Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> Negativity + •THE POWER OF A POSITIVE ATTITUDE <

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:24 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question > Negativity + •THE POWER OF A POSITIVE ATTITUDE <

Negative Thinking Never Helps

Jeff Keller

I've never had someone come up to me and say, "I'm always negative and it's working out great for me. I can't wait to get up in the morning!" And yet, positive thinking still has its skeptics.

Some people tell me that positive thinking doesn't work or that it's "unrealistic," especially in today's turbulent world.

"Look around you," they say. "How can you be so positive?" Well, let me ask you this: can the world be lifted out of negativity by adding MORE negativity?

The truth is, there are certain things that negative thinking will do for you. It will make you sick. It will make you very unpleasant to be around. Who really wants to be around negative people ? (Other negative people ? That sounds like a lot of fun doesn't it) And, it will significantly limit what you can achieve. Maybe negative people
don't really want to achieve ?

Let's take a closer look at why negative thinking doesn't serve us. For starters, we all operate under the Law of Dominant Thought. Simply stated, we're always moving in the direction of our dominant thoughts.

Most of us have heard about the "self-fulfilling prophecy"-- that we get what we expect in life. Expect negative results and, sure enough, you'll produce negative results.

As I'm sure you've found, negative thinking also causes you to feel more stress and to have less energy.

Scientific studies have demonstrated that negativity weakens your immune system. How many times have you gotten sick during a stressful period in your life?
If you're still not convinced about the effects of being negative, take out a sheet of paper and write down your list of all the benefits you're getting from negative thinking. I think your list is going to be very short, if you come up with anything at all.

Let me make an important distinction here. It's quite natural for a person to feel sad in response to a tragedy or the death of a loved one. There's a period of loss and grieving that differs for each individual, and we don't expect a grief stricken person to be positive in the short run.

However, even a person in that situation will not be served by holding onto their negative thoughts indefinitely. (By the way, if you've suffered some trauma or have had a difficult time releasing negative thinking, by all means get counseling. That's not a sign of weakness. It's a constructive step to help you move forward in your life.)

Doing What Comes Naturally

From everything I've observed, babies are naturally positive. They're usually smiling and seem to be enjoying life. I haven't met any negative, frowning babies. That's why I don't buy the argument that negative thinking is just natural.

Those who think negatively do so out of habit. They have conditioned themselves to think that way. In Western societies in particular, we've developed the tendency to focus on minor irritations, even though these annoyances are only a tiny part of our overall lives. We tend to focus on the 5% of our lives that are going "wrong"... instead of the 95% going well.

We'll sigh and tell everyone about the traffic jam or flat tire on the way to work. Yet, we'll never comment about the miracle of our existence--the billions of cells in our body that somehow allow our brain to function, our heart to pump blood or our eyes to see.

We don't appreciate that we have enough food to eat or that we have a roof over our heads, while there are millions of people who don't have these gifts. It's no wonder that so many people think negatively.

The newspaper is filled with negative news. Television and radio reports dwell on tragedies and crimes. How often do you read or hear about people helping each other or doing something positive? Hardly ever. If you do nothing to counteract this bombardment of negativity, you're going to think negatively.

At any time, however, you could take control of this situation. You could stop watching and listening to all of the negative news and read something positive instead. You could limit your contact with "toxic" people and make sure your life is filled with positive inputs.

If you did that, your "natural" inclination would switch and you'd begin to think positively.

Quick Mental Exercises

I'll show you that you have much more control over your thinking than you might believe. Try this experiment. Right now, think about your Monte Carlo. You might even get a picture in your mind of your favorite time driving it.

Now, let's think about your favorite meal. What is it? A fresh salad ... a juicy steak ... grilled salmon? Whatever it is, just think about it. Now that your mouth is watering, let's move on. Think about being out in a snowstorm, with two feet of snow on the ground. Can you see the snow and feel the cold on your toes?

In each case, you were able to control what you thought about. You could shift your thinking in an instant. It has been said that positive thinking is harmful because optimistic people ignore things that can go wrong or are easily duped and taken advantage of.

In other words, if you expect the sun to be shining all the time, you're just naive and are sure to be disappointed. But positive thinking doesn't mean that you ignore reality or refuse to consider the obstacles that might arise. On the contrary, the positive person expects a positive outcome but prepares for overcoming obstacles.

For example, if a positive person is planning an outdoor wedding, he or she won't use the power of positive thinking to make sure it doesn't rain on the big day. Rather, a positive person is prepared with contingency plans, focusing on things that /he/she can directly control, such as having a tent available in case it does rain. Plus some extra booze. LOL

By this point, I hope that you're receptive to the idea that negative thinking won't help us. So, the question is: how can we change our thinking to become more positive? The answer, simply stated, is that you must change what goes into your mind every day.

Start by eliminating as many of the negative inputs as possible. While you can listen to the news for a few minutes to catch the important headlines, there is no need to hear reports of the same murders and bombings over and over each day. At the same time, replace the negative inputs with positive stimuli.

Read positive materials on a daily basis. Listen to positive audio tapes or CDs, or to music that inspires or relaxes you.

Here's another technique: monitor your everyday language. When you find yourself beginning to complain or talk negatively, switch immediately to something positive. Say something like, "I really have so much to be grateful for" and start listing some of those things.

Condition yourself to focus on constructive solutions to challenges, rather than harping on problems or fretting about things outside of your control. Make a commitment for the next 30 days. Think about what you want instead of what you don't want.

Think about what you're grateful for rather than what you believe is missing in your life. Saturate your mind with the positive. After 30 days, you can then decide whether to keep focusing on the positive or to revert to your negative thinking pattern. I think I know which one you'll choose!

Jeff Keller is the President of Attitude is Everything, Inc. For more than 15 years, Jeff has delivered presentations on attitude and motivation to businesses, groups and trade associations throughout the United States and abroad. Jeff is also the author of the highly acclaimed book, Attitude is Everything. For more information, go to attitudeiseverything.com

Last edited by Space; 11-26-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Lightbulb ~ Art of Being Positive in Life

The Art of Being Positive in your `Life

Once upon a time there was kid named `Space . He was always positive. Whenever anything bad happened, his response would be, "It might have been worse." So much so that it started annoying his friends. (When one is always positive, it can get on the nerves of the average negative thinkers. Some just can't seem to enjoy a positive happy life & prefer
to be negative and stay in their pity `pot(s) of life...To me that's `sad, but everyone is the driver of their life!)

One day, a friend of `Space came up to him and said, "Last night I dreamed I was driving and that I had a terrible accident. And that every bone in my body was broken. They tried hard to revive me, the paramedics, but they failed. They gave me electric shocks but nothing worked. Ultimately, they pronounced me dead. The messengers of Death came and dragged me all the way to hell. There I was beaten badly and skinned while I felt excruciating pain. Then they took me and put me in oil heated to top degree. My body burned and I cried and cried but no one helped me. The pain was like never before. I was scared when I got up. And I am still scared now. This is a bad sign."
"Oh, well. Don't be scared," the kid said. "It might have been worse."

"What do you mean, it might have been worse! How could it have been any worse?" the friend exclaimed.
"It might have been true!" he said calmly.

It might have been true — a statement worth reflecting on. Fear is innate in all living beings, such fear may be instinctive or conditioned. Fears stops one from being positive. They make you weak. If you take a look at your past, you will realize that less than one percent of your fears actually ever came true, and that too, not even fully. This is the key to remember. When you no longer feel positive about your actions or goals because you are afraid that life may just go jelly on you, remind yourself of all the times in the past when you felt the same but each time your fears proved wrong.While in high school, you probably looked upon your maths or science teacher as the supreme being, the one who controlled your destiny, but he did not and you still passed. Each semester or each year you were probably afraid of the exams, but you mostly passed, if not always.
===============================

Being positive is a matter of mental preparedness. It is knowing that the world cannot end for you. It is remembering that every day gives you the opportunity to do something new. Everything is interdependent and relative. Positivity is about living in the moment.

And above all, being positive is a matter of choice, a conscious choice in fact. You can be positive or you can be negative; in essence, both emotions have no firm basis; they are based on hope, often biased and misplaced. Whether or not you count the chickens before they are hatched is not as important as caring for the ones that do hatch. Because ultimately, your satisfaction, peace, joy is going to come from living in the moment. Past is dead, and, future, unknown. Gratitude, being grateful for what you have, hope, being optimistic about what you may have, and, discipline, working in the present to get what you would like to have, are the ingredients for a positive life. If you are grateful, hopeful and disciplined, you will feel positive naturally.

If all your fears, or even majority, came to life in the past, you have reasons to be skeptical and negative about your future, about your goals, about yourself. However, if that is not the case, remember that it is your mind playing tricks. Being positive does not mean that you hide in a cocoon and hope that all good things will happen automatically, it is about working towards your goals regardless of what comes your way. You will emerge triumphant, stronger and a winner.

Go on! Learn to play and play to win but win to enjoy. Do all that positively. Chase your dreams. Today, you have the chance.

Wish you reading this a Positive/`Happy > `Life

Because ultimately, your
satisfaction, peace, joy is going to come from living in the moment. Past is dead, and, future, unknown.
Gratitude, being grateful for what you have, hope, being optimistic about
what you may have, and, discipline, working in the present
to get what you would like to have, are
the ingredients for a positive life. If you are grateful, hopeful and
disciplined, you will feel positive naturally.

Last edited by Space; 09-15-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Smile > Party Time < > NOW < > WOW <

WoW, the above posts contains some heavy Stuff for the `Mind to absorb 4-Sure.
Time to take a `Mind-Break
It's Party `Time

Last edited by Space; 10-24-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 PM

Space, you always seem to make an appropriate topic for the issue I'm struggling with each day. Thank you for that.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:51 AM
Cool Thank You!

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
Space, you always seem to make an appropriate topic for the issue I'm struggling with each day. Thank you for that.

Hi `Tyler,

Thanks for your post & words.
It's great to read that my plagiarized, altered topic might
be helpful to you & member's.
I know they are always helpful to me.
Name:  set12.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  185.4 KB
Life is a challenge & it takes effort to keep a positive attitude
in todays world. I've learned that nothing good in this human
life seems to be easy.
I've fell into the pity `pot many times & did not like it there
I've learned to never give `up on getting to where I
want to `be in life.
Hopefully my posts, words helps others.
I would love to see `all have a positive & happy `life.
I think our World would `be so much better
and happier
"Take control & `be the Driver of your `Life
&
Keep Driving until you get to where you want to `be"

Many have proven that the journey can be so much better in a
Chevrolet Monte Carlo...

or a 2014 StingRay
Name:  2014-Corvette-Stingray-14_zps9dbc6c1e.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  19.5 KB
4-Sure

Last edited by Space; 10-26-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:29 AM
Question "To click or not to click, that is the question ?" Your Choice ?

Below is from far out `Space & it will Blow your Mind ?
~ Pure Education ~
'bout 4:20 seconds > Mind `Trip 4 your `Mind
Space, is it never ending ? When you look up in2 the skies do you know where or when it `ends ?
It's all just amazing to `me > "Be Happy to `be 4-Sure"

Click below vid to EnJoy

Last edited by Space; 10-30-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Lightbulb PMS; Poor `Me syndrome

Self-Pity

Self-pity is the state of feeling sorry for yourself. When you have this PMS >“poor me syndrome" or victim mentality, your focus is on your pain, sorrow and suffering; almost always exaggerating them. You feel like a victim and the unfortunate one; the one and only person who have to undergo great misfortunes, the helpless soul.
Two favorite statements are “Why Me?” and “You don’t understand.” You are so engrossed in your private world, seeing only your struggles and agonizing over them. You compare yourself to other people. Very often you wonder why good things only happen to others while you seem to put up with one calamity after another.

This state of mind makes you feel angry and jealous toward others, sometimes assuming that people look down upon your lack and inadequacy.
1. Take a Different Outlook.

It’s not because of luck, fate or favoritism. Everyone goes through bad experiences, many as far as their childhood years. In this case, you are not special or the chosen one. It’s more due to the way you perceive events, people and yourself and how you handle your life’s situation. It’s because you have the wrong attitude of mind. You attracted misery into your life by your wrong focus of attention.
One of the ways to overcome self-pity is to change your attitude or the way you think and see things. Take some time to contemplate. Listen to your self talk. Notice your mental . You are probably talking about and seeing your problems, failures and lack. You must change these silent chatters and negative mental images with positive and affirmative statements and images.

2. Stop Expecting Sympathy.

Do you go around telling other people how unfortunate you are? If your friends or family members avoid you, it’s because they don’t want to have to go through your pity party each time they are around you. People are generally sympathetic. But too much emphasis on self-pity makes people sick of hearing your tales of anguish, whines and neediness. People who understand and appreciate life and living don’t want to hang around those who have negative vibes because these vibrations can sap their positive energy and affect their states of mind 4-Sure.!

3. Don’t Compare.

Comparing yourself to others is one of the reasons that you feel inadequate. Look at your strengths and see how you can improve or make use of them. Start where you are, take one step at a time and build yourself gradually.

When you look at other people’s achievements, observe how and what they do to reach the level that they have reached instead of feeling envious. Study their strategies, beliefs and actions. These people have done some things that allow them to have more joy. Emulate the good.

4. Help Others.

The trouble with people who feel sorry for themselves is that they don’t notice that there are other people who are going through real sufferings. There are people who are grieving over the loss of loved ones and those who have been struck by a tragedy or disaster. One of the ways to get out of this self centeredness and the “look at pitiful me” is to go out there and help people who are less fortunate and in need of support, guidance and assistance.

5. Forgive and Forget the Painful Past. It’s Behind.

Stop the blame game. It doesn’t matter what has happened in the past. Let go and start anew. When you playback your painful past, you will feel melancholic. If you continue to focus on it, you will give in to your emotions and feel more disheartened. Forgive those who have hurt you and forgive yourself for the things that you should not have said or done.

6. Develop the Attitude of Gratitude.

By developing the attitude of gratitude, you will be able to gradually change your focus of attention and stop self-pity. Make it a habit to look for something good that is happening or existing in your life right now and write them down. If at first you think that there is nothing to be grateful for, try harder.

Additional Resources.

Last edited by Space; 10-27-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:42 PM

Tired of Reading,
Click below & just sit back & `be POSITIVE

Last edited by Space; 11-07-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ha Space funny thread here. I'm like the perpetual negative guy. I live by the "If something can go wrong it will philosophy". My standard motto is "Don't worry, nothing will be okay". I'm the eternal Murphy's law cadet, I beleive there are benefits to being a gloom and doom person, as one can prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Let Negativity LIVE!! LOL

This one article by Eric Haseltine, Ph.D. in Pscyhology Today kind of insinuates the same line of thinking.

According to Greek mythology, Cassandra, a princess of Troy, had mislead Apollo into thinking that she'd give more than worship at his temple. So Apollo punished her by simultaneously granting her the gift of prophesy and the curse of never being believed.

Anyone who‘s tried to tell a coworker that their drinking would get them fired, to caution a friend that that their girlfriend would dump them, or to warn a teenager about, well, anything, knows how Cassandra must have felt. People just don't want to hear gloomy forecasts.

Psychologists have different theories about why we ignore bad news. Freud believed that we unconsciously tune out information (such as we're drug addicts or poor judges of character) that threaten our egos. Another idea is that we'd rather feel good than bad, and that disbelieving bad news simply makes us happier. My own belief is that we have to work hard work to prevent looming disasters, so our instinct to conserve energy (so we won't starve to death) leads us down the path of least resistance (or into that river psychotherapists call "de-nial").

But it doesn't matter why we ignore bad news, the fact is that most of us do, and this creates big opportunities for the rare people who don't.

The most salient example of someone who prospered by accepting the possibility of disaster was a pig. We don't know his name, only that he was a diminutive pig living near two other small porcines who built their houses from sticks and straws respectively. When the neighborhood wolf came calling, the predator was able to blow down the flimsy straw and stick houses and eat their short-sighted occupants. But our nameless pig, who'd built his house of brick because he believed that bad things could happen, survived the encounter with the wolf to go on, so we are lead to believe, to live a long and happy piggy life.

Prior to the same economic meltdown that Ford survived, hedge fund manager John Paulson thought it was likely that the housing bubble (artificially high housing prices) would collapse, so he directed his company to "short" mortgage-backed securities ( Paulson and Company contracted to sell securities at a future date at current market prices while buying those same securities in the future at much lower prices). Paulson's vision was accurate and his company reaped huge profits when the mortgage market collapsed.

The Paulson case illustrates two important points about what it takes to be a visionary: First, if you allow yourself to think the unthinkable, you'll probably find big opportunities that others miss, precisely because others don't want to think the thoughts you're thinking.

The second attribute you must have as a visionary is thick skin. Before the fact, your prognostications of doom will elicit skepticism and scorn; after the fact they'll probably bring out jealousy ,even rage that you profited from others' misfortune (Paulson is not a popular guy right now).

Old 10-29-2013, 05:15 AM
Smile "2 `be U ?"

Thanks `Greg for your thoughts, words & looking at the other side of the coin. I do think John Paulson's negative message/view was popular to those that have opened their minds & followed his direction + profited from his view/knowledge with positive results.

"What we focus on, we empower and enlarge. Good multiplies when focused upon. Negativity multiplies when focused upon. The choice is ours: Which do we want more of ?"

Negativity determines Being insofar as it situates it in the transcendental space which it has unfolded in order to permit Being to manifest itself there.

The entity which appears in this primitive ontological field can never be equivalent to it. Such a field rather surpasses the entity on all sides. This surpassing is so radical that it is nothing more than the dialectical suppression of the entity.

I'm just thankful that we have choices > To `be negative or positive...I believe we each must `do what works or is best.
I am just amazed that this topic has had many views & few comments ? It's an interesting topic, or it's not ? I don't care, yes I `do
+ Positive
- Negative
The batteries of `life needs both connections to `start > work > function ? (lol)
(Putting life in neutral & just coasting through `life: ) It's all GOOD !, or is `it ?
"Contradictions, challenges the `Mind"

Peace/Out

Last edited by Space; 10-29-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Quick Reply: > Negativity + •THE POWER OF A POSITIVE ATTITUDE <