Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

My Challenger SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:35 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your Challenger is so freaking cool. I so want an RT with the classic package in Plum Crazy Purple. And it has to have a sunroof!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mine is not highly optioned. All I wanted was a sunroof, 20" wheels and R/T stripes, oh and it had to be Brilliant black. FOr those of you that dont know what that is, it is metallic black. Here's a closeup. Its the top of my back bumper, the flakes you see are different colors.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

That is a beautiful car you have there. Dodge is right on the money bring back there classics. Maybe next they'll a super bee or Daytona kit for the charger. I forgot about GTS headlight covers, I had a set on my S10 in the 90s. I just blacked out the letters with a sharpie. The blended right in.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:41 AM

Hi Member's,
The below is on MotorWeek today
2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Program #3024

Never has a car been more appropriately named than the Dodge Challenger. Although the Chrysler Group has seen recent troubles, and the Challenger has been taking it on the chin from Mustang and Camaro for years, this pony car is never one to give up. Now this tenacious two-door is back with a new level of HEMI power. So let's hit the track and see what differences more Mopar Muscle makes.
In Mopar Nation, having a HEMI is everything. But the 392 HEMI, or 92 as fans know it, has special significance. It was the first engine to officially break the 200 mph barrier on a drag strip in Don Garlits' Swamp Rat in 1964.
But enough history; we've come to Savannah Georgia's 2-mile Roebling Road Raceway to put the new Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 to the test. And while we probably won't be breaking the 200 mph barrier, hopefully we will find out what makes the new 392 so special.
Well, it all starts under the hood, of course. The new 392, a 6.4-liter HEMI, cranks out 470 horsepower and 470 lb-ft. of torque. That's 90 lb-ft. more than the 6.1-liter HEMI. The silver-ribbed plastic panels over the rocker covers may look old school, but between them sits an active intake manifold and variable intake valve timing tuned for maximum torque.
A 5-speed automatic transmission is standard. But those not afraid of a little work can opt for the same six-speed Tremec manual found in the Dodge Viper.
Thankfully, our car sported the latter, so off we went in search of a 12-second quarter mile. Unfortunately, a cold track and 30 mph headwinds kept our times a little on the high side, but we did manage a corrected quarter of 12.9 seconds at 113 mph. 0 to 60 scores 4.5 seconds.
There's big torque off the line as you would expect, and getting the 20-inch rears to hook up was a real challenge. Typical American muscle car fun!
The Tremec six-speed is beefy, and it works well, both in acceleration tests and on the road course, provided you don't rush it. The clutch was plenty stiff enough to provide good feedback.
But nowadays it's not enough to have just straight line performance; handling and braking are just as important in modern muscle cars. To that end, the Challenger's suspension has been recalibrated and new shocks added.
Revised gearing and a heavier duty pump have been added to the hydraulic power steering. No electric assist here. On-center feel has been improved, and we found the steering to be quite precise.
While no ballerina on the track, it proved plenty capable through Roebling Road's nine mostly high speed turns. There's still a lot of roll to this big beast, but there's also plenty of rockin' off the corners. Remember, this is still a 4,100-pound car.
Braking duties are handled by four piston Brembos front and rear. They worked great lap after lap, with only minimal fade creeping in after a few hours of abuse.
Our SRT8 392 is one of 1,492 inaugural edition models, which come in either white with blue stripes or our car's blue with white stripes. No chrome up front; the body-colored grill surround is all business.
Spoilers front and rear, as well as a slew of 392 logos and big exhaust tips, convey its muscular intent and set this Challenger apart.
Inside inaugural models there's classic white leather seats...so white they made us cringe...with embroidered 392 logos. The whitewash finds its way on to the door panels as well.
Brushed metal and chrome trim highlight both the dash and instrument panel, where you'll find SRT-exclusive gauges along with an info center that not only includes the usual trip info, but a performance computer for 0-60 and quarter mile times, as well as braking distance and G-force. There's also a new three-spoke steering wheel with carbon fiber accents.
There's standard voice-prompt Uconnect, and optional touch screen navigation that makes finding the nearest track a snap.
As to practicality, the rear seat is tight for adults, but the seat backs do fold to expand an already spacious 16.2 cubic-foot trunk.
But no matter how exclusive this Challenger might be, it does still run on unleaded gas...premium for sure...with government fuel economy ratings of 14 city, 23 highway for our manual. The automatic, even with cylinder cutoff, manages a little less.
To catch one of these inaugural edition Challenger SRT8 392's, it will cost you $43,380. Our car's sunroof and upgraded media tacked on another four grand. While Camaro and Mustang may still not have much to worry about, the Dodge Challenger has certainly become a more serious challenger. Its styling is definitely a winner in our book, and improved performance is always a plus. We know these inaugural SRT8 392's will sell out quickly. And, if history continues to repeat, this Mopar Missile will muscle up sales for the entire Dodge brand.

2 Expensive 4 Me, but I like it 4-Sure
http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/
click above source

Old 02-21-2011, 02:31 PM

Sweeet !! Nice ride!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 PM

Love those Challengers, I'm a MOPAR and GM man. One of these days I'm going to get a B5 Blue Challenger R/T.

BTW I like your black R/T.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:12 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Beautiful. )

I told my dad once I get the Monte paid for, I plan on buying a Challenger. I know I'll only be able to afford a used one, but I want one.

We saw a beautiful black with blue stripe Challenger on saturday. I think he was staring at the Pace car as much as we were staring at his Challenger?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Jon

Setting the PACE of the new generation.

Originally Posted by 77gp
Mine is not highly optioned. All I wanted was a sunroof, 20" wheels and R/T stripes, oh and it had to be Brilliant black. FOr those of you that dont know what that is, it is metallic black. Here's a closeup. Its the top of my back bumper, the flakes you see are different colors.
Mr.Picky
Haha no that was an awesome call and im glad you got it just the way you wanted

Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

B5 Blue would be my 2nd choice. For 2011 they brought back the lime color - not sure if it's called sublime lime or not. It's got one heck of a metal flake in it.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
B5 Blue would be my 2nd choice. For 2011 they brought back the lime color - not sure if it's called sublime lime or not. It's got one heck of a metal flake in it.
Green with Envy is the official name.