NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Kentucky/SatNight

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I just heard on the news that rumor was Joe Gibbs was taking him. That can only mean Logano is on the way out. That sucks since he has his confidence up and doing really good. I do believe if this happens, he will land on his feet elsewhere in a good ride.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:26 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

I think that win was a fluke. He hadn't been running well all season, put together one race on one of his good tracks, and hasn't run well at Michigan but did do decent at Sonoma. Sounds like the writing may be on the wall for the poor guy. But would Gibbs put a driver who is creeping into his twilight years, a man who has a son nearly Loganos age, into a seat that Logano could hold for the next 20 years? Sound improbable to me..... but Logano does have 3.5 years and 2 wins, only one of which was won without a rain delay.... never made the chase, only put together a few strong runs or ever showed any consistency but for just a few races at a time...

Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I dont think he will end up at Gibbs, but i do believe Laganos days are numbered there, if JR hadnt pit at Pocano Logano wouldnt of won, hes really just a Nationwide driver imo, maybe Kensith will end up at Penski??

Old 06-26-2012, 07:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Well kenseth is a ford guy....sooooo penskes going to fords..might be a great combo?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 PM

5 Year Member

On RaceHub, their silly season lady and AP writer says she is almost certain a deal is already in the ink with Gibbs and they're just setting up a big press conference to announce it all.... but what she doens't know is if it will be a 4th Gibbs car or Logano is getting a boot.

I just hope that whatever it is, Kenseth is leaving at his own will. I hope it isn't a case of Roush kicking Kenseth out because Kenseth is 40 years old, is entering his twilight years of his career, and Roush needs to keep Stenhouse in a Ford to keep Ford's hopes of winning races and contending for championships 10 years from now alive.

Although in a sense, that's what Hendrick did with Mark MArtin. I don't know that Martin was really ready to leave Hendrick. But Hendrick had a guy in his early 30s with a blooming career, lots of experience for his age, and ready to go win championships at a team capable of contending... so out with Mark, in with Kasey.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM

Hmm odd wouldnt see him really goin there

Old 06-27-2012, 01:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
I just hope that whatever it is, Kenseth is leaving at his own will. I hope it isn't a case of Roush kicking Kenseth out because Kenseth is 40 years old, is entering his twilight years of his career, and Roush needs to keep Stenhouse in a Ford to keep Ford's hopes of winning races and contending for championships 10 years from now alive.

Although in a sense, that's what Hendrick did with Mark MArtin. I don't know that Martin was really ready to leave Hendrick. But Hendrick had a guy in his early 30s with a blooming career, lots of experience for his age, and ready to go win championships at a team capable of contending... so out with Mark, in with Kasey.
The difference between Martin and Kenseth on this deal is sponsorship. Martin had full time sponsorship, so I really can't figure out why Hendrick would want to do what he did. I think they finally got sponsorship for Kahne for the year now, but it wasn't easy. They still can't fill the season for sponsorship with Kenseth. But I don't see how that's going to change with Stenhouse either.

It does seem silly to "part ways" when you are the points leader. But then, I thought it was silly to fire a championship winning crew chief like Pony did with Darien Grubb. Is anybody in this for the purpose of winning?

Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 AM

5 Year Member

You know, Brent, it is actually funny you say that because we had this discussion on the TorinoCobra thread the other day. One guy said the reason Jimmie Johnson and Chad Knaus win so much and won 5 straight was because they were the only team that really cared to actually win the championship. His accusation was that the money has gotten so crazy in this sport that you can make millions of dollars and be set for life just running 15th every week, when it wasn't necessarily that big 20 years ago. Twenty years ago, and even fourty years ago, there was money in it at the top level, but you still could make it just as well at home doing something else. So most of the people in the sport were in it because tehy really wanted to win races. Therefore, they just want to make as much money as possible, whereas Jimmie and Chad are the only ones really focused on actually winning champoinships rather than showing up and collecting paychecks.

Seriously, it has some sense to it. Carl Edwards was in a contract year in '08 with Office Depot, drove his butt off, signed that big deal with Aflac and had all kinds of money coming it, then he went to crap for nearly 2 years. Then last year was a big contract year, he d rove his @$$ off and nearly won the whole thing, now he just signed a huge deal with Fastenal, locked up for a few years, and now he is urnning like crap. Next time he is in a contract year, like Biffle and Kenseth both are now, he'll go out and drive his @$$ off and go for a championship to lock up more dollars.... tha'ts what this guys point was.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 AM

I can see truth to that, gotta run good when u want more money & new sponsors or wanna keep you job

Old 06-27-2012, 01:28 PM

5 Year Member

My mind and heart just isn't in this Kentucky race..... I'm ready for Daytona next week... Kentucky is just sooooooo boring it isn't even worth the time and effort to go....... it was even more boring than Kansas or Chicagoland last year!

Quick Reply: Picks/Kentucky/SatNight