Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Beware CARFAX is not always true!! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/beware-carfax-not-always-true-60125/)

drivernumber3 08-30-2018 10:29 AM

Beware CARFAX is not always true!!

Beware CARFAX is not always true!! So i am shopping for new Auto Insureance and form the original quote it went up a $100.00 so the agent finds out that the insureance company checked the CARFAX no Accidents but the mileage was incorrect on the the Car they were say we drove it more miles than we said. So when Mrs. Bickerson bought the thing she got a bunch of free oil changes and so kind of paint sealing treatment. possibly she was not thinking when she did that. Any way we go to the Service Dept. with the Equinox and this one time the ding dong had the wrong mileage down on the work order, they told me they would change it.
So now it shows up on the CARFAX however they maybe forgot on purpose. anyway the Insurance company said I had 71K on the car but it actually has 61K. So when you have your car serviced they must send that into CARFAX, but they need to figure in the stupid factor. :whistling::bang head:

The_Maniac 08-30-2018 04:07 PM

Carfax is never an end all be all. It's also only as good as the data it receives and can gather. They have a free service to "help you" track your service (even for the DIY guy). Goal is for you to increase data they can offer in the future on YOUR car. I'm sticking to my spreadsheet for service tracking.

But yeah, lots of automotive shops (dealers, body shops, whatever) are reporting data to CarFax about your car,

I had a friend that looks at a car at a dealership. Dealer handed a clean CarFax. My friend had a weird feeling, pulled his own. He found that the CarFax the dealer showed was when they got the car at auction, it was STALE! While transporting the car from auction to the dealer's lot, it was in an accident my buddy found on his CarFax. He told the dealer due to that dishonesty (as they KNEW they were showing an old CarFax), he's never doing business with them.

I also know someone who bought a car from a dealer. Nice deal on an Impala. He pulled his own CarFax, it was clean, car was a short lived rental car (maybe 6 months as a rental). Bought the car. Years later goes to trade the car in at a different dealership. Told it had a huge accident that was lowering the value (despite non of the techs appraising the car could find evidence of). What appears to have happened, car was in an accident, rental company had it fixed and flipped it out before CarFax was updated!!! SNEAKY!

I have used CarFax when buying a used car, but it's just a tool to help. Common sense also needs to play in. Sorry to hear the insurance company is taking such an expensive stance because of a CarFax!

One last one... I know someone who got a great deal on a Buick LeSabre. Car has 70K miles but the title says 140K, I was with them when buying and believe the story. The family selling the car said it was dad's car, went to dad's son before dad passed but during that transaction no one noticed the title bureau added an extra one. Then went from the son to his sister selling it for him (as he moved to Hawaii). Using a CarFax helped validate the mileage on the title was bad. You step through the servicing of the car and then that one weird mileage pops up (everything before and after are in line with the odometer). THe title bureau will not correct it with out a painful experience (resurrecting a dead guy or a crap ton of hardship). Silly....

drivernumber3 08-30-2018 10:21 PM

Well the agent is kinda straightening out the Insurance Company. They took photo's of the odometer and sent them in.
That's why I hate some times to take into a service dealer because the people that are working there are clueless and maybe have no math skills at all.