Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: February 2018 MCF Member's Blog

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Then the #3 Car ends up winning the Daytona 500. That was kind of exciting.
I'm not sure how I feel about that finish. Dillon did what he had to do and Almirola actually said he had no hard feelings toward Dillon. I guess if you can feel good with yourself after doing that to win then by all means go ahead. I guarantee if that was Harvick, either Busch brother or a handful of other drivers in Dillon's shoes you would be hearing the outrage.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 02-19-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
I'm not sure how I feel about that finish. Dillon did what he had to do and Almirola actually said he had no hard feelings toward Dillon. I guess if you can feel good with yourself after doing that to win then by all means go ahead. I guarantee if that was Harvick, either Busch brother or a handful of other drivers in Dillon's shoes you would be hearing the outrage.

Well last night the wife had Roast Beef dinner and they had about 10 to 7 laps left when she called and she was watching the Olympics but taped the race on the DVR.
I just checked it out.
So when you block you should make sure you have a fast enough car to stay in the lead.
Looks like that didn't happen. If you lift you loose, they are all going for the win and the 3 had a good push.
If this would have been Dale Jr. or Kenny Schrader they would have hit the brakes and not won, as for Me I would have stayed with my foot in it, the 3 looked like he tried to dodge the 10 but he kept ducking in front there.
Didn't appear like the 10 had enough go to get away.
At least he didn't go off on about it so that was very sportsman like. this is probably only one of 5 races that I will watch this year, this venue has upset a few folks and I am one of them. That is why the stands are so empty. Thanks for calling my attention to the ending of the race I was glad now that she recorded it.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

Good morning everyone. Finally warming up here. Spring is coming!

I have really backed off watching NASCAR the last few years, seems like they have alienated their core fan base. I did watch the Daytona 500, it was fairly entertaining. Congrat's to the #3 team!

As for the blocking I don't like it. I hate to see anybody spun out but when you see a car coming with a good head of steam at 198mph and you jump in front of it you are crazy. If the guy checks up and causes a chain reaction behind him there's a crash. If he stays in the gas and pushes you there's a crash. I blame NASCAR and their restricter plate rules for creating that situation.

I'm ready for some short track action. Glowing brakes, sideways in the corners, and bent up fenders!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
Smile Good Morning MCF

Good Morning MCF
I got the photo contest up for voting here is the link.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/of...ies-one-59405/

Old 02-20-2018, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member

Good morning guys. Raining and already 55 degrees, going up to 63. We've got flood watches and warnings all over; we're suppose to get something like 2-3" of rain.

Pyeongchang 2018 - Day 12 - Medal count (as of this post)
Norway - 29
Germany - 23
Canada - 19
Netherlands - 14
France - 13
United States - 12

Originally Posted by GTHSS
As for the blocking I don't like it. I hate to see anybody spun out but when you see a car coming with a good head of steam at 198mph and you jump in front of it you are crazy. If the guy checks up and causes a chain reaction behind him there's a crash. If he stays in the gas and pushes you there's a crash. I blame NASCAR and their restricter plate rules for creating that situation.
Yeah I agree with this. Bump a car, it spins. Draft close enough to a car, it spins just from the air. Nascar just is not the same it used to be back in the 90s. Even broadcasts nowadays seem more of a production rather than just the race. CBS was the best broadcaster and I miss those days. I don't watch nearly as much as I used to. I try to watch the big races and catch what I can but not religiously like I used to.

Looking at that 500 finish some more, by the time they approached turn three, Dillon had enough room below to pull out and make a pass to the bottom and actually "race". There was no need to drive into Almirola and wreck him but that's how Dillon races, just look at the kid's past. And honestly Almirola is waaaaay too nice of a guy. Man if Dillon wrecked Harvick or Kyle Busch, he'd have it coming.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 02-20-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:02 AM

Seems were all in agreement with Nascar loosing it's fan base. I don't agree with the blocking even on the last lap. I'm a big fan of short tracks and a few other's like Atlanta and Michigan for the wide open racing but also enjoy the road courses because it actually makes the driver show what he is can do without the draft.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:51 AM
10 Year Member

Almirola kind of screwed himself by getting a little too far out front of the others who eventually got that run coming down the backstretch. Still doesn't warrant wrecking a guy and, like I said, Dillon had space to pass him on the inside.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 02-21-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:40 AM
10 Year Member

Good morning guys. Still raining, we've had roughly 2.5" of rainfall over the past two days and are now under a flood warning for the Rouge River; as of 1am this morning it was at 16.8 ft and rising and is expected to crest around 17.5 ft this afternoon (flood stage is 15.0 ft). Snowmelt is also adding to the amount of ground saturation.

Nice driving through stone projectiles and dodging crater-size potholes these days. It's great to see our increased gas tax and increased registration fees going to good use...

Pyeongchang 2018 - Day 13 - Medal count (as of this post)
Norway - 33
Germany - 24
Canada - 21
Netherlands - 16
United States - 16

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 02-21-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Good morning guys. Still raining, we've had roughly 2.5" of rainfall over the past two days and are now under a flood warning for the Rouge River; as of 1am this morning it was at 16.8 ft and rising and is expected to crest around 17.5 ft this afternoon (flood stage is 15.0 ft). Snowmelt is also adding to the amount of ground saturation.
I hate floods and I have seen more than my share of them.
I was riding with an emergency manger one time in his truck and he felt he needed to show me the worst of the flooding.
We are heading down this country road the water is flowing over the road at least a foot or better.
He the says, you know maybe I shouldn't have taken this road. If we get swept off, we can wait till the Cab fills with water and them float out. Go ahead and unbuckle your seat belt he says. This wasn't really the trip I was wanting to experience. We lucked out, and didn't have to float out. The river was out of it's banks some 2 miles each side of the banks.
Some of the nastiest stuff is in this water, you need a tetanus shot to be around it. The Hwy patrol was even out with there armored car, they took us along to see the flood damaged areas.

The funniest thing in the flooding experience is we were searching for a railroad bridge that had collapsed, we kind of knew where to look but there were no roads that would lead to it. My buddy was with me and he said how you gonna know where this is? Then I came up on a road sign. I said this has got to be it! How would you know he said? The road sign said broken bridge road. We got a chuckle out of that!!

Stay away from fast moving water I was able to pluck out a couple of Dogs that were in it.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

Good afternoon All.

Yeah flood waters scare me. I hope the flooding is at a minimum.