Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   7th Gen ('06-'07): What Strut's For 07'SS (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/what-struts-07ss-50397/)

moneylaw 09-16-2014 06:34 PM

What Strut's For 07'SS

I have a 2007 Monte Carlo SS with 18 inch wheels and brand new 235/50r18 tires. I see so many conflicting stories on which struts/quick struts will work for this car. All of them everywhere I look show they will work on MC SS but stated only for 16-17 inch wheels. I have been told by people who work on cars that the 171661 monroe will work with the 18inch rims on the front only. I am not a chevy guy really and I just don’t want to buy the wrong parts. What part numbers have yall used and had good luck with.

As of this moment I only need to replace the fronts the rears seem to be fine. Another member has also posted to my other thread and stated that he bought a set of ebay and they worked fine on his SS, But i see in the listing that the rear's stated excluding 17-18 inch rims.

Habbibie 09-16-2014 07:24 PM

The struts off of a Pontiac Grand Prix gxp

moneylaw 09-17-2014 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Habbibie (Post 630758)
The struts off of a Pontiac Grand Prix gxp

Can anyone else confirmthis?

moneylaw 09-17-2014 10:32 AM

What year of a gxp because the 07's struts do not look the same just seen them in the store. They do not look like the will match up because they have a pieace of metal above the lower mount.

Habbibie 09-17-2014 01:12 PM

Not sure what exactly you're talking about. Me and my buddy just swapped his struts from a 07 GXP into his a 07 Monte Carlo SS and they were identical in dimensions. This talk is from a week ago ( 10 days to be exact ((Sunday noon))).

moneylaw 09-17-2014 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Habbibie (Post 630845)
Not sure what exactly you're talking about. Me and my buddy just swapped his struts from a 07 GXP into his a 07 Monte Carlo SS and they were identical in dimensions. This talk is from a week ago ( 10 days to be exact ((Sunday noon))).

For how popular these cars are why do none of the auto suppliers show Struts for the 18 inch wheels?

06mistreSS 09-17-2014 03:36 PM

Grand Prix GXP used Bilsteins which have been discontinued for our cars. I went with a new set of Bilsteins on my 06 SS a few years ago (before they were discontinued) and they fit fine - strut body is identical to the factories that came off with the exception of the added bracket on the fronts and the larger diameter piston rod on front/rears which doesn't affect fit. They were listed as 00-07 Monte Carlo.

Bilstein fronts do have a bracket on the strut body just below the spring seat, which the factories do not, but this does not affect anything when installed. All rears have a bracket for the stabilizer bar connection.

moneylaw 09-17-2014 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS (Post 630865)
Grand Prix GXP used Bilsteins which have been discontinued for our cars. I went with a new set of Bilsteins on my 06 SS a few years ago (before they were discontinued) and they fit fine - strut body is identical to the factories that came off with the exception of the added bracket on the fronts and the larger diameter piston rod on front/rears which doesn't affect fit. They were listed as 00-07 Monte Carlo.

Bilstein fronts do have a bracket on the strut body just below the spring seat, which the factories do not, but this does not affect anything when installed. All rears have a bracket for the stabilizer bar connection.

Could someone please provide a link to a part number of a quick strut that will work for my car. I am not the best at finding parts I just want to know what I get will work

06mistreSS 09-18-2014 07:29 AM

I honestly don't know why some list as excluding 17" and 18" wheels, or 00-03 or 00-04 only. Maybe somebody can enlighten me but, with my experience, the strut of an 03 SS (16" wheels) isn't any different than an 06 SS (18" wheels). Like I said, the Bilsteins I bought a few years ago were advertised as 00-07, ALL years and trims of the 6th Gen with no exceptions. Don't know why any others would be any different but for some reason they are listed as so. A few guys have installed the KYB AGX struts on their 06-07s and say they fit and ride just fine.

Doing a quick search, ACDelco, Monroe Sensa-Trac and KYB all have replacement struts for the 06-07 - some are just the strut itself and not the full assembly so you would have to confirm with the supplier. The Monroe Sensa-Tracs I'm seeing are advertised as "all engines, all submodels" - fronts #71661, rears #71662. Monroe Sensa-Tracs Quick Struts (full assemblies) - fronts #171661, rears #171662. I don't have time to pull numbers for multiple manufacturers but search "struts for 2007 Monte Carlo SS" and that should get you started.

moneylaw 09-18-2014 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS (Post 630915)
I honestly don't know why some list as excluding 17" and 18" wheels, or 00-03 or 00-04 only. Maybe somebody can enlighten me but, with my experience, the strut of an 03 SS (16" wheels) isn't any different than an 06 SS (18" wheels). Like I said, the Bilsteins I bought a few years ago were advertised as 00-07, ALL years and trims of the 6th Gen with no exceptions. Don't know why any others would be any different but for some reason they are listed as so. A few guys have installed the KYB AGX struts on their 06-07s and say they fit and ride just fine.

Doing a quick search, ACDelco, Monroe Sensa-Trac and KYB all have replacement struts for the 06-07 - some are just the strut itself and not the full assembly so you would have to confirm with the supplier. The Monroe Sensa-Tracs I'm seeing are advertised as "all engines, all submodels" - fronts #71661, rears #71662. Monroe Sensa-Tracs Quick Struts (full assemblies) - fronts #171661, rears #171662. I don't have time to pull numbers for multiple manufacturers but search "struts for 2007 Monte Carlo SS" and that should get you started.

As long as the 171661's work for the front I am good to go because they are 103$ each