Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Planning On Buying A Classic!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
For the amount of money you want to spend and wanting T-Tops you could get a decent mid 80's Monte Carlo, Olds Cutlass, Pontiac Grand Prix, or Buick Regal. I don't think that money will get you a Gran National. It would also buy a decent Camaro IROC or a Pontiac Trans Am. For T-Top cars you could also look at 80's Mustangs and Dodge Daytonas. Any one of them will make a nice classic ride that in addition to being fun to drive should also appreciate in value the longer you have it. Better than money in the bank.
yeah im thinkin more the mid 80s types of cars because theyre still realistically priced. im lookin for like an old person with one that runs and theyre just selling it cause they bought a new car kind of things.

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
Keep in mind the Camaro body style changed for the 82 model year. I'm guessing based off what you're looking for that as far as Camaros you're looking at the late 2nd gens. The 74-77 are hard as hell to find but the 78-81 and are still relatively cheap to get your hands on. Good luck getting a late 70s firebird for that price though. The late 2nd gen firebirds are the most valuable IIRC. You can get a first gen firebird for pretty cheap though. I saw a couple for sale and about crapped myself when I saw how cheap they are even compared to Camaros like mine.

If you do go for a 2nd gen Camaro let me know and I'll help in any way I can. My first classic car was a 79 Z28. Sold it to make room for the 73 before I could get it back on the road though.

yessir lookin for a late 2nd gen camaro i see a few around here but they want 5-6 grand. really? first gens are cheap? ill let you know where this goes!

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
I like the firebird or cutlass .....I used to own a firebird with tees loved it. Dad owned a Cutlass was a great car.
yeah im a fan of them too. i want every car lmao.

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
I'd go with a trans am personally, I had a 86 Iroc Z it was nice but I drove a 78 Trans Am and would have traded the guy right then and there had I had the Iroc with me and he wasn't from out of state
i do like the trans am thats for sure! ill have to search around

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
I would like to advise you to shy away from t-tops. I know they sound cool, but back in the years you were talking about, they were notoriously leaky. And if you use them a lot, like it sounds like you will, the more likely to leak they are. They were leaky then, and they are even more likely to be leaky now. I'm not even fond of having a sun roof on the Monte, I bet I coudl count on my hands how many times I've ever opened it in nearly 5 years of ownership.

And for that price, you'll find something running, but it would be a "restore as you go" project. Nothing wrong with them, per se, but you can't expect perfection. I've got $15k in the white car and it's not even perfect.
that is very true. plus its hard to find a 86 Monte SS w/ t-tops so i could live without them.

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Just be careful not to get over your head.

Honestly, I see your budget being a little low to take on a toy like that.
ill be careful. me and my dad are going to work on it ect. and he'll be chippin in cause he came to me with the idea lmao. but im lookin for something that an old person had and is just selling cause they bought like a brand new car and all. but thanks for lookin out for me !

Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i like the idea of a '78-88 el camino, i've been wanting one for a while now '78-'81 malibu is a good option too. 2 door 80's caprice, regal, cutless, all great options. you could even go older if you wanted, like a laguna - style GM ('73-'77 midsize). they are such nice driving cars, just ugly as sin, lol.

another option would be a '73-'86 GM pickup. if you get a half ton, 2wd, shortbed, they are some really cool trucks, and you can do alot to customize them, and they are fairly cheap.

something like this

or this

Old 01-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ever think about 73-77 monte's there still fairly cheap to get

Old 01-29-2012, 11:51 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

It also depends on if you want to take it to cruise nights - one in my area won't allow anything newer than 77 (even though it isn't following the 25 year old rule - in IL 25 years old is considered an antique vehicle).

Old 01-29-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
It also depends on if you want to take it to cruise nights - one in my area won't allow anything newer than 77 (even though it isn't following the 25 year old rule - in IL 25 years old is considered an antique vehicle).
Same here in Iowa, my insurance valued my Camaro as a Classic/Antique

Old 01-29-2012, 01:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Just dont rush into anything. Look it over really good when you find something. Even finding a car that is semi restored might not be a good thing if the work was done poorly. I would think you can find a nice cruiser for that price range.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My father and I are currently saving up to get a classic. We have 9,000 right now and we still can't find what we want yet. lol

Old 01-29-2012, 01:33 PM

First gen firebirds are on par with an excellent condition late 2nd gen Camaro (between 5-10 grand). First gen Camaros on the other hand, are ridiculous as we all know. You can't even get a roller with a solid body for under 8-10 grand around here.

I've seen plenty of solid late 2nd gen Camaros in the 4-8 grand range. I almost got an 80Z for just under 4 grand and it was in a lot better shape than the 79 I ended up getting. I'm still kicking myself for not getting it. The guy even would have knocked some off the price for transport costs to get it from Michigan to Fort Knox (where I was stationed at the time). Ran perfect, solid body and everything. Only thing I would have wanted to do was swap in an OD trans. Although I will say that had I got the 80 I probably wouldn't have jumped on the 73 when I saw it.

Good luck with your search though. Classics can get expensive but the nice thing about the 2nd gen Camaros (other than the 81) is there are no computers to deal with at all.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 PM

Cowboy Duane is correct about the rust issues of the T-top cars. It rusts the A pillars and the cowl as is the case with my 81 Monte. The IROC I was referring to was the third gen Camaro.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:06 AM

If you want TTops get TTops, don't settle for anything else.
But definately check for rot. Its amazing how few good body TTop cars exist anymore.
Definately consider a 85-88 Monte SS.
They came with TTops and parts are easy to find. They all came with the same 305 and auto trans.
The GN's had the turbo, and the Olds 442's have the 307. Both great cars, just trickier to find stuff for.
I had a 79 Trans Am with a 403 in it and engine parts were not too easy to come by.
But the TTops on a nice day are sweet.

Quick Reply: Planning On Buying A Classic!