Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Death Of the Camaro (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/death-camaro-60916/)

Thrush_Glasspack 06-25-2019 02:27 PM

Death Of the Camaro

The Drive: Chevy Camaro Will Die in 2023, No Seventh-Gen Successor Planned: Report.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/28680/chevrolet-camaro-will-die-in-2023-no-seventh-gen-successor-planned-report

bumpin96monte 06-25-2019 07:28 PM

I'm not surprised it's on their mind. The latest sales numbers have started to slide. It does seem they're pulling the plug earlier than usual as sales aren't really awful yet. But I do see what they mean - theyve already done a facelift on a 10 year old car (which really has been circulating via concept since the mid 00s). Next step is a full model redo which is super expensive.

Given sales already aren't amazing and a full refresh is a gamble, it probably makes business sense to do it.

Only thing I worry about is timing between axing that and the C7. Thatll leave them with no affordable RWD sports car (that is assuming the c8 will be well over the $55k base c7 range). Will be interesting to see how they handle that.

Thrush_Glasspack 06-26-2019 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 718120)
I'm not surprised it's on their mind. The latest sales numbers have started to slide. It does seem they're pulling the plug earlier than usual as sales aren't really awful yet. But I do see what they mean - theyve already done a facelift on a 10 year old car (which really has been circulating via concept since the mid 00s). Next step is a full model redo which is super expensive.

Given sales already aren't amazing and a full refresh is a gamble, it probably makes business sense to do it.

Only thing I worry about is timing between axing that and the C7. Thatll leave them with no affordable RWD sports car (that is assuming the c8 will be well over the $55k base c7 range). Will be interesting to see how they handle that.

True but I know a lot of people arent really fond of this new look. Many enthusiasts I know still love the 2010 model.

06mistreSS 06-26-2019 01:08 PM

7th gen Camaro has been put on hold, or delayed. Those are GM's words. I wouldn't believe anything unless it's directly from GM.

The Seventh-Generation Chevrolet Camaro Has Only Been Delayed [Update] | GM Authority

ChibiBlackSheep 06-26-2019 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush_Glasspack (Post 718129)
Many enthusiasts I know still love the 2010 model.

Ain't that the truth! But 2012 ;)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/monteca...dc06ce6eb3.jpg

drivernumber3 06-26-2019 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush_Glasspack (Post 718114)
The Drive: Chevy Camaro Will Die in 2023, No Seventh-Gen Successor Planned: Report.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/28680/...planned-report

This doesn't surprise me either. It would appear the management is somewhat challenged and has made some very poor decisions like closing USA manufacturing and going with non-domestic locations.
The American people realize this and would prefer an American made vehicle. They will abandon the brand preference and choose something that they like other wise. Besides that the Price is off the scale on these things, Dealers don't appear to make there own deals anymore they sell on the Factory incentives.

I did this back a few years ago 20 or so. There used to be a plant that manufactured Vise-Grips in Dewitt, NE, along comes Irwin tools and buys them out, in the course of a few years they closed the plant and went all Chinese made. So now the Quality is down and the price went up. So I can buy 4 to one at harbor Freight for Chinese made Vise Grips. Why would I want to buy the Irwin brand?

The_Maniac 06-26-2019 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush_Glasspack (Post 718114)

I've already seen a couple of these. I have also seen historically one news source spouts something half baked and the others grab that half baked item and follow. This could also be a ploy. I have heard/seen companies start a rumor like this to wrangle people back. If people believe they may see the end of Camaro, they may buy one to have part of the end.

Heck, when Camaro/Firebird ended in 2002 (supposedly because SUV sales were over taking that market), GM was already planning at least the Camaro return (probably Firebird too until they axed Pontiac).

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 718120)
theyve already done a facelift on a 10 year old car (which really has been circulating via concept since the mid 00s). Next step is a full model redo which is super expensive.

I liked the original 5th gen, I was not sold on the mid-gen restyle. And less impressed with appearance of the 6th gen. Even though I know a lot of other things are going on with the 6th gen from a performance stance, I feel it looks so much like the restyled 5th gen. It felt like a lack of creativity to me. I was hoping they might do a retro 3rd gen Camaro (if they did, I might go buy one).

It's a wait and see game.

bumpin96monte 06-27-2019 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS (Post 718137)
7th gen Camaro has been put on hold, or delayed. Those are GM's words. I wouldn't believe anything unless it's directly from GM.

The Seventh-Generation Chevrolet Camaro Has Only Been Delayed [Update] | GM Authority

TBH, that's a pretty odd tactic. Sales are starting to nosedive, so let's ride out this current model even longer and see what happens.

Would be interesting to hear their real logic behind that instead of the fluffed up PR stuff

06mistreSS 06-27-2019 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 718150)
TBH, that's a pretty odd tactic. Sales are starting to nosedive, so let's ride out this current model even longer and see what happens.

Would be interesting to hear their real logic behind that instead of the fluffed up PR stuff

I just find it odd that GM would kill the Camaro and let Ford and Chrysler control that market. Doesn't really make sense. You also have to consider that GM is currently working on the C8 Corvette which is switching to a mid-engine layout. That C8 is suppose to launch in the next couple years and that project might have some influence on other stuff going on. The C8 has only been on track until recently - I have now seen it camo'd up on the highway here in Metro Detroit.

It IS typical GM though - ride out a generation of car for as long as possible before a redesign. I'm not surprised Camaro sales are going down. People want something new. Yes, the front and rear lights have had several mild refreshes but this Camaro has been basically the same, at least the overall shape and appearance, since 2010.

bumpin96monte 06-27-2019 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS (Post 718152)
I just find it odd that GM would kill the Camaro and let Ford and Chrysler control that market. Doesn't really make sense.

Like you mentioned with some if the other stuff, theyve done it before. Current sales numbers aren't too far off from the 4th gen as it neared the end and its certainly trending in the wrong direction.

People want something new. Yes, the front and rear lights have had several mild refreshes but this Camaro has been basically the same, at least the overall shape and appearance, since 2010.
I do agree that's a big part of it. What makes it feel even older is that this body was really introduced in 06 with the concept cars so people have been seeing this body for a long time now.