Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Where'd all this come from??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Default Where'd all this come from??

Just afew questions so straightin me if i sound wrong and im sorry if im resurrectin any dead threads.So me and my wife got a 2002 3.4 Monte and i noticed off bat we needed a oil change seeing how the "Oil light" slaps you in the face as soon as you turn over the key. lol .So i give it 2 miles and i do it myself AND reseted my oil light thanks to this forum..KUDOS lol....But now i smell coolant?So i popped the hood looked directly under intake manifold and notice alil coolant pool which i immedietelly suspect it the thermosat and gasket because its right over intake mani.And also im getting some serious start-up/cranking probs now..Like i go to turn over and she acts like she dont wanna turn over but give it a second and turn and shes perfect...Sooo Fuel pump or BCM on this???

Old 09-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could be coolant leaking from the LIM, check your oil and make sure it doesn't look like chocolate milk...

Have you checked fuel pressure?

Spark plugs?

Wires?

Old 09-23-2011, 03:38 PM

2 things

1.What's a LIM?
2.how would i get behind the motor to get to these other 3 plugs in the back...looks kinda tight bak their lol?

overall i think i can tackle majority of the monte's problems i just need alil direction

Old 09-23-2011, 03:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

LIM = Lower Intake Manifold.

On the 3800s, you can undo the front engine mounts and rock the car on a flat surface. As you rock you will see the engine tilt forward and backwards and when you see it fall forward and step on the e-brake it will just sit there. Easy 10 more inches to the rear of the engine. I'm not sure if the 3400 is the same way.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:14 PM

Is that the valve cover slightly over the heat shield and i think its trickling from thermo right at end of upper radiator hose and seee alil under left side bolt of thermo housing.And no milky oil but oily gunk in coolant resverior so i kno ill have to flush coolant system with new thermo n gasket.But everytime i try and start her up she act like so doesnt and when she does start WHICH SHE DOES the clock is reseted to 1200am???????? Whatsup with that?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:24 PM
15 Year Member

You might have gasket failure, gunk in coolant isn't good either, head gasket might be leaking.Make sure you park on level ground

Do a compression test. How To Do an Engine Compression Test - Compression Testing Your Engine - Testing Engine Compression

You definitely have an issue with your t-stat & possibly gasket. Just get new ones, replace them. It's kinda tricky to get some of the gaskets to get on the t-stat, so be prepared for frustration lol

Your clock is resetting because there is
a)a loose ground wire
b)a loose connection at the alternator
c)a loose connection at the battery
d)a failing alternator
e)a failing battery

You also need to check the fuel pressure. Get a fuel pressure tester, screw it to the valve on the fuel rail, turn the car to the "on" position, but don't start it. Check the tester. You should have at least 30 p.s.i.

To get to the back three spark plugs, you might need to unbolt the dogbones on the frame of the car to the motor. This will allow you to tilt the engine (you can pull it toward you) and reach the back plugs.

You should probably check your transmission fluid also, that might be the gunk in your coolant...

A Haynes manual would be very useful. Seriously.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:07 AM

Alrighty went and got full charging system test and battery is 702 cca and starter n alternater are good after I got home I went fuse hopping and check all front fuses n door and came across a fuse which was a 20 with a blue with white stripe wire! So I might not be the sharpest but I think this might be hard wired because the diagram says its the AC/cluster which is SUPPOSED to be a 10 fuse.could this be my drain that's killing my start ups?

Old 09-24-2011, 02:49 AM
15 Year Member

Get the wire out of there and change the fuse. Is the car cranking slowly when you try to start it, or does it just take a while of cranking?

Old 09-24-2011, 10:59 AM

It will click get silent and then turns over

Old 09-24-2011, 02:14 PM
15 Year Member

You have a poor connection somewhere. Check all your power connections

Quick Reply: Where'd all this come from??