Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   1968 california special Mustang (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/1968-california-special-mustang-30270/)

Tadcaster 08-14-2011 11:53 AM

1968 california special Mustang

My cusin is going through a divorce and wants to sell me his 1968 California special Mustang.

I need some input from you guys and Ideas.

here is what I know of the car.

It is painted white. Orginal color was some shade of blue ( I would want to put it back to its original color.)
289 engine _ (I dove it a couple years ago) It will need a rebuild
No body damage or parts missing has shelby type tail lights, fog lights and break scopes.
3 or four speed manual tranie (forgot wich)

Pros:

Wife loves it
He didn't mention a price but said he would take about anything for it.

Cons:
I don't have a place to work on it (Our Monties use the garage)

I'd love to get this car and restore it.

Are these Califonia Specials a collectable?
What is one worth if restored and if in rough shape but drivable?
Any Ideas about extra car space? I live in a subdivision so a poll barn would be out.

It has not been garaged for as long as I knew he had it. But has been driven occasionaly.

Interior will need work some missing missing parts on the console

I will try to get pics of it and have my body shop man drive out there with me to get an estimate on the restoration of the body.

He also has a 70 or 71 GT 350 stang I think it is too far gone it has been sitting under a tarp in his back yard for over 10 years but will look at it too. Have to kick out the current inhabintants (Mice)

Tadcaster 08-14-2011 12:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
For those that don't know, here is a sample of a 1969 California Special Stang:

zjerry 08-14-2011 12:05 PM

There are a few on ebay for sale , Califonia Specials are collectable some people like them more then Shelby Mustangs ..

LINK:Ford : Mustang | eBay

LINK:Ford : Mustang | eBay

77gp 08-14-2011 12:09 PM

Not doing anything for me but hey, thats me. Anyways, you wll be hard pressed to coem out at a good price after bodywork and painting. You would probably never get back what you have in it. I could be wrong considering its a California Special. Didn't know there was an older one. Good Luck. try to post some pics of both, like to see them.

Tadcaster 08-14-2011 12:11 PM

I see the bid on the 1st link was up to almost 13K Thanks Jerry

Tadcaster 08-14-2011 12:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 77gp (Post 352194)
Not doing anything for me but hey, thats me. Anyways, you wll be hard pressed to coem out at a good price after bodywork and painting. You would probably never get back what you have in it. I could be wrong considering its a California Special. Didn't know there was an older one. Good Luck. try to post some pics of both, like to see them.

Here are jerry's e-bay ones

Barovelli 08-14-2011 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used to walk by one every day on the way to school in the 70s. Swore I wanted it and would get one someday.

There's one local on Craigslist for $15,500. If I had more money than bills....

1968 Mustang California Special

Teacher 08-14-2011 01:02 PM

I say go for it.

77gp 08-14-2011 02:09 PM

Evidently there is a market for them. If you can get it at a good price, Go for it.

lougreen03 08-14-2011 03:24 PM

If the price is right and you can get the restoration done I say go for it. Its always fun to own a classic. I seen one of those before but I didnt know anything about it till now. I was the guys wifes car and she bought it brand new, it was an unrestored original in pretty good shape. The only bad thing about it was it was an awful brown color. still nice tho.