NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks for California!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks for California!!!

First off, here are the points going into Fontana. The two guys who show up like 1 hour before the race and make picks are separated by 3 points for the lead. BocaReject has held the points lead since Phoenix!!!! He'll be looking to hold on to it as segment 1 reaches it's halfway point.

1) BocaReject - 395
2) RocknSS - 392
3) carlm54sl - 374
4) Cowboy6622 - 363
5) JuniorCar - 354
6) 77GP - 342
7) montecarlo3831 - 330
8) KidSpace - 328
9) zjerry - 317
10) lougreen03 - 316
11) Nocturnx - 85
12) odessadude - 73
13) dustybird3 - 34

California is a pretty predictable race, and it certainly deserved to have 100 miles chopped off of a race and lose the other one. I wouldn't be surprised if this track suffers the fate of Riverside and Ontario in the next few years, with the land being ate up by eminent domain and becoming a shopping mall or some crap. Put some high banks or something on that track, lets go!

So anyways, I'm quite certain I won't be picking any Toyota's this week (SHOCKER!!) They had problems at Daytona, Phoenix, and Las Vegas... and California is one of the toughest tracks in NASCAR when it comes to engines. Last year, the new Ford engine took a beating here, and left the front of the field to the Chevrolets... but I think the Ford guys have it figured out.... and there is only 1 Dodge really worth mentioning, and he hasn't run well here since he left Roush ironically enough... to my recall anyway. But back to the Toyotas... I want to see them all hold up for a whole race on one of these fast tracks before I pick them on a horsepower/engine track again.

So who am I looking at for this week? Well, Jimmie was always good here when it came to winding down to the chase and when it was in the chase... the Roush guys.. Edwards, Biffle, and Kenseth, I believe they all have wins here... Stewart is looking good this year, even though he had a less than perfect run at Bristol last week, this is a Tony Stewart kind of track, and I think he won here in the fall. Jeff Gordon is not showing the consistency this year... I look for him to run top 10, but I don't look for him to challenge for the win either. And even though I can't stand the guy, Harvick is showing some of that pose he showed last year.... he's good on a big fast track... he won one of the Michigan events last year too, I believe. I like Harvick for this week because even though they suffered some bad luck at the beginning of the year, they're overcoming adversity, and if the chips fall in the right places.... this guy could get his first win of the year in his home state.

And remember, if there is a points penalty assessed to your pick, you're taking the hit as well!!! Have fun picking!!

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 03-21-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

Off topic a bit but maybe I should let my 11 year pick for me. There is a league in our local newspaper and he is in 6th, 22 points out. I am in 184th. You had to pick 6 drivers from different groups and stick with them all year. He has never been lower than 55th and now moved up to 6th. Proud of him, but a lot of races to go. 1st place gets $500 AND 2012 Brickyard tix, 2nd gets $350 and Nationwide tix, 3RD gets $150 and Truck tix. Maybe him or I can win. Clifirnia seems like Jimmy track too I think, people always go out of there way to run good at home. Not making my pics just yet but I know who two of them are and maybe all 3. Good Luck all.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:29 PM

5 Year Member

Sounds like your son is doing pretty well then!! I was well into NASCAR at that age myself.

It might be a good idea that if someone knows they're going to miss a week, to be able to kind of "Ante in" with the forum... have a set of general picks to make, or even make your picks a week early... carry over hte picks from the week before. Something like that. I want to see some practice speeds and qualifying and maybe see how a couple of guys do in that.... but I won Bristol by making picks on like Tuesday and never looking back..... Carlm54stl made a good point over in the Bristol thread.. just go with your gut instinct nad hope it sticks.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:13 AM

5 Year Member

If only I could have 4 picks this week!!! I'm certain I want Jimmie Johnson on my team. I'm torn between Harvick, Edwards, and Stewart for my other 3. Hmmm.... decisions, decisions!!!! Kenseth is kind of my long shot guy.... maybe even Biffle.

I'm going to take the Chevrolet route....

1) Jimmie Johnson
2) Tony Stewart
3) Kevin Harvick.

Top 10 Breakdown...

7 Chevrolets!!!!!!
3 Fords!!!!

Cautions: 6
First Caution: Robby Gordon, lap 33

Last Place: MacDowell

Her'es something for you Kyle Busch haters... especially Brent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHPhFJTMSXo&NR=1

I think the ideal race would be on that starts around 10:00 at night so the censors are down, and have Rusty Wallace, Jimmy Spencer, and Darrel Waltrip calling the race.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 03-23-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:01 PM

5 Year Member

I am going with mostly who I dont care for this week.
1. Edwards
2. Johnson
3. Jeff Gordon

I dont know if it would make a difference if it started late, they may get away with some stuff but I doubt it.

4 Chevys
4 Fords
2 Tiotas

Last place Jeff Burton(seems fitting with his results of late)
6 Cautions

Old 03-23-2011, 03:26 PM

5 Year Member

Old School NASCAR vs. New School!!!

YouTube - Darrell Waltrip - old school vs new school NASCAR

AEREPUSH AERO PUSH!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:40 PM

5 Year Member

Wheres Juniorcar? Havent seen him on for a few days. Will watch the posted vid.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 PM

5 Year Member

He only gets a few minutes online everyday... life gets in his way. He turned up for a second on hte Jeff Gordon Monte Carlo site on Monday I think.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:56 PM

5 Year Member

Juan Montoya set the pole... Johnson 16th, Edwards 18th, Harvick 24th.... hmmm... all the Gibbs cars are starting top 10. I never said Toyotas weren't fast.. just said they had some durability issues. Some weird names in the top 10... I look for this race to kind of flip, with teh guys in the back going to the front and vice versa, because guys like Edwards, Biffle, Gordon, and others are in the back... I just don't look for them to stay there. I don't look for Montoya not to trip over himself yet.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

is the race on Sunday this week?

Quick Reply: Picks for California!!!