New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Is it Junk, or just needs love?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:36 AM
Question Is it Junk, or just needs love?

Im new to this site, so sorry I don't know my way around it all to well yet, not sure if im even posting in the right place, I just have a question about my 2003 ss monte carlo. I'll explain first. I had been in a bad relationship for the past 7 years, my ex had no respect for others belongings. From the minute I purchased my car he treated it as if it were his and would always take my beautiful car and leave me to drive his p.o.s. Long story short he treated it like crap and would never tell me it was acting up until it broke down. I always got it fixed. Day finally came when I grew a pair and took my life and my car back. I was dumb enough to warn him all my things had been moved and im waiting for my car. I had just got a tune up for it about 3 months beforehand, and had just checked my coolant a week beforehand and put some in. The first thing I did was check all my fluids, from what I seen everything was fine except the transmission fluid. I put more in. My car slowly started acting up within the first week, when in drive if I came to a stop sign or had to slow down it would have trouble taking off, it would try then all the sudden jerk and go. I had to continue putting transmission fluid in every week, it drove just fine every day I put new fluid in. Due to the situation I couldn't afford to take it in because of moving expenses and figured It was just a leak and ill keep checking it for now until I get settled in. I had a good friend come look at it for me after I got all my moving done. He told me my coolant had been replaced with water, and my radiator needs fixed and very likely the ex had someone tamper with it and that is why my transmission fluid keeps disappearing. He told me DO NOT drive it unless there is an emergency before you can get it in. I got rides to work for the time while my monte sat. well of course there was an emergency, my ride didn't show up one day. I have a point system at work and due to moving lost many of them, couldn't afford to loose the last one I had been holding on to or it was my job. I had to take my car. On my way home, got about a block from my house, got to a stop sign, wouldn't take off at all, wheels would spin but no movement, had to put it in 2nd gear to get it home at a whole 5mph. Reverse will also work but drives slow. I know the car has been mistreated badly, that's why I explained. I simply want to know is it worth getting fixed? could it be something simple? or is it the transmission? Just wondering weather to fix or suck it up deal with it and buy a junker until the loan is paid. I have one year left on the loan. Its just so sad looking in my driveway at such a pretty car, and know it could be the end.

Last edited by lizardbreath; 02-14-2013 at 02:46 AM. Reason: left somthing out
Old 02-14-2013, 07:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Greetings.

The transmission relies on hydraulic (fluid) pressure in order to operate correctly. When the fluid level gets low the pump in the transmission cavitates (gets air in it instead of fluid) and the transmission shifts erractically. If you continue to drive the vehicle the way it is serious damage to the transmission will occur. Repair cost depends on where the leak is. It could be something as simple as a loose fitting that needs to be tightened or as severe as a seam seperating on the cooling tank. I would have the leak found and fixed asap so you don't destroy the transmission. If you have water only in the radiator I would flush the cooling system and put a 50/50 mix of water/coolant in it.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Greetings and Salutations...
Welcome to the best forum on the Planet!

Sorry to hear your ex was so abusive on your Monte.

Most definately if your only issue is loseing trans fluid.. Like chris had mentioned..Maybe find someone you know that knows a bit about cars and see if they can find the leak...like he said it could be something as simple as a loose fitting...

Pure water is never good in the radiator...Most auto parts nowadays carrys 50/50 mix..antifreeze....I would try to take care of that immediately... Maybe while your at the auto parts maybe ask 1 of the counter people to check that trans leak...

Since we dont know what state your from..
Its a little difficult to tell you where to take it to get it checked out..
Good Luck!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM

Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry as well that your car was mistreated, I hope its only something lose that needs tightened, and not something major. You should get the car checked asap, if you could help it don't even drive it to the shop where you want it to get looked at. You'll need a cooling system flush as well, and need to fill it with 50/50 mix antifreeze. I really do hope its only something minor and nothing major. Keep us posted.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 AM

I don't understand how exactly the car wouldn't move unless you put it in second? It is an automatic therefore it should be that it will go through first gear and up to second but not go over it. My best guess is that you need to get the tranny rebuilt. Usually to have a shop do it with a 2yr unlimited mile warrenty will run you about $2000 or so. At least it did for me.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Originally Posted by burgundybullet
I don't understand how exactly the car wouldn't move unless you put it in second? It is an automatic therefore it should be that it will go through first gear and up to second but not go over it. My best guess is that you need to get the tranny rebuilt. Usually to have a shop do it with a 2yr unlimited mile warrenty will run you about $2000 or so. At least it did for me.
If 1st gear is out u can put it in 2nd to bypass the broken 1st, i had to do it on one of my older cars

Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 AM

Hmm. Never knew that. I always thought if first went bye bye you wouldn't be able to move.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:10 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

In my Sierra it did, had to rev it up a bit before it go though

Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would consult a professional mechanic first that way you will know what is wrong and how much it will cost to fix it.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 PM

Sounds like tranny needs a rebuild.

If you still owe on it, I say tough it out and fix it.
If the trans is the only issue, it should last for a while.

When mine went out, I also had to put it on 2nd.

Good luck!! Welcome also.

Quick Reply: Is it Junk, or just needs love?