Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: Month of February 2019

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

Well looks like we got about 1.5 inches of snow from yesterday to this morning, but it is 3 degrees out and the wind is supposed to blow today so that is going to be nasty.
About to head out and do a little scooping on the driveway.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good morning guys. Got my photo contest entry in.

Another spring-like day today, going up to 50 but back down to 10 tomorrow night. Rain and possible thunderstorms here today and ice and snow further North (Upper Peninsula could see up to 8"). We had another icy morning yesterday but ended up with more sleet this time - not as bad as the icy morning we had a week or two ago.

Michigan snow reports from yesterday:
9.0" - Escanaba
8.2" - Spalding
7.0" - Quinnesec
7.0" - St. Ignace
4.0" - Charlevoix
3.0" - Engadine

Countdowns 10 days til Daytona 500 - 41 days til spring - 93 days til Michigan Monte Carlo Club's Spring Meet - 109 days til Memorial Day - 134 days til Chevrolet Nationals - 141 days til Monte Nationals

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 02-08-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member

Good morning guys.

16 degrees, feels like -1 with lake effect snow showers this morning. Cold front moved through late last night and brought strong winds (gusting up to 55 mph) pushing lake effect snow all the way across Lower MI and a 40 degree drop in temp (we were at 56 last night - a record high for Jan 7).

Upper Michigan snow reports from yesterday:
10.0" - Bergland
9.0" - Baraga
8.4" - Marquette
7.5" - Copper Harbor
6.0" - Ironwood
4.6" - Negaunee

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
it is 3 degrees out and the wind is supposed to blow today so that is going to be nasty.
Stay warm, Dean. Temps can't figure out what they want to do.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 02-08-2019 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
Cool

Okay the thermostat was reading a -0 degrees now I was just wondering whats the difference between -0 degrees and 0 degrees?
So my Granddaughter tells her Mom and Dad she found grandpas secret room. LOL I call it the Earnhardt Room and it was always my office for years.
I don't even let Mrs. Bickerson in there.
So my son says ask him to show you around next time! Like the time I showed my Grandson the room and I gave him one of the diecast cars in there, which he trashed in no time. I got a few of those Cardboard standups in there and my Daughter asked him who that was. He said Grandpa!! you can't make that stuff up!

Just a Glimpse ha,ha

Old 02-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Okay the thermostat was reading a -0 degrees now I was just wondering whats the difference between -0 degrees and 0 degrees?
So my Granddaughter tells her Mom and Dad she found grandpas secret room. LOL I call it the Earnhardt Room and it was always my office for years.
I don't even let Mrs. Bickerson in there.
So my son says ask him to show you around next time! Like the time I showed my Grandson the room and I gave him one of the diecast cars in there, which he trashed in no time. I got a few of those Cardboard standups in there and my Daughter asked him who that was. He said Grandpa!! you can't make that stuff up!

Just a Glimpse ha,ha
Cool Stuff! Cool Story!

You seem to have colorful stories, ever considered writing as a career?

I went back to college for my EET a few years ago in my early 40's. I used my younger days off wild Army times, hunting, fishing, and general hell raising as the basis for all my literary work to pass English 112. The professor loved my creativity but said my fictional my mind was a little outlandish! Nobody believed I lived these adventures. Heck I had to tame some of them down!

Old 02-08-2019, 11:43 AM
10 Year Member

@ Dean - That's a pretty cool story... and I like your collection, especially the 1:24 models (I see a few I have). My 1:24 collection is still growing (mostly Harvick now), I usually get a couple new ones each year. I also had a life size Harvick standup for a while but got rid of it when I moved because it was taking up too much space. My 'office' in the new house (aka bedroom #3) is still a catch all and needs to be totally repainted like I've already done with our other bedrooms.

@ Tommy - Any word on the latest with your Monte?

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 02-08-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Talking

Originally Posted by GTHSS
Cool Stuff! Cool Story!

You seem to have colorful stories, ever considered writing as a career?

I went back to college for my EET a few years ago in my early 40's. I used my younger days off wild Army times, hunting, fishing, and general hell raising as the basis for all my literary work to pass English 112. The professor loved my creativity but said my fictional my mind was a little outlandish! Nobody believed I lived these adventures. Heck I had to tame some of them down!
I get the evil eye sometimes when I tell a story. Mostly from Mrs. Bickerson
I don't tell it if it isn't true and I can't prove it with a photo or a video. A few years back I met a fellow worker that was deployed to the same location I was.
He could tell them stories non stop, one after another and never do the same one twice.
It got to be so often that it was kinda annoying. Some of the ladies that were there enjoyed mine sometimes better because they were a little bit laid back and believable.
The job I retired from did alot of writing for Grants and you had to tell the story. What happened and I often got alot of input from my peers and some were nice and some were not. At the last few jobs I was the boss and had a team that I worked with! Key words Worked With some were slow learners for sure and I suppose I was too.
I remember this one lady that was a team mate she said one day you may not like this job.
But if you stay remember to treat everyone like you want to be treated and help them out just like I have too. So I did! When I retired they wanted me to stay, but they didn't want to make concessions for my health issues, with my back. so I left.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member

A few shots on my drive home today of textbook lake effect snow. I'm heading westbound in the first two pics and you can see the cloud banding. It can be totally sunny one minute and then blizzarding the next.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
@ Dean - That's a pretty cool story... and I like your collection, especially the 1:24 models (I see a few I have). My 1:24 collection is still growing (mostly Harvick now), I usually get a couple new ones each year. I also had a life size Harvick standup for a while but got rid of it when I moved because it was taking up too much space. My 'office' in the new house (aka bedroom #3) is still a catch all and needs to be totally repainted like I've already done with our other bedrooms.

@ Tommy - Any word on the latest with your Monte?
Yes. Thanks for asking. The insurance company did total the Monte. I kept it and am still driving it. I'm waiting for a break in the weather to coincide with some time off and I am going to try my luck with fender straightening, removing contact transfer paint, and buffing scratches. If I can do all that I can save myself a pile of $. After I have done all I can do I will decide whether to get the body shop involved or not. I will keep yall posted.

I really want to trade it for a 7th gen SS. You don't see many around for sale and the ones I find in good shape the owner has them priced well...I don't blame them.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member

Good morning guys.

15 degrees this morning with some flurries still falling. We got 1" of snow yesterday. Our next winter storm is lined up beginning tonight and it looks like it'll start as snow and then around 4am transition to sleet/freezing rain before changing to mostly rain midday tomorrow. Where I am it's showing 2-3" of snow and then 0.25" of ice tomorrow. And then it's suppose to transition back to snow late tomorrow into Wednesday AM with another 1-2" of snow. All of the current watches/warnings:

Lower Michigan snow totals from yesterday:
3.7" - Berkley
3.0" - Novi
2.4" - Wixom
2.0" - Brighton
1.9" - Farmington
1.5" - Dundee

Originally Posted by GTHSS
I really want to trade it for a 7th gen SS. You don't see many around for sale and the ones I find in good shape the owner has them priced well...I don't blame them.
I'd recommend an 06/07 SS but I'm biased. They're good cars if you can find the right one. I've seen a lot plagued with problems but a lot of others that aren't. Do your research and get yourself familiar with them and their common potential issues - a few are the transmission, oil burning, hvac blend actuator clicking and quarter panel rust (which is really all 2000-07 Montes). A lot of the ones I see with problems are people that beat on them. Don't limit yourself for the right car and don't settle on the first one unless it IS a good car. I'd recommend one still with 5-digit mileage (the lower the better). I looked at two black ones, the second being the one I have now. I ended up going 4.5 and 3 hours out of state to look at those two because I found a lot of the ones in Michigan were priced high. I've owned mine for 8.5 years now and have personally put 34k miles on it during my ownership (the car's now at 95k). If you'd like any input or have questions, etc. don't hesitate to ask.

Quick Reply: Member's BLOG: Month of February 2019