Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Cross Country Road Trip (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/cross-country-road-trip-18527/)

Gib DTD 02-05-2010 12:38 PM

Cross Country Road Trip

Im going on a cross country trip around march 20th. Living in the northeast I know how the weather usually is out here around that time of year, I was wondering if anybody could tell me the general weather conditions along Interstate 80 and/or Interstate 90 around that time of year. The route I take is dependent upon the weather. I am hoping to get out to Seattle anywhere between 3 and 7 days from when I leave New York.

If I take I-80 ill be traveling along there until I reach Salt Lake City, then heading NW to Seattle. If I take 90, Its going to be a straight shot from Ohio along 90 into Seattle. Suggestions are accepted and much appreciated.

Blazed SS 02-05-2010 02:05 PM

I do that run from Oregon to Nebraska and back and I will tell you in the winter you want to go I-80 ... I-90 has 2 many mountain passes and can be closed a lot and they will make you carry chains + traction tires ... FYI it takes me 2 to 3 days 1 way when the weather is not bad I-90 is great in the summer and the fall but in the winter it is a no go for me

rj 02-05-2010 06:45 PM

In Ohio 80 & 90 piggy back across the top of the state.

Being that close to the lake the weather up there can depend on which minute of the day it is?

Cowboy6622 02-05-2010 09:10 PM

You're moving right along to get there in 3 days from New York.. I'd focus more on the 7-10 day range. It looks like your area might be getting a pounding right now from the snow... it's always going to play a factor this time of year when you into those kind of latitudes and altitudes. I know some of those states require trucks to have snow chains in the side box... didn't know any states required them for cars.... I think I'd just not travel :) Can you put off the trip until summer?

Gib DTD 02-05-2010 10:22 PM

Going to school out that way, me and my sister and we will most likely stay with my aunt for a few hours or a day in WI. The rest of the time well be switching driving duties (thats why I am able to say 3 days). I am used to long drives, I drive down from here to Orlando and back once a year to go work for Mickey Mouse for a week. I only stop to get gas, I get food and go to the bathroom at that time. This year it took me 16 hours 15 minutes to get home, a new record.

I was figuring on taking 80 anyway because of snow, but your suggestions are really pushing that as the best route. I guess Ill take 90 on the way home in August. Thanks for your help, if anyone wishes to continue to chime in, feel free. If you have some good rest stops or fueling spots on 80 to share, i'm sure it would be helpful.