Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/)
-   -   Front End Damage!!! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/front-end-damage-43756/)

BLM 07-01-2013 02:37 PM

Front End Damage!!!

I have read many posts on this site and have never joined but have found very good advice to guide me with all things mechanical when it comes to my car. I have now decided to join to collect some thoughts on where I should go from here.

I have an 01 Monte and it is my baby, I have had it traded off 3 different times and could never bring myself to sign the paperwork; we are attached!!! I have loved these body styles of Monte's since the first time I rode in one when I was in the 8th grade, it took me years of saving but I finally bought this one 3 years ago; cash money, owned it out right she was mine!!!

Well Tuesday afternoon on my way home I rear ended an S-10 and from that I have the saddest view in my driveway. I am sure she is fixable but have no idea where to start! Any thoughts?

(Will post pictures as soon as I figure out how!!! Look at my albums.)

steelmalu43 07-01-2013 02:48 PM

first and foremost....you need to get the front bumper cover off,,, take everything damaged off so you can see what exactly you need.

From the pics it looks like your going to need a bunch of stuff... sorry for stating the obvious.

turbo monte 07-01-2013 04:21 PM

first off welcome to mcf! now as stated above you need to get the bumper cover off and start pulling off broke/bent parts and see what your getting into. ill tell you right now the rad support is mangled and the engine cradle is hard to say but i am willing to bet its bad as well. from looking at the pics i can guarantee any insurance company would call that a total loss.

it is going to be impossible for you to straighten that car out without a machine body shops have i am willing to bet and then even at that im sure it will never be right. there will be bigger or smaller gaps than suppose to be, probably once fixed wont even drive the same.

im sorry to say man but if it were me i would cut my losses and try to find another monte carlo if you love them that much :(

zjerry 07-01-2013 06:02 PM

Looks like a hard hit..

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/me...re-y-19023.jpg

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/me...4252-19021.jpg

BLM 07-01-2013 08:49 PM

It was a hard hit, it was awful. I am still walking like a hunchback!! I do think the pictures make it look a lot worse. I have different pictures now that I have it home and the bumper off that I will post when I get time. I know its a mess but I like the idea of turning my Monte into our project car instead of another lifted up truck!!!!

The_Maniac 07-01-2013 10:29 PM

Looking at the pics, you radiator core support took a huge brunt of the impact, mangled all up. Until the fenders are off, it's hard to tell by pics what the rest of the body frame members look like. But if that impact rippled more of the car, it might be fighting a loosing battle. If you are lucky enough that the core support is the only structural piece that was mangled, you might be able to find a way to pull it out (to striaghten most of the metal up) and then cut it out and replace it (I've seen companies sell that piece brand spankin' new rather cheap). And yes, I said cut it out. No matter how straight you make it, the structural integrity has been compromised. These pieces are designed to serve various functions for driving and in the event of an accident.

All food for thought.

Whether you replace or repair this Monte, best of luck. Keep us updated with pics of the process.

turbo monte 07-01-2013 10:55 PM

Air bags deployed I'm assuming.... if not they should have! And with the airbags deploying you will need a new dash and steering wheel as well :(

BLM 07-02-2013 06:53 AM

Yeah I did have the joy of the airbag flying out at me but I have already found a donor car for the interior, hood, fender, and bumper.

The_Maniac 07-02-2013 11:53 AM

If I recall, you have to do more then simply replace the deployed air bags. To get air bag light off, you will need a service tech with a GM Tech II to turn it off. I know a guy that used to do air bag service for a living and he informs those companies typically will NOT turn that light off unless they did the service, since it puts them at risk (since they do not know what parts were used or if they were properly installed).

I have read of some companies that offer mail order services to reset the computer by sending it to them (have to google that).

Most of the times small fender-benders end up being a totaled out vehicle because of air bags being deployed (it's an expensive system to repair).

Also, if this car gets written with a salvage title, you may have increased difficulty in restoring it. I know in Ohio, you have to get the car re-inspected when it's back to restored condition. In that inspection process, they want receipts for all repair parts and even VINs from parts used from donor vehicles. I've read some states will not permit use of salvage air bag equipment.

Before you begin spending money, check up if the car is getting a salvage title and what you need to do to get it re-titled as a working vehicle (this way as you do your repairs, you can meet up with your state's requirements).

I've been in a similar position, I wrapped a 1984 Camaro Z28 around a telephone pole. Since it was an older car and had only liability insurance, it was just towed to my home (never written off as a salvage title, so I dodged that mess). The car was resurrected..... But I limited my spending a step at a time. First part was to rip the car apart, get a good look at the damages. Then repair the mechanics (I crushed a rear quarter, broke the rear axle and rear brake assembly and shattered the hatch). Once it was drive-able, take it for a spin, see how she handled (was it way out of whack or seem pretty close, lucky for me, she drove dead on). Next I sourced parts and ended up handing it off to a body shop to do the rest.

I'm concerned about how much structural damage is under the fenders of your Monte. Just be careful and best of luck!! Again, keep us posted!

BLM 07-02-2013 02:13 PM

I so appreciate the advice about the titling issues but I forget to mention that a salvage title will not be a problem because I like you only had liability on my car so it went straight to my driveway as well. Plus I live in good ol' Kentuck, so when it comes to car inspection if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck!

I have no intention of dropping a ton of money at one time to restore this car either as much as I would love to. I have other vehicles to drive and going broke doesn't make good sense to me. I have a body man that is going to come out and check it out this weekend and if he thinks it can be SAFELY restored I will go from there. I personally know him so it gives me a little more assurance that he isn't going to lie, cheat, or screw me.

I will let you know what I find out this weekend!!!