Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

- Muscle Cars Reborn -

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default - Muscle Cars Reborn -

Muscle Cars Reborn
Expert car designers revive the classic Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro and others
[align=center][/align]
By JIM, MCCRAW, AOL AUTOS
[align=center][/align]
The first American muscle car appeared in 1955 in the form of the Chrysler 300. It was clearly identifiable with its much bigger grille than the other Chryslers, and it was powered by a 354 cubic-inch Hemi engine with two four-barrel carburetors on top, producing 300 horsepower. This was far and away the highest horsepower number advertised that year.

That was the beginning of a 15-year escalation of horsepower, torque and performance and the official backing of racing that eventually involved every manufacturer in Detroit. Multiple carburetion, lightweight bodies, and bigger and bigger engines, up to 460 cubic inches and 500 horsepower, were the order of the day.
[:-]Click below for awesome Pic's [:-]
[:-]
In Pictures: Muscle Cars Reborn

By 1971, the combined forces of the National Highway Safety Act of 1966 and the Clean Air Act or 1970 had forced the Detroit manufacturers away from the muscle car business that had spawned such icons as the Shelby Mustang, the Chevy Camaro 427 and the Dodge and Plymouth Hemi-powered muscle cars. Those muscle cars, and the rest, quickly became collectors' items.

Now original versions of those 400-plus horsepower muscle cars bring hundreds of thousands of dollars at auction, putting them out of reach of the guy or gal who wants something cool and retro to drive. But, as viewers of cable shows like Overhaulin, Chop Cut Rebuild, American Muscle Car know, you can make old muscle cars from the 1960's perform better than new with some expert help.

See Shelby GT500E Photos Here
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
Take, for instance, Unique Performance of Farmers Branch, Texas. This company has built all kinds of cars over the years and now specializes in recreating the Shelby Mustangs that were so popular in the late 1960's. They're doing it with the blessing and cooperation of Carroll Shelby, the man who created them in the first place.

The Unique Performance Ford Mustang Shelby GT500E is a modernized, high-performance version of the 1967-68 Ford Mustang. Unique Performance buys used Mustangs and installs a modern version of the Shelby engine, a 325-horsepower, 302 cubic-inch V-8 with a new Tremec 5-speed manual instead of the old 4-speed.

That's just the beginning. Everything else in the car is changed over to modern equipment, including the brakes, suspension, steering, rear axle assembly, interior, seats, gauges and the entertainment system. Because these muscle cars are "continuations" of a Shelby Mustang first built 40 years ago and because Carroll Shelby is a partner in the enterprise, these cars all carry Shelby serial numbers and are considered "real" Shelby's by the Shelby American Automobile Club. Prices start at $119,000, with a Performance version starting at $139,000.

See Shelby GT350SR Photos Here
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][center][b]If you want one of the earlier Shelby Mustangs, Unique Performance will be happy to build you a Ford Mustang Shelby GT350SR, a continuation coupe based on the first Shelby Mustangs ever built for the same starting price of $119,000.

Unique Performance also has a creative alliance with Southern California car designer and customizer Chip Foose, and they have already built some "brand new" 1969 Ford Mustangs, as well as a batch of current Ford Mustangs called the Foose Stallion.

Another company with one foot planted in the 1960's and another in the 21st Century is Baldwin-Motion. Starting in 1967, drag racer and car build

Old 10-03-2007, 11:43 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: - Muscle Cars Reborn -

Maybe the Muscle cars are reborn, but I still can't afford one.

Not at $149k for a 427 Camaro.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:40 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i think they've lost touch with what a muscle car really is... they were cheap, fast rides that almost ANYBODY could afford......

Old 10-03-2007, 04:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

i think they've lost touch with what a muscle car really is... they were cheap, fast rides that almost ANYBODY could afford......
Good point. The Feds will make sure that these never make it to market other than to the Jay Lenos of the world.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:59 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Good point. Even a guy still in high school could afford a decent muscle car working at the corner gas station. Not now.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:46 AM

Aint that the truth Rj.. Oh for the good ol days.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:32 PM

But back then they were under-designed overweight hunks of steel that focused on brute strength and a lap band to catapult your skull into the dash in a impact.

Now there's crush zones, pre-tensioning shoulder belts and dual stage airbags that keep you walking and talking today, in a wreck that would kill... or seriously injure you back in the day.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:44 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i credit that to just modern safety enhancements... i personally love the looks, the style, and the power of 60's muscle cars. they were no-nonsense cars. you can't get a good no-nonsense car today. dodge credits their viper to being a "no nonsense" car, but i don't bite. no, it doesn't have many goodies on it ( they were reluctant to add ABS), then it shouldn't cost as much as it does. you're better off getting a vette, tehre just as fast, if not faster, and have more goodies. i think i would have liked to live in the '60's, at about the age i am now...... wat fun i'm sorry i couldn't have been there with you guys when you had your fun... but i guess 30-40 years from now i'll be talking about the good 'ol days with my children and others... about hwo all you needed to get performance was a few hundred dollar program on a laptop.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:48 AM
rj
15 Year Member

True, Today's autos do have a lot more safety features to them versus autos of 30 - 40 years ago.

But 30 - 40 years ago cars weren't 90% rubber and aluminum foil like now days. Sure the old cars could have benefitted from crumple zones designed in to them like today's autos have. Or pretensioned seat (nothing safety about them) belts.

Also remember 30 years ago there weren't 90 million cars on the roads on any given day, like today. Less chance of hitting someone.

And the cars of the '50s,60, or 70s weren't designed to corner like today's cars are. If they were maybe they'd still be building them?

A local guy has thiscool '48 Desoto. Under the hood is a Viper V10 engine. The car's tubbed, super nice interior and Ibelieve Goodguys named the car Hot Rod of the year a couple years ago?