Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/)
-   -   Now a Monte Carlo owner (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/now-monte-carlo-owner-60296/)

RVMAN 11-03-2018 07:37 PM

Now a Monte Carlo owner

Hey everybody.
Just bought a 2000 LS Monte Carlo 3.4ltr.
Only has 83000 miles very clean but I knew as soon as I looked at it that it probably
had a lower intake manifold leak. (finger in radiator cap does not lie)
I bought it anyway and just completed replacing the LIM and anything and everything in the path, (plugs, wires, hoses, fluids and then some) Thankyou RockAuto.
Seems like every GM vehicle I've had has had the problem, so this isn't my first time.
I must say that it was easier to work on than just about any car I've had.
The last few years I've been playing with Northstar Cadillacs and Toyota Solara's, so this was a piece of cake.
I just took it out on the Montana interstate for a shake down run and it is getting GREAT mileage.
I was able to squeeze 7 gallons of fuel in it after a 250 mile trip, running 75-85 mph.

drivernumber3 11-03-2018 08:42 PM

Wow, 35 is good mileage for sure.

Originally Posted by RVMAN (Post 714767)
Hey everybody.
Just bought a 2000 LS Monte Carlo 3.4ltr.
Only has 83000 miles very clean but I knew as soon as I looked at it that it probably
had a lower intake manifold leak. (finger in radiator cap does not lie)
I bought it anyway and just completed replacing the LIM and anything and everything in the path, (plugs, wires, hoses, fluids and then some) Thankyou RockAuto.
Seems like every GM vehicle I've had has had the problem, so this isn't my first time.
I must say that it was easier to work on than just about any car I've had.
The last few years I've been playing with Northstar Cadillacs and Toyota Solara's, so this was a piece of cake.
I just took it out on the Montana interstate for a shake down run and it is getting GREAT mileage.
I was able to squeeze 7 gallons of fuel in it after a 250 mile trip, running 75-85 mph.

Wow, 35 is good mileage for sure. :thumbsup: I can't get that with mine. Those IMG are made by the cheapest bidder and they don't last.

Jeffs02rwdSS 11-04-2018 04:21 PM

Welcome to the forums

RVMAN 11-05-2018 07:10 PM

Thanks everybody,
Yep the intake gaskets are the death of a lot of fine GM cars.
I'm still getting familiar with the car, RPO codes show it having a 2:86 differential ratio.
Is this the standard ratio on these cars?

Sidestreet 11-09-2018 04:39 PM

Yep, the LS's 2:86 ratio is what helps the most for those good fuel-economy numbers from the 3.4 -- assuming the engine's tuned up right, of course, and that's just what you did.
(The ratio on the SSs was 3:29.)

RVMAN, what color combination is your 2000?

RVMAN 11-09-2018 06:02 PM

Silver with black cloth interior.
Really enjoyed it so far, have had several icy snowy days and it has proven to be pretty sure footed,
I have a set of studded snow tires that came with it but I don't think I'll need them.