Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: Friday, June 29, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

We did manage to get the Impala engine out and somewhat disassembled yesterday. Appears it def needs a set of rings. We are going to go ahead and do a close rebuild on it and put a bigger cam and some other things like headers. Should make the Flowmasters pop a little. It already has a nice set of 487X heads if that means anything to you. Also appears that it is a 74 350 engine. We werent sure till we got it out and checked the casting numbers. I may start a thread for the car and just keep adding to it as we go. Hoping to still get it painted after the engine work.

Last edited by 77gp; 06-29-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:53 AM

Good Morning Sarge `Drew,
It sounds like life is going good for you 4-Sure...EnJoy your new day & I hope you can get done, what you need to get done... Are you planning on going to church on SunDay ?
Don't 4-get to say thank you

I hope everyone has a great Friday & WeekEnd...
Be the driver of your life & drive it to where you want to `be Be Safe out there...& don't 4-get 2 buckle `up..
Peace/Out

Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good mornin' all & TGIF! Hope everyone enjoys their day!

Old 06-29-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by 77gp
We did manage to get the Impala engine out and somewhat disassembled yesterday. Appears it def needs a set of rings. We are going to go ahead and do a close rebuild on it and put a bigger cam and some other things like headers. Should make the Flowmasters pop a little. It already has a nice set of 487X heads if that mens anything to you. Also appears that it is a 74 350 engine. We werent sure till we got it out and checked the casting numbers. I amy start a thread for the car and jsut keep adding to it as we go. Hoping to still get it painted after the engine work.

Hi `Jerry, sounds like a fun project..Are you going to mill the heads.?.Port & Polish ? 3/4 race cam ? are you going 40 over ? What type of carb is on it now ? How about 2 fours with progressive linkage ? or 3 two barrels ? Oh, is Hunter help'in learning ? Look 4ward to seeing your thread & updates... Thanks 4 sharing & good luck on getting the power & sounds that you desire 4-Sure
================================================== =====
Good Morn'in Seattle `Mike, again I was wondering where you were this morning, but it's always great to see you online. Wish you & family a great day & weekend...EnJoy your day & the MCF....
=====================================
p.s. I'm waiting for another Atlas rocket launch this morning..It's been delayed a few times because of tech problems, but they are still try'in to get it in2 space 2day..They are now on there 3rd attempt..It's another Top Secret Satellite .(Don't tell anyone) LOL.It's a beautiful morn'in here in Florida, but it's going to get HOT later 4-Sure....Peace/Out

Last edited by Space; 06-29-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:07 AM

5 Year Member

I am thinking about milling the heads, It appears already bored 40 over. It was suppose to have been rebuildt 20K ago. I am taking the micrometer home from work and measuring it to see if it is. Hunter has been watching alot. He had company so he was in the pool yesterday. He will be in on it and learn. I don't want to go overboard with this engine since it is the wifes LOL. The intake is an elderbrock along with a eld 750 carb.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:16 AM

Morning All,

Not looking forward to the 106 degree temp's we're expecting all weekend. Not sure if I'll do as much work on The Wife's Monte and my old car as I had planned. We'll see...

I get to don my Army uniform one more time today. My son is a counselor at a theater program happening this week at his high school. The program this afternoon includes a military tribute. They asked me and a few others to take part. So I dug my uniform out of the attic last night. Should be fun.

Happy Friday everyone.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Space
Good Morn'in Seattle `Mike, again I was wondering where you were this morning, but it's always great to see you online. Wish you & family a great day & weekend...EnJoy your day & the MCF....
Now that my daughter is out of school for the Summer my schedule has changed a bit and I'm still trying to adjust to it.

Originally Posted by 77gp
I am thinking about milling the heads, It appears already bored 40 over. It was suppose to have been rebuildt 20K ago. I am taking the micrometer home from work and measuring it to see if it is. Hunter has been watching alot. He had company so he was in the pool yesterday. He will be in on it and learn. I don't want to go overboard with this engine since it is the wifes LOL. The intake is an elderbrock along with a eld 750 carb.
You could get away with milling the heads (they have 75cc combustion chambers) and not have to worry about raising the compression too much. If the block has already been bored .040 hopefully there isn't excessive taper in the bore. At 20k there shouldn't be, but I don't recommend boring to .060 on a street engine. The casting becomes thin between cylinders and overheating problems are almost guaranteed. IMO a 750cfm carb is overkill for that engine. It will never flow enough air to utilize it. A 600cfm or 650cfm vacuum secondary carb would offer better street performance.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:41 AM

Good morning everyone! On the road to Johnson City, TN to the Monte Nationals, 4 more hours to go! Gonna be a hot one!!!! Really wanted to drive the Monte, but decided to tow instead...I've always been a magnet for bad drivers...lost 2 Montes over my lifetime to wreckless drivers so I'm a bit skittish about long trips. Kinda draggin' this morning, it's been a long week, but once we stop for food, I'm sure I'll feel better!!! Need food!!!! lol!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Goodluck Callie!!!

Thanks space!

Have an awesome day in Seattle Mike!

Everyone have a COOL day!!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 AM

5 Year Member

Good Luck at the Nationals everyone, can't wait to see the pics...

Quick Reply: Member's BLOG: Friday, June 29, 2012