Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   NASCAR Racing (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/nascar-racing-27/)
-   -   Picks/Bristol/Sat.Night (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/nascar-racing-27/picks-bristol-sat-night-30432/)

Cowboy6622 08-21-2011 08:03 PM

Picks/Bristol/Sat.Night

Points, Intro, History, Congratulatory Remarks

Congrats to 03JG Monte for his first win last week in Michigan! zJerry has extended his Segment 3 lead to about the biggest points lead I can remember seeing anyone have.

Maybe my having the overall points lead gives my word some authority around here? Plus, the Bristol spring race was the site of my first, and so far only, MCF Fantasy win.....

The Segment 3 looks like this:

Segment 3

1) zjerry 563 Leader
2) KidSpace 527 -36
3) 03JGMonte 504 -59
4) Teacher 474 - 89
5) Cowboy6622 474 -89
6) lougreen03 456 -107
7) montecarlo3831 449 -114
8) nichols2k 439 -124
9) JuniorCar 436 -127
10) RocknSS04 429 -134
11) 77GP 413 -150
12) silverfish 361 -202
13) LnLSs06 190
14) bblackstone 94
15) jcoeracing 84

Overall:

1) Cowboy6622 2218 Leader
2) JuniorCar 2213 -5
3) montecarlo3831 2198 -20
4) 77GP 2189 -29
5) KidSpace 2178 -40
6) RocknSS04 2158 -60
7) zjerry 2146 -72
8) lougreen03 2088 -130
9) BocaReject 1009
10) 03JGMonte 777
11) silverfish 689
12) nichols2k 635
13) Teacher 474
14) carlm54stl 374
15) LnLSS06 190
16) bblackstone 92
17) Nocturnx 85
18) jcoeracing 84
19) odessadude 73
20) dustybird3 34

Plus, despite the "new" Bristol... I feel comfortable saying that Summer Snoozefest is OVER!!! WE MADE IT!!!!! Some may argue that with Kyle Busch pwning the place since it was repaved, summer naps continue until Labor Day. I'll still be awake and watching Bristol... I think.

Plus, if you study the history of this track, something about these short tracks are just prone to streaks. Darrell Waltrip ripped off a string of 7 wins in a row here in the 80's, Rusty Wallace won a few in a row... MArtinsville was once owned by Jeff Gordon, then Jimmie Johnson, then Denny Hamlin.. and right now, Kyle Busch owns this place!!!!

Not quite Torino history... Bristol was the first track a driver tried out power steering... Richard Petty used it on his car in '72!!

Car & Track- 1972 Southeastern 500 - YouTube
MONTE CARLOS ARE IN THIS RACE!!!!! ONE OF THEM WINS!!!

This Week

It's a tense place to race. The regulars tend to be the regulars for a reason since they repaved this place. There are those who have it and those who do not. Plus, some of the usual good guys at this track, like Kurt Busch and Carl Edwards, are on a downward slope when it comes to momentum.

Joe Gibbs Racing

Probably the first time I've ever covered these guys first... the man on a roll at this track, the man you all love and adore, Pyle O'Bul****, is the man here!

Denny Hamlin concenrs me with his lack of momentum... Michigan should have been a big race for him, but it wasn't. He lost the race himself. I don't like his odds this week.

Logano was doing good for a while... so wait for Space to pick, and if Space avoids him, go for it.

Hendrick Motorsports

Jimmie runs good here with the new paving, and won a race here last year, but he tends to have some bad luck here. He ran well last year until Montoya knocked him out... just have to take your odds with him.

Jeff Gordon ripped off quite a few wins at this track. This year, Jeff Gordon has a differnet look in his eye than ever before. I'd watch out for him.

Mark Martin, even when he had a couple of good year,s hasn't run well here lately. He tneds to just drive over people... look for him to run over someone this week.

I believe Dale Jr. has won here.... what do you guys think of him this week? I'd wait for practice.

Childress

It is a good Harvick and Bowyer track... Burton has run well here in the past, almost won one here in '07 or something, but he lost it on a final restart. Once again, we'll just have to see how they qualify and race. Harvick seems to have lost some momentum, and Bowyer had a great run at Michigan to get going again. Paul Menard actually ripped out a 5th place run here in the spring too!

Roush-Fenway Racing

The Good news for Carl EdwardS: This has been a great track for him. The bad news, bad momentum, and he didn't run good here last year... ran 2nd in the spring though. I'm concerned with the momentum for Carl Edwards. Plus, a problem I have with that team is that the FR9 has been having issues lately......

Matt Kenseth has run well here before. I wouldn't be shocked if he had a good run considering his momentum and consistency this year.

Biffle and Ragan.... I'd avoid I think. Biffle, even on a good day, runs bad this year.

Penske Racing

Kurt Busch was hot for a while... but much like the rest of his career, he doesnt' run consistent all season. He just sort of has hot spells. Right now, he's having a 2 race bad luck spell. Kurt Busch has bee nthe man at this track at one time... but I don't see him returning

Brad Keselowski is HOT right now!! He should ahve broken that ankle weeks aog. He may just race his way into the top 10 at the rate he is running right now!!! That Miller Lite #2 has a great history at this track... so we'll see!

Stewart Haas

I don't remember seeing Tony Stewart run well here lately... Newman tends to get it sometimes though. Have to watch these guys in practice I suppose

And I'm reposting this later for those who skim, but if your'e thinking of picking one of these cars, read this article:

http://www.nascar.com/news/110821/ts...gan/index.html

@$$ Hat Teams

I'm covering Petty here. I don't see Ambrose or Allemendinger going anywhere but backwards this week. Montyoa is a hard charger, but someone will screw it up. McMurray had a great run in this race last yea,r but isn't having a good year this year. Kasey Kahne has put on good runs here before, and may just do it again. I can't think of any other drivers who may pull it off this week...

Good and Bad picks

Good:
Kyle Busch
Carl Edwards
Matt Kenseth?
Jimmie Johnosn
Jeff Gordon
Kevin Harvick?
Clint Bowyer?
Brad Keselowski?

Bad:

The ones not mentioned? Hard to say who will be terrible this week and who won't.

However, before you pick Tony Stewart, read this article:
http://www.nascar.com/news/110821/ts...gan/index.html

Final Advice

This seems to be a track where practice matters, yet it doesn't. What I mean by this is that you need a fast car, but you also need a car that can pass well. Watch out for guys that are talking about being able to pass well and use the bottom groove well. Qualifying seems ot matter at this track too.

My Picks

I'm not sure yet... I will tell yo uthe one I am sure of right now and that is...

1) Kyle Busch

The rest I'm going to decide after some qualifying and practice runs.

zjerry 08-21-2011 08:12 PM

Here's my picks
1) Kyle Busch
2) Jeff Gordon
3) Jimmie Johnson

Cowboy6622 08-21-2011 08:27 PM

I'm tempted ot listen to you Jerry... considering you're running away with Segment 3!!!

03JGMonte 08-21-2011 09:17 PM

Ima go with
Jimmie Johnson
Brad Keslowski (hes been running good latley)
Jeff Gordon

Cowboy6622 08-22-2011 07:44 AM

For those who don't live on the southeast Atlantic shore line... there are talks that Tropical Storm Irene might be coming through here this weekend... I don't think it's going to go inland enough to effect Bristol in the mountains of VA/TN, but it may..... I've got a generator if we lose power, but it could still affect me from checking in or getting the picks in if the power goes out at 10:30 at night....

77gp 08-22-2011 08:24 AM

These pics are definately subject to change later this week. Good insight Duane.
1. Kurt Busch
2 Dale Jr.
3. Kevin Harvick
We will see, it has been a while since I have won one of these, Segment 3 is lost for sure, but trailing close in overall. Thats the ticket. :rotfl:

lougreen03 08-22-2011 04:43 PM

kyle busch
jimmie johnson
kevin harvick
Jerry I'm getting this one

Teacher 08-22-2011 06:30 PM

Kyle Busch
Jeff Gordon
Carl Edwards

77gp 08-23-2011 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by lougreen03 (Post 354663)
kyle busch
jimmie johnson
kevin harvick
Jerry I'm getting this one

Give it a rest Lou, look at your sig:p and then at mine:mad:...............LOL

Cowboy6622 08-23-2011 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 77gp (Post 355016)
Give it a rest Lou, look at your sig:p and then at mine:mad:...............LOL

Look at your points :) and then look at his :(

Did I ever mention this used to be my favorite short track? Guess the year that changed.... (Hint: it was the year they repaved it)