Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/)
-   -   Who let that Lumina guy in here? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/who-let-lumina-guy-here-37935/)

Luminator 07-24-2012 12:45 PM

Who let that Lumina guy in here?

Yes, I currently own one of those "family friendly fifth gens". I'll elaborate on that later, but first, here's my past ownership pedigree.

I was a late bloomer in the first car category. I didn't jump in until one week before I turned 23. It was a one-year-old 1997 Monte Carlo LS, with alloy wheels and finished in Torch Red.

I owned that from 1998 to 2000, when I traded it in on a brand new 2000 Monte Carlo SS. Black with black leather interior, fully loaded with everything. That was back when the the sixth gen first came out, and I was one of the earliest in Calgary to have one. It was my first, and to date only, brand new car. I was determined to keep it until it was a future collectors' item.

That all changed in August 2006 when an inattentive moron in a Volkswagen Golf blew past a yield sign and wiped out most of the passenger side. It was repairable, but a writeoff. I bought it back with intent to fix and keep it, but then decided I didn't want to deal with all of the hassles and BS associated with rebuilding a salvage vehicle. I sold it to a guy who did rebuild it, and it's still around as far as I know.

For the next six years I was Monte Carless, as I focused on my first love which is AMC products. I drove an AMC Eagle daily for six years and loved it, and still own a few of them. I should also add that during this same time frame I got married and had two daughters, now ages 2 and 5.

In 2012 I started looking more and more at fifth gen Monte Carlos, and thinking about how well the design held up 17 years later. But, now that I was no longer a carefree twentysomething and supposedly a mature (yeah, right) and responsible thirtysomething husband and father, I would have to compromise... and compromise had a name. Lumina.

I could find base and LS Luminae all day long, but I wanted an LTZ - specifically a 1998 or 1999. I knew finding one wouldn't be easy, but this month I finally landed one at a very reasonable price. I paid a hefty sum of $350 for it, so needless to say, it's a bit of a project. It runs, though only on five cylinders at the moment. It's a 1998, in a turquoise greenish color.

Boy, that was a long winded intro. Kudos to those who hung in there long enough to read it all. :thumbsup:

zjerry 07-24-2012 12:56 PM

Welcome to the Forum..

ChibiBlackSheep 07-24-2012 01:04 PM

:welcome: to the forum!

It's a shame about your 2000, we know that is the best year ;)

My first car was a 95 Lumina :D

turbo monte 07-24-2012 01:14 PM

:welcome: to mcf! :( about the 2000 monte

06mistreSS 07-24-2012 01:54 PM

Welcome to the Forum! That's too bad about your 2000. My first car, a 2003 Monte Carlo SS, was totaled almost two years ago now so I know all too well about what you went through.

Mr.Monte 07-24-2012 02:02 PM

welcome!

Ricks 2006 SS 07-24-2012 02:23 PM

COULD YOU REPEAT THAT ?:rotfl: Welcome to the forum. Nice story. :thumbsup:

03JGMonte 07-24-2012 02:58 PM

Welcome to the Forum

Tadcaster 07-24-2012 03:12 PM

welcome aboard

MnteCrloSS47 07-24-2012 03:14 PM

Welcome!