Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Possibly starting my own business (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/possibly-starting-my-own-business-19293/)

BeachBumMike 03-14-2010 11:30 AM

It's a
Beach'in Detail & Shine
by `Britanny

- "We intimidate all others"

Pensacola, Florida
- By appointment Only -
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i8.../spreadout.jpg
:eek: Free Tan's while you wait for perfection :)
Remember, It's a Beach'in Detail

bumpin96monte 03-14-2010 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90 (Post 207788)
i honestly dont have a buffer right now even though i was thinking about getting one & learning how to use it if i get really serious with this. but yeah the thought has crossed my mind but unfortunately i dont have any experience with an actual buffer =/ i just do the best i can with elbow grease right now :D

Honestly, if you plan to open a business- you're going to need some kind of electric buffer. Just doing a car every now and then by hand isn't a big deal- but doing even 1 a day will make it more than worth the cost of a good buffer to save your hands from hurting 24/7.

SpinEm_90 03-14-2010 01:40 PM

Justin, yeah you most def gotta point there. I’ve just never used a buffer & I’m afraid that I’ll screw up someones car using one lol
Mike, actually I will need some sort of logo design so if you ever get bored & wanna do something would u mind maybe designing one for me? That is after I get the name all sorted out
Jose, Yeah the camera I have now has like 10MP and is pretty nice. I’ve taken some before and after of the Monte in the past but I gotta find them lol yeah I most def think that the appointment thing will be a big hit. Idk if there are huge expensive cars like that but there are some nice ones around here most def.
Amy, really? That’s cool! I’ll most def keep you guys in mind if I have any like more professional questions about the whole thing
Tim, nice name ideas! Thanks =D
Black Bowtie, thanks for another good name idea =D
Becky, yeahh that’s what I’m worried about was the insurance stuff. IDK if my rents will let me do it if I have to do all of that. BTW nice looking business card. I’m pretty good at all of that designing stuff since I do it for my dads business and all =]
SpaceRider, ha that’s awesome =D too bad I’m not in Pensacola anymore =[
Bumpin, yeah if I can figure out how to use one I will most def get one but until then I’ll be hand doing it. I’ll be waxing my monte (again) and my moms car one right after another on Monday or Tuesday so we’ll see how I hold up doing 2 in one day

dustybird3 03-14-2010 02:09 PM

Another thing on the legal side, it may be overkill or it could save your rear, have contracts made up. Basically you want it to say you will do your very best to keep their property safe BUT you will not be held responsible for fire, theft, Acts of God, vandalism, things like that and have them sign it. That way about the only thing they can try to sue you for (there are soooooooo many sue-happy people out there) would be gross negligance on your part - but you'll always be professional so you should not need to worry about that ;) I have two-part carbonless contracts - they get one and I keep the other. I just made them up on my computer and took them to a local printer and had them printed. IF it ever came to them taking you to court, you'd have written proof that they signed off on. Always CYA (cover your, uhm, rear).

Depending on your parents home owners insurance company, they may be able to just get a "rider" on their policy. My business, home owners won't touch - too many chemicals, fire/explosion hazzards, and sharp objects, LOL, so I have to carry a seperate policy (which is actually cheaper and covers more than my home owners - makes no sense but I'm not complaining).

SpinEm_90 03-14-2010 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by dustybird3 (Post 208789)
Another thing on the legal side, it may be overkill or it could save your rear, have contracts made up. Basically you want it to say you will do your very best to keep their property safe BUT you will not be held responsible for fire, theft, Acts of God, vandalism, things like that and have them sign it. That way about the only thing they can try to sue you for (there are soooooooo many sue-happy people out there) would be gross negligance on your part - but you'll always be professional so you should not need to worry about that ;) I have two-part carbonless contracts - they get one and I keep the other. I just made them up on my computer and took them to a local printer and had them printed. IF it ever came to them taking you to court, you'd have written proof that they signed off on. Always CYA (cover your, uhm, rear).

Depending on your parents home owners insurance company, they may be able to just get a "rider" on their policy. My business, home owners won't touch - too many chemicals, fire/explosion hazzards, and sharp objects, LOL, so I have to carry a seperate policy (which is actually cheaper and covers more than my home owners - makes no sense but I'm not complaining).

Well I was thinking about the contract thing to be safe but I wasn’t sure if that would work or not. I’ve made stuff like that before so that’s why I thought of it. But thanks I’m sure since u mentioned it it would probably work lol. Yeah I gotcha. I’m just not sure if my rents will go through that much trouble but I’ll talk to them and see. I think one lady, where I get my snake’s food from, said I may be able to do it in her parking lot so idk I still gotta figure all that out too.

dustybird3 03-14-2010 03:38 PM

I had to sign a similar contract get my windows tinted so I don't see why not.

I know there are several around here that do mechanic work and auto painting in those storage building places that you can rent. Don't know if they have insurance or not.
You would not HAVE to have insurance (unless your state requires it) but if someone tripped over a cord and got hurt............ I didn't have insurance on my business for years but if something would have happened my home owners would have dropped me, of course it's a completely different kind of business too. I'd almost bet they could get a liability rider on their policy for what you are wanting to do.

Another option maybe, since you're thinking about appointments - make it mobile and do it on their property. We bring Intimidating Shine to you ;) My mechanic comes to me, I'm sure he charges a little more for the convienence but I don't have to go anywhere.

SpinEm_90 03-15-2010 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by dustybird3 (Post 208808)
I had to sign a similar contract get my windows tinted so I don't see why not.

I know there are several around here that do mechanic work and auto painting in those storage building places that you can rent. Don't know if they have insurance or not.
You would not HAVE to have insurance (unless your state requires it) but if someone tripped over a cord and got hurt............ I didn't have insurance on my business for years but if something would have happened my home owners would have dropped me, of course it's a completely different kind of business too. I'd almost bet they could get a liability rider on their policy for what you are wanting to do.

Another option maybe, since you're thinking about appointments - make it mobile and do it on their property. We bring Intimidating Shine to you ;) My mechanic comes to me, I'm sure he charges a little more for the convienence but I don't have to go anywhere.

oh i dont have to worry about other people bcuz it would just be me doing the work. yeah i was thinking about doing the mobile thing, like i said earlier though is that i would most def have to be careful since i'm so young and (not trying to be a snob) cute ya know.

JAFO 03-16-2010 04:57 AM

Mobile would be a real good idea, you get your foot in the door with one person at a business office and more co-workers will follow. Can spend all day at one place if things work out. Set-up Mondays at office complex A Tuesdays at office complex B... you get the idea.

If you had the resources a service body truck (toolboxes on the sides) with a gas powered pressure washer and you would be set! Look around, been seeing more and more of them for sale here in the south for whatever reason.

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90 (Post 209380)
...like i said earlier though is that i would most def have to be careful since i'm so young and (not trying to be a snob) cute ya know.

Shoot, I'm old fat and ugly and I'd still be cautious. Don't accept locations that are too rural and check them out before you do the job, if things don't feel right cancel. Or thats where a big dog and an even bigger gun come into play. :eek:

SpinEm_90 03-16-2010 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by JAFO (Post 209417)
Mobile would be a real good idea, you get your foot in the door with one person at a business office and more co-workers will follow. Can spend all day at one place if things work out. Set-up Mondays at office complex A Tuesdays at office complex B... you get the idea.

If you had the resources a service body truck (toolboxes on the sides) with a gas powered pressure washer and you would be set! Look around, been seeing more and more of them for sale here in the south for whatever reason.

Shoot, I'm old fat and ugly and I'd still be cautious. Don't accept locations that are too rural and check them out before you do the job, if things don't feel right cancel. Or thats where a big dog and an even bigger gun come into play. :eek:

Well I'm hoping to somehow combine my dad's business with mine but I really don't know if he will do it which is quite depressing on soo many levels :( but yeah i most def get what you are saying. yeah that would be a lot of help but for now the monte will have to do lol

Well wentzville is a pretty nice and big area so there arent that many rural areas really but regardless i'm gonna have to be on edge. people are freakin insane and crazy nowadays!