2012 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 480773)
I don't know. As far as resale value after being fixed, I don't think any of them are worth it. Especially if you're replacing the blown airbags.

The Monte and the second G5 both have airbag damage. So by your comments, they're both out.

The first G5 has too much damage.

The Stratus has more damage than first glance. Hail damage, a rusting scrape on the left rear, the front bumper is broken from a low speed front end collision. The hood looks to be slightly kinked on the driver side from the same front end collision that wrecked the bumper. In addition to the hail damage. Providing the front end isn't tweeked needing to be straightened out. The easiest thing to do would be just replace the hood completely.

Once you fix or replace everything wrong with the Stratus, you're still looking at a 10 year old Stratus. Is it really worth it to sink the money into it? I guess you could say the same with the 2004 Monte. Someone looking to buy a 2003 Stratus or a 2004 Monte could buy a better one for much cheaper than the cost of repairing those two.

In the end thats the exact conclusion I came to. I decided against it mainly due to the facts of 1. It'd be a 3rd vehicle which I don't really need 2. since I don't really need it I'd probably ened up selling it or trying to in a few months to a year and with the title it wouldnt be worth what I had into it and of course 3.I've shifted attettion and funds towards my truck lol, not that sinking thousands into a lift kit, tires, rims and misc. other things into my truck would be a better worth cause it usually dosent affect resale value, but the truck is here to stay for a longer time