NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.
View Poll Results: Which ways would make the weekly rundown better? (You can make multiple selections)
Nothing, leave it the way it is!
77.78%
Quit covering the smaller teams like Red Bull, Petty, Earnhardt-Ganassi, etc.
11.11%
Less history, track information
0%
Provide a summary of good picks/bad picks at the end
22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Picks/Pocono/Sunday Afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:58 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Pocono/Sunday Afternoon

Points and Congratulatory Remarks

First off, congrats to last weeks winner, zJerry! He seems to have figured out the 1.5 mile tracks... winning the last Pocono race, Daytona, and then Indy! So is he the man to beat again?

The overall standings shook out a little bit last week, with Chris taking a slim 9 point lead going into Pocono.

1) montecarlo3831 1950 Leader
2) Cowboy6622 1941 -9
3) 77GP 1924 -26
4) JuniorCar 1914 - 36
5) RocknSS04 1877 -73
6) KidSpace 1834 -116
7) lougreen03 1823 -127
8) zjerry 1804 -146
9) BocaReject 1009
10) silverfish 487
11)03JGMonte 452
12) carlm54stl 374
13) nichols2k 342
14) Teacher 214
15) LnLSS06 190
16) Nocturnx 85
17) odessadude 73
18) dustybird3 34

With only 2 races in the books for Segment 3, zJerry has taken the lead going into another 2.5 mile track! MCF NASCAR Fantasy Rookie Teacher Todd runs 2nd!

Segment 3 Standings

1) zjerry 221 Leader
2) Teacher 214 -7
3) montecarlo3831 201 -20
4) Cowboy6622 197 -24
5) lougreen03 191 -30
6) LnLSS06 190 -31
7) KidSpace 183 -38
8) 03JGMonte 179 -42
9) silverfish 159 -62
10) RocknSS04 148 -73
11) 77GP 148 -73
12) nichols2k 146 -78
13) JuniorCar 137 - 87

Weird Facts of the Week (Fantasy Facts)

No one has ever won back to back races in MCF NASCAR Fantasy, even when you include or exclude non points races.

Also, since this is the time of the season we start going back to tracks for a second time, we could start seeing a lot of season sweeps.

No one has swept yet... but zJerry could fix this problem by winning this week... he would sweep Pocono, and win 2 in a row...

Track Summary

I really think we can look back at the spring race for inspiration to this race. Since they are so close together on the schedule, and the track is so crazy different, it isn't like the cars and the handling have changed much and you haven't learned much since hte last race here. The guys who dominated the first one will probably be contenders in this one.

Hendrick Motorsports

For a while at Indy, it looked like Hendrick had it going on.

I think the Alan Gustafson/Jeff Gordon combination on the big, flat tracks is going to be hard to beat this week. They were there at the end of the Indy, they won Pocono and Phoenix, and they're back at Pocono. I think there is a strong chance that win #85 will come this week, and I will most likely have Jeff Gordon this week.

Jimmie Johnson needs to get back into his stride or something... he's not showing the signs of a 6 time champion yet. However, there were a couple of years where about this time of year, Jimmie started winning races and putting up consistent top 5 finishes. Could we see it again? Look out...

Mark Martin had that Dale Jr. esque look last week... good for 20 laps, crappy for the rest (from what I could hear on the radio). Until Lance McGrew is fired, I dont' see anything happening... especially since we all know he's gone next year anywho.

Dale Jr.... what to say. He was good for about 15 races. He seems to be on a slow steady decline back to those 2009-2010 days. He really needs to get back to tracks like Michigan, Bristol, and Atlanta to get back into a stride. These last few tracks were never good ones for him anyway.

Richard Childress Racing

Harvick hasn't been as sneaky the last few races... not to say he isn't being sneaky about being sneaky either though. Here are the kinds of drama he gets into at Pocono though:

2004 with Matt Kenseth.... they ended up putting Kenseth at the back, and after the race, swapping Kenseth and Harvick's finishing position... weird thing to do, never seen them do ti before or since.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owYAaQ7zhMY

then last year with Joey Logano!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8hCwG6x4pQ

Jeff Burton has a new crew cheif.. .but the same bad luck. Montoya screwed him at Pocono.

Bowyer hasn't impressed me much at Pocono in the last year or so... he seems to be on that old downward spiral since that mishap at Kentucky.

Menard..... hey, hte blind squirrel found his nut.

Joe Gibbs Racing

I haven't seen a Toyota engine issue in awhile... that tells me the problems are resolved, and they'll have it together come chase time.

This is a great track for them! Dennis Hamster will have to get his season back on track... and this is one of his best tracks! I wouldn't be surprised if the number 11 comes on strong this week....

Pyle O'Buschit was 3rd here in the spring... yet that cost 77GP and lougreen I believe 6 points!

Joey Logano has had a few good runs here... yet he seems to have slipped this year. He was starting to show promise at the end of last year.... don't know what happeend there.

Stewart Haas

I'm surprised Stewart hasn't popped off a win this year... maybe Pocono is hwere it happens? One of his better tracks.....

Sometimes, Newman makes a good run here too! Keyword: Sometimes

Penske

Those Dodge boys are running good right now.. but Kurt Busch hasn't been as dominate in the last couple of weeks. Perhaps the Kyle Busch boat has sailed out of port?

Brad K is getting better and better... showing more career promise than Joey L. by quite a long shot right now.

Roush-Fenway Racing
And on the Nationwide side, the FR9 engines have been having some durability issues. Is there something goign on and the cup cars having luck, are they experimenting with stuff on the Nationwide side and just won't admit it? The cars are usually dominating until they blow on those races....

Carl Edwards is probably the teams best hope here. However, he blew up at the spring race. Maybe backflip #2 is in order?

Greg Biffle got Ford's first win of 2010 last year at this track, and he is a good flat track runner... if he is good for nothing else.

David Ragan and Matt Kenseth aren't the guys to dominate Pocono... they may run well, but I don't see them winning either... good but not great. Ragan has been showing promise... since he is driving as hard as he can and looking in his mirror for the day taht Jack signs his car over to Trevor Bayne or Ricky Stenhouse.

Asshat Teams

I'm going to start rolling Earnhardt-Ganassi, Petty, Red Bull, etc. into another category all together, and just talk about which ones I think may be to watch out for .

Juan Montoya' season started last week. However, does he have what it takes to close a deal? He was dominating the spring Pocono race when Brian Pattie kept putting 2 tires on his car to regain track position he had lost on.... 2 tire stops. While the rest of teh world took 4.... they handed this race to Jeff Gordon!

Marcos Ambrose is pretty good at these tracks that resemble road courses. However, the Petty team has all its focus on 1.5 mile intermiediates.

Kasey Kahne is trying to impress sponsors for his move to Hendrick next year. He is also pumped up (most likely) since they have agreed to take the pit crew with him.

Brian Vickers hasn't done a good job considering that if he doesn't impress someone, he will be a start and park for some random team next year.

Summary

If anyone is interested, here is how the spring race played out:

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2011..._official.html

Overall, I'd say this is a good indicator of what to look out for in the spring race. Practice and qualifying will matter at this track. The guys who are dominate here and are the strong picks for this track are good, strong picks for a reason....

Otherwise, have fun watching hte 24 hours of Pocono this weekend!

My Picks

Without seeing any practice or qualifying, I'm going to stick my neck out and go with

1) Jeff Gordon
2) Denny Hamlin
3) Carl Edwards

I also say Kevin Harvick spins someone in turn 3 and makes a media spectacle out of it.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 08-02-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am picking first this week so nothing else will influence my pick
Denny Hamlin
Jeff Gordon
Kurt Busch

Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 AM

5 Year Member

How many times can you turn off the same guys bumper in the same crash? Kurt Busch showed us last year.
‪Elliott Sadler Pocono 2010 crash with Replay and Interview‬‏ - YouTube

This was one of those times last year where people questioned if Jimmie was a 5 time champion again... what did he show us about thaT?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:45 AM

<TABLE class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center itxtNodeId="54" itxtHarvested="0"><TBODY itxtNodeId="273" itxtHarvested="0"><TR itxtNodeId="278" itxtHarvested="0"><TD class=alt1 width="75%" itxtNodeId="287" itxtHarvested="0">Nothing, leave it the way it is! </TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap itxtNodeId="286" itxtHarvested="0"> </TD><TD class=alt1 title=Votes width="12%" noWrap align=center itxtNodeId="285" itxtHarvested="0">3</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I wouldn't change `Duane...It's working great 4-Sure
p.s. I'm also happy to be running Mid Pack from my guesses Thanks `Duane for all your time & dedication to your MCF NASCAR Threads We all appreciate 4-Sure

Old 08-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Here's my pick's
1) Jeff Gordon
2) Tony Stewart
3) Kyle Busch

Last edited by zjerry; 08-02-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'll be at this race

If anyone wants to send me over some money, I can throw banana peels in front of the cars they don't pick

Old 08-02-2011, 11:03 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Im go with

Gordon
Hamlin
Kyle Busch

Old 08-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I'll be at this race

If anyone wants to send me over some money, I can throw banana peels in front of the cars they don't pick
Someone may take you up on that. Have fun at the race and get lots of pics for us

Old 08-02-2011, 05:55 PM

5 Year Member

Well.... we might have a new pick next year: Danica Patrick!

Report: Patrick finalizing full-time Nationwide deal - Aug 02, 2011 - NASCAR.COM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I'll be at this race

What's the going rate on Kyle Busch or Juan Montoya?

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 08-02-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

$10

Quick Reply: Picks/Pocono/Sunday Afternoon