NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Forum Nascar bashing and defense

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
Not a fan, but I don't hate. It's just really boring imo, I could stomach watching golf or tennis before nascar, at least a sport where athleticism is involved.

Click below for `fun
Proof that NASCAR drivers are real athletes - 07-13-2010

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON>
ToDay NASCAR Sprint Cup champion and winner of 32 Cup races, ... Are NASCAR drivers real athletes? Greg Engle is the editor in chief for the ...
<CITE>www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=196767</CITE> - Cached

Are NASCAR Drivers Athletes? - SpeedwayMedia.com, Online Resource ...

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON> Dec 23, 2009 ... Yet those sporting events players are considered athletes. NASCAR drivers dominate the stick and ball sport in the definition of athlete. ...
<CITE>www.speedwaymedia.com/articles/Story.asp?S...</CITE> - Cached - Similar

Old 02-17-2011, 09:52 AM

I mean more athleticism such as an impact sport.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 AM

...LOL `Alex, I know , I just was filling `up some empty space on the forum, cause our sponsor's love to see activity : )
Plus, they are interesting articles on the talent of the NASCAR drivers 4-Sure....I wish I was in the shape of Carl Edwards or Mark Martin 4-Sure....Those guys really work `out 4-Sure...
Wish you & readers a great day & fun on the MCF : )
Peace/Happy/Out

Old 02-17-2011, 10:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Athlete of the year. SURPRISED????

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...-wins-ap-award

heres article

There was little recognition outside the racing world when Jimmie Johnson won his first NASCAR championship.

Same with his second, and again with his third.

But four straight championships? That's a different story.

Johnson, the first driver in NASCAR history to win four consecutive titles, earned mainstream recognition Monday when he was honored as the Male Athlete of the Year by members of The Associated Press.

Johnson received 42 votes from editors at U.S. newspapers which are members of the AP. Tennis star Roger Federer (30 votes) and Olympic sprinter Usain Bolt (29) were the only other athletes with totals in the double digits.

Although Tiger Woods was named Athlete of the Decade, the golfer received only nine votes for Athlete of the Year. He was tied with NBA star Kobe Bryant and slugger Albert Pujols.

For Johnson, the first race car driver to be named the AP's Athlete of the Year in its 78-year history, the award is the validation he's been waiting for since he began his historic run in 2006.

"We'd been wondering the last few years, 'When is this going to hit?"' he said. "It seems like the answer is now. The wave is finally peaking, and we don't know where it's going to take us. The fourth-straight title takes it out of our sport and makes it a point of discussion -- like, 'Wow, a race car driver won this thing."'

The 34-year-old Californian again schooled the competition, winning four of his seven races this season when the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship began in September. Two-time champion Tony Stewart dominated the "regular season," but it was Johnson and his No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports team that turned it up when the stakes were highest.

In the 10 Chase races, Johnson finished outside the top-10 only once: when he wrecked at Texas with Sam Hornish Jr. three laps into the eighth race. The crash proved Johnson's mettle, as he sat inside his car, helmet on, for more than an hour as crew chief Chad Knaus led a total rebuild of his Chevrolet so that Johnson could return to the track.

Although the 38th-place finish decimated his cozy lead in the standings, he shrugged off any potential challenge by rolling into Phoenix the next week and leading 238 of the 312 laps en route to a victory that turned the season finale into a low-key Sunday drive for Johnson.

"I'm pretty sure that dude's Superman," said teammate Mark Martin, who finished second in the standings, 141 points behind Johnson.

The march into the record books has attracted attention for Johnson far behind NASCAR's insulated garage. HBO Sports' award-winning "24/7" program has tabbed Johnson for a four-episode series that will chronicle his preparation for the 2010 season-opening Daytona 500.

And he received widespread attention earlier this month when he donated $922,000 in educational grants to 26 schools in California, North Carolina and Oklahoma.

Now comes the AP honor, which Johnson said reinforces what he's always believed -- that even though he's a race car driver, he's "100 percent" an athlete.

"I've looked at other sports, particularly baseball, and I've seen plenty of out-of-shape, fat players," said Johnson, who counts among his close friends former NFL player Jason Sehorn, and MLB players Brian and Marcus Giles.

"So to anyone who wants to go head-to-head with me in athletic ability, let's go. I talked a lot with Jason Sehorn about this, and I don't know how exactly you measure athletic ability, but I know my 5-mile run time will destroy most NFL players."

As Johnson boasted of his personal best -- 34 minutes, 55 seconds -- his wife, Chandra, yelled "Overachiever!" in the background. It's a bit of a joke between the two since Johnson gave a two-year commitment to a New York City-based trainer he calls "the Chad Knaus of the body."

His focus can be fanatical, but Johnson still finds time to maintain his work hard/play hard attitude -- and proved it with a raucous South Beach celebration after the season-finale. The bash left him admittedly weary during the next few days, during a round of media appearances. And when the New York City mayor's office designated a "Jimmie Johnson Day" earlier this month, the champion suggested "everyone should have the day off and go have margaritas."

It's a balance between play and work that he's mastered, and firmly believes he can ride to a fifth title. Johnson recently signed a five-year deal to drive for Hendrick through 2015, and Knaus has predicted the team can keep up its rate of success over the next several years.

"The cool thing," Johnson said, "is we're not done yet."

Old 02-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I haven't been a fan of NASCAR for a very long time... My biggest beef is that these cars in no way shape or form (except name) resemble our beautiful stock machines... I mean you can't even buy one of them in a coupe configuration, to say nothing of the performance engines, last time I checked you couldn't get an 800hp option with or without a restrictor plate...lol... I would absolutely follow it if they kept the cars stock (hi-performance stock V6's or 8's of coarse)... And while I'm at it, shorten the length of the race, there's only so much I can take of watching a line of cars inches apart at 200mph going in circles... What ever happen to the days of "Race'em on Sunday, Buy'em on Monday"... Really miss the old days when it was truely exciting racing... I do have to confess that in the past I did tune in a few times to watch the Monte's race and listen to them on my surround sound, alas, we don't even have Monte's involved anymore... Hope NASCAR is listening, alot more of us would be fans... To the folks that love NASCAR all the power to you, just saying that I'm a racing fan too, just not in the present format...

Last edited by Crusader SS; 02-17-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can understand where most of the gripe comes from with Nascar, But they do alot of the things they do for reasons. They went to these cars to try and keep the field more level cost wise. If not Jimmy Johnsom would win every week and no one would tune in. Safety has alot to do with it also. Who wants a car sitting in their lap beacause they were going 250mph and flipped airborn and over the fence. Not me. People are not as safe as they think at these events the way it is. I too would like to see a more stock looking version but maybe someday they will. basically it is just a front and rear fascia with lots of decals. even in the Nationwide series running the Challengers, it is just a fascia on the same body. But man they look good. Makes me tune in. As for the length, I enjoy them the way they are. I used to be religious about watching them, but if it is nice out, i will listen instead adn hang out in my pool or do yard work. I like the Saturdat night events but that does keep people from their tracks.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Its true the template went out the window with "the New Car" or the "Car of Tommorrow" when they switch 3 years ago. But up until that point (when they were still running Monte Carlo's) the dimensions of the cars, length and width, were identical to our 6th gen Monte Carlo's. They were only 2" lower - easily attainable by customizing suspension.
But no, they don't use FWD v6's, and can you blame NASCAR? (For the record, NASCAR has tried V6's in the Nationwide series before) How exciting would it really be to watch 300HP FWD racing out there? It is the manufacturers that dropped the ball on the traditional stock car premise when they dropped all the coupe's and RWD's. They did it to survive - I understand. That's what happens when you let Toyota into your country. But anyways, racing was too good to let go the way of compact fuel efficiency and crumple zones. NASCAR had to continue building a car you can race.

But it sure was better in the good ol' days....

Old 02-18-2011, 10:58 PM

Although I'm a fan of NASCAR, I do like to complain a lot about how they regulate the sport. BUT, when it comes down to it, I LOVE racing. I don't care if it's 43 cars on a circle track, motorcycles, snowmobiles, two cars runnin' a quarter mile, or two old guys in wheelchairs, I'll find someone to root for. You gotta love racin'. Those who don't, turn the channel.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 PM

I enjoy all Motor Sports. F1, Grand Am, iZod Indycar Series, V8 Super Cars, GP2 what ever else I can view. But NASCAR is my favorite. The 48 car is my team. I am a big fan of Chad Knaus. To say NASCAR is boring I cannot agree. Watching paint dry is boring! Watching stock cars going 200 mph is not. I would like to see a road course added to the chase races and a larger tire added to the cars since they have been using 15" tires since 1948 would be a couple of changes I will mention here. I have more believe me. U can find bad in every series of racing. F1 has very little passing, IRL every body has the same car........ yada yada yada but the thrill is there. NASCAR is the hardest racing there is. How many open wheel racers have done well in NASCAR? None! Juan Pablo has won 1 race or 2, (road courses) All the IRL racers in recent years have failed. Nobody but AJ Foyt and Mario Andretti have done well in NASCAR. That was 40 years ago. NASCAR isn't boring.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:58 AM

Carl, super pic/gif

"From the Track 2 your driveway"
Thanks for your contributions to the MCF

Quick Reply: Forum Nascar bashing and defense