Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Any Top Gear Fans?! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/any-top-gear-fans-31105/)

mousehousemoparman 09-20-2011 09:32 PM

Am I missing something? I've watched both the American and British bersions and I guess I just don't get it. It in my opinion ranks right up there with that other high class automobile show "The Car Show" with those three out of four Bozo's. I have to admit that I have only watched a few of the episodes but I find them lame.
I watched this weeks episodes: British version they have a Jaguar fitted with locomotive wheels running on railroad tracks towing half a dozen or so camping trailers similarly equipped and they are talking about the noise level and vibration in the campers. The last camper is fitted with a potty on the back with some dude taking a dump with his news paper as the second car I think an Audi is equipped as the Jag. The driver is complaining about the odor from the dump and complaining he can't pass. He puts the car in reverse and looks for another track. I can't tell you what happened next cause the remote jumped into my hand and I switched to Pawn Stars or American Picker. Not sure which because I also watched Lizard Lick towing and that other show about repos from those fat dudes out of New Jersey. That sh*t is dumb but at lease it is funny.
I watch the American version this week too. Still lame but a little better. This week they are trying to duplicate three movie cars for 2000.00 each and then see how they perform. Lamo #1 decides he is gonna replicate the General Lee from the Dukes Of Hazzard. His choice? A 73 plymouth Duster slant six, automatic with bad brakes. He welded the doors shut, painted it orange, and put 01 on the doors. It sounded like the thing was skipping in addition to not being able to stop. Lamo #2 decided on the Deloreon time machine from the Back To The Future movies. He choised a Nissan 200SX, makes a fairly accurate looking flux capacitor thing from some hardware store crap. He then takes the doors off and remounts them from the roof with piano hinges so that they are gullwing. Everytime he turns the car the doors open and he dumb ass almost falls out. Lamo #3 decides on K.I.T.T. from night rider. He picks an mid to late 90's Firebird which is the generation bird. He cuts the steering wheel and mounts some children's toys to the dash.
Test number 1 accelerate to 88 M.P.H. And then stop as quickly as possible with out slamming thru a wall of cardboard boxes. Neither the Duster or the Nissan made 88 so both crashed the boxes. Test number to reverse at high speed turn 180 and continue in drive. They gave it to the firebird again. The duster ran so poorly it alsmost stopped between gear shifts. The Nissan ran off course and the numbnuts driving the firebird cut the steering wheel so he had little car control.

My opinion is they ruined three cars that could have had a better purpose. I would have liked to own the Duster and Nissan myself. All three have potential of being collectible. If your going to do dumb sh*t like that to a car what is wrong with an 86 Ford Taurus, (Robocop), a Crown Vic wagon, National Lampoons, and maybe an 87 Dodge Diplomat, any number of cop shows. Point is nobody would care if they trash a Taurus, Crown Vic, and Diplomat. Well maybe I would a little.
Last week they ran a Pontiac Sunbird over with a tank. OOPS that was the CAR SHOW. They are all a waste of film. IMO.

Leprechaun93 09-20-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by oneslowmonte (Post 365453)
That was the finale already? I thought it was weird how they took a week off, sheeeeesh that was short

That was the week of 9/11 and the history channel had specials airing i believe.

Cowboy6622 09-20-2011 10:27 PM

BBC's Top Gear is the best show on TV... check the stats, most watched show in the world, most pirated show in the world. You just can't beat taht!! Ilove the challenges... great stuff going on. I do think they could get some more affordable cars in. They also tend to hate American cars. Taht's natural I guess. We hate their stuff too.

Mr.Monte 09-20-2011 10:30 PM

i watched that yesterday! lmao it was so funny when the stig gets pulled over at the end!

bama_z34 09-20-2011 11:02 PM

i LOVE top gear uk, but i despise the american rip off :( all they do is copy james, jeremy and richard. the only reason i watched the us version a few times is bc i like tanners ability to drift anything and i liked the test of the best truck in the world lol.

Jester_20 09-21-2011 12:00 AM

IMO the UK version is 10 times better than the american version. Just wish they had more american cars. Would LOVE to hear their take on the 7th gen monte with the LS4. Either way, it's a great show and the 3 are hilarious

oneslowmonte 09-21-2011 07:37 AM

I see a lot more UK fans than American :rolleyes: I suppose that's to be expected given the fanbase of the BBC series. One of my favorite parts of the shows is how they always mess with each other, on both series. I think it was the American special of the BBC series where they all drive these sports cars and one of them is a push to start. With the guy not caring because it's not his car, he leaves it unlocked, and is sitting inside of a diner a few feet away from it, so one of the other guys moves it onto the main street of the small town and parks it there :rotfl: seriously funny stuff

MillerMonteSS 09-21-2011 09:09 AM

I like them both. If I had to choose, the UK one has the better cars.

nyislanders 09-21-2011 09:19 AM

I love the UK Top Gear. The US one is meh. It can't compete to the original. It's not bad, I'd just rather watch the UK one instead.

nitehawkjcb 09-21-2011 10:20 AM

I like the show, both the US and the UK versions.

I watched one where a guy drove a Ferrari from Cali to Vegas, while the other guy took a plane from Cali to Vegas. The Ferrari won by like 5 minutes. Granted the plane had an hour or two delay lol