Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Ford's 3-cyl & 8-spd's (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/fords-3-cyl-8-spds-28682/)

milrlyt 06-05-2011 03:15 PM

Ford's 3-cyl & 8-spd's

Clicky here if you haven't heard about it yet

What do you think? What if GM went this way? Will it catch on? Would you be interested in a car like that?

Let's hear some thoughts?

bumpin96monte 06-05-2011 10:19 PM

I think the 3 cylinder part is a great idea, and is just a natural progression. The highest power engines went from massive 8-12 cylinder models, down to huge cubic inch V8's, and now people are getting crazy power out of 4 & 6 cylinders (look at the 4G63's, and 2JZ's doing 1k+ to the wheels). I'm sure that trend will only continue with more airflow research, direct injection, solenoid operated valves, etc etc. I think its a step in the right direction showing that the same power (or more) can be made from a smaller engine- that also likely gets better gas mileage as well.

Not sure how I feel about the 8 speed- I haven't even driven a 7 speed yet. I'll be honest- I don't really care for the 6 speed autos in the GM vehicles I've driven- it seems like its spending so much of your time accelerating sitting on the clutches shifting (at least under normal driving); and it also seems like the cars I drove with that had a pretty narrow powerband at WOT- using all the extra gears as an excuse to build an engine with a peaky, short powerband to boost the HP # on the window sticker. I think part of it may just be me being used to driving my GP- healthy, flat torque curved V8 with a 4 speed auto. I really would like to drive driving a 7 speed (or 8 speed when they come out)- to see how it really is.

milrlyt 06-05-2011 10:33 PM

The cars that mainly get huge power from sub 3-liter displacements are ones that are turbo'ed. Even if they're fast, they sure don't sound the same as a classic V8 /400/405/etc, cc ;)

I agree on the transmissions. I figure 6 spd is more than enough. You can only go from clutch-shift-gas, clutch-shift-gas, clutch-shift-gas so many times before it would become maddening. And you'd have to shift a lot sooner. And in traffic...! No thanks. Sure, like you say, testing them out might be worth it, but I imagine it would be annoying to have that many gears. Who knows though.

mrl390 06-05-2011 10:39 PM

These are autos they are talking about. I highly doubt anyone will make a manual transmission with more than 6 gears, unless its one of those manumatic transmissions that apply the clutch and shift for you. I think its only a matter of time before manual transmissions are available in only performance oriented vehicles.

milrlyt 06-05-2011 10:45 PM

Oh I hope that isn't the case. In fact I think they need to bring back the sticks. Ford actually produces a lot more stick shifts than the other American brands though, it seems? And anyway, they don't call it a standard transmission for nothing.

I guess an 8 spd auto would be just as boring as any other speed auto then :p disregard my transmission rampage then.

xxtheshockerxx 06-06-2011 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by milrlyt (Post 330536)
The cars that mainly get huge power from sub 3-liter displacements are ones that are turbo'ed. Even if they're fast, they sure don't sound the same as a classic V8 /400/405/etc, cc ;)

:iagree: i do like how the subaru wrx sti sounds tho :D

milrlyt 06-06-2011 10:34 PM

OK, the WRX is an interesting creature. It's totally a ricer, but it has the power to back it up unlike most of them, it's AWD, AND it doesn't completely sound like a mobile fart can with a bullhorn attached to its tailpipe. I agree with your statement. :D

xxtheshockerxx 06-06-2011 11:22 PM

i almost got one instead of my monte :eek: