Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Monte Title Issue (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/monte-title-issue-58564/)

Dj_bosse 07-05-2017 09:40 PM

Monte Title Issue

I don't know if anyone on here would be able to give me ideas, but I have a pretty bad title situation and wondered if there was a solution.

So my dad gave me my car when I turned 16 ('00 Monte) but kept it in his name to make insurance and everything easier. When we moved to Indiana, the state put a lien on the title for owed child support (despite the lien amount being way more than the car's worth). Now I'm in a sticky situation where I'm 21 but can't get the car switched to my name. They say the lien is $400 but we paid the $400 and never released the title so I'm assuming it for the full amount of child support. Is there a way to talk to the state and let them know it's not my dad's car that they have the lien on?

drivernumber3 07-06-2017 09:38 AM

You should check at the county where the lien was placed and take the proof that the lien was satisfied and have it recorded there.
If that doesn't work just turn the Car over to them and let them sell it, and buy it back with a clean title.
They most likely won't get much for it.
this type of Red tape is so deep you can't win for loosing, a lot of times.
Sorry? :(:confused:
You might want to check on the Website legal zoom and see if they have anything that may help.

The_Maniac 07-06-2017 12:53 PM

Since your dad never moved the title to your name, I doubt you have any signed and notarized documentation on the deal, odds are no government entity is going to take it into consideration. You both can try, but in the end, you are talking about a set up that was being done to cheat the insurance system and that does not look good either.

Sadly, all these matters take time. If your dad paid everything, hopefully he has supporting documentation that can be provided, just start working the system to get it all released.

Dj_bosse 07-06-2017 05:05 PM

Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, we didn't keep the title in his name to cheat the insurance system. My dad was under the impression that the title and insurance need to be in the same name. With me being a new driver at the time, insurance would've been significantly more expensive in my name.

It's just a frustrating situation, especially since my dad doesn't live in the state anymore so it's much more difficult to renew plates and registration. I'll go ahead and check around the internet to see if I can find anything helpful.

Thanks again

The_Maniac 07-08-2017 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dj_bosse (Post 704508)
With me being a new driver at the time, insurance would've been significantly more expensive in my name.

It does not matter to me, but this statement sounds like trying to cheat the insurance company. I am not complaining about what you guys were doing. Some insurance companies have silly things that can reduce rates and if we can leverage them, why not?
Before you go explaining this to any one that has control on the situation, take a moment to look how this sounds from the stance of someone listening to it. Because you could get a lower insurance rate, a car that was really yours was not put into your name, as a result, here we are today.

Originally Posted by Dj_bosse (Post 704508)
It's just a frustrating situation, especially since my dad doesn't live in the state anymore so it's much more difficult to renew plates and registration. I'll go ahead and check around the internet to see if I can find anything helpful.

Thanks again

Your situation may be tough to get answers from people on the internet. As I mentioned, best course of action, if your dad is still in the picture, track down how to clear the lien based on the child support. Your dad may need to make calls to the courts and possible mail/fax in information, but if this is truly a mis-understanding, it should be able to be cleared up.

One other option you could look into.... Find out what your state's laws are on obtaining a title on an abandoned vehicle. Perhaps you can file paper work to claim the car has been abandoned and you would like the title to do something with it.