Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   My crazy 2013 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/my-crazy-2013-a-46274/)

Blazed SS 12-20-2013 11:09 AM

My crazy 2013

Having willpower is a choice. It is not something that one is given, nor is it something that is validated by the external. If you examine yourself you will find it. When you find it, you will realize it. And when you realize it, you will be unstoppable. It is the strength of not only discipline, but perseverance and the absolute refusal to give up; a hero’s strength. Embracing the willpower that resides within becomes strength to shape one’s destiny. Here is my personal story of willpower this year, 2013: Earning my second chance to LIVE - my destiny.
So who is Keith Christensen?
At 6’5” I have been either “Big Keith” or “BK” and many other nick names my whole life. Of those who know me as “BK,” few know the catalysts to my life choices, the results of which were once my physical stature and, consequently, my nickname. Few knew what created “Big Keith.” I was prisoner to my cyclical feelings of inadequacy and failure from childhood through adulthood; pains that had shaped my choices and, consequently, my life. Very early, in fact, much too early, I learned everything NOT to do as a friend,husband and a man raising children. As unfortunate and painful the circumstances of my learning those lessons may have been, I am truly thankful for them. Through that learning process, however, one lesson unlearned was the process of working though the pain resulting from the secrets I had kept. I, like most children do, learned to suppress and move forward, aware of, yet determined to avoid the pain of my memories.

Just like any problem, no matter how deep you think you bury it, it will eventually surface. For me, it surfaced on the scales, which I topped at 434lbs January, 2013. I was slowly poisoning myself with the one thing I found comfort in, FOOD. I had tried before and, like most, I set a weight-loss goal but never really committed. When I failed to accomplish the goal, I ate to feel better.
One day I looked at my wife and said I was sick and ashamed of what I had become. After 16 years of smoking I finally quit on Valentine’s Day, 2012 after my wife and daughter implored it of me. They loved me even though I did not love myself, they said. I had used smoking as a crutch to deal with stress but what I realized then was that I had all the tools I needed to deal with stress without smoking a cigarette. It was possible. What I took from that experience was that if my “WHY” was strong enough then I could find the willpower. I refused to be a victim of the circumstances of my life for one second longer, and for something I DID NOT DO. I set out and made a board of short- and long-term goals.
In the past I had always imposed a weight-loss goal instead of a just-getting-healthy-and-fit goal. I have to say that setting those general, overall fitness goals was the best thing I could have done. I started to hike. I have since hiked all over Oregon, Alaska and California in just this year. Then I started to run. I am now running five days a week while still hiking on the weekends and doing CrossFit three days a week. The scale has moved just fine for me without obsessing over the number reflected on it. I have lost 61 fricken inches overall and 134lbs so far. That’s a 5’1" 134 lb. monkey off my back. I now realize that while the scale measures weight, it cannot measure not drive, heart or dedication to your goals, nor does it represent YOU as a person!!!

I still have a goal number for my weight that I want to hit, but I don't care if it takes a month, a year or years to hit. It is one of many goals that I know it will come when it is ready because I am dedicated to overall health and fitness. And unlike all those times before, I am addressing the mental roots of the problem.
So here I am, December 2013 with a 5k,10k,15k, and 1/2 marathon done this year, now getting ready to celebrate my 1000th mile ran in 2013. I realize the boy who became the man who had always quit, never felt worthy and lost his smile, has become the man who can't quit. Who refuses to quit with every fiber of his being. Thanks to eating healthy & running, he got his smile back.
I am still “Big Keith,” but no longer for the size of my body, but rather the enormity of my willpower. I realize that not only do I possess it within me, I AM WILLPOWER.
Be Unstoppable.
Keith

Here is My first weight loss related video please when you have time check it out . Crazy 2013 for me Ran over 1000 miles in the last 9 months . I only drove the Monte 300 more than that this year !!! LOL :thumbsup:
Thanks again for just being so awesome !!
please feel free to share
Merry christmas and here is 2 a Awesome 2014

BeachBumMike 12-20-2013 11:32 AM

Congrat's `Keith

:rolleyes:
Hello 'Keith,
Very inspirational & professional encouraging 'video :thumbsup:
Congrat's on your Success :congrats:
Enjoyed reading your words & watching your 'vid.
Thank You for sharing your journey :thumbsup:
I hope that you inspired others,
you have inspired `me.

Wish you & Family & Happy/Healthy Holidays

Jomao_o 12-20-2013 11:33 AM

How fricken awesome!!! Congrats man!! We share the same battle. Over the years I've tried and failed miserably. But good for you!

turbo monte 12-20-2013 11:49 AM

wow man thats awesome!! very happy for you, great job!!!

Blazed SS 12-20-2013 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceRider (Post 586513)
:rolleyes:
Hello 'Keith,
Very inspirational & professional encouraging 'video :thumbsup:
Congrat's on your Success :congrats:
Enjoyed reading your words & watching your 'vid.
Thank You for sharing your journey :thumbsup:
I hope that you inspired others,
you have inspired `me.

Wish you & Family & Happy/Healthy Holidays

Thank you man !!! :thumbsup:

Blazed SS 12-20-2013 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by turbo monte (Post 586517)
wow man thats awesome!! very happy for you, great job!!!

Thanks man !! :thumbsup:

Blazed SS 12-20-2013 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jomao_o (Post 586514)
How fricken awesome!!! Congrats man!! We share the same battle. Over the years I've tried and failed miserably. But good for you!

Thank you man !! Something changed in me this time .I have to say the walking Quit smoking , running,weight loss, and eating right are easy relative compared to the mental side of it all .Once I made piece with my past (hardest ting I have ever done ) and decided to just let it go and only work on the Future was my Ah HA moment . It was about 7 months in before it went from a diet to just me& my heart felt lighter and that was all I needed !! :congrats:
If there is any thing I can ever do for you let men know man even if its just someone to listen .:cool:
and you can always find me on Facebook :thumbsup:
http://www.facebook.com/Blazedss

dbaldwin 12-20-2013 01:38 PM

Way to go man! I have watched many people struggle with this, much of my family has struggled with these problems for years. Hearing stories like yours and many others has shown me what people can do if they out their mind to it and it amazes me!

Blazed SS 12-20-2013 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by dbaldwin (Post 586529)
Way to go man! I have watched many people struggle with this, much of my famuly has struggled with these problems for years. Hesring stories like yours and many others has shown me what people cab do if they out their kind to it and it amazes me!

I am Honored and I thank you for the kind words man !!! :thumbsup:

dbaldwin 12-20-2013 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Blazed SS (Post 586543)
I am Honored and I thank you for the kind words man !!! :thumbsup:

I think we are all honored you chose to share this story with us. Its not always easy to share your struggles and the leaps and bounds you have had to overcome. Be proud of yourself for taking the challenge and making it this far. What an amazing acomplishment! I wish you luck and perseverance on the rest of your journey.