Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: 04' HATES starting on COLD mornings **HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Default 04' HATES starting on COLD mornings **HELP

Hey Guys,

Recently after passing inspection , my cars been having an issue starting on COLD morning ONLY. If it is 30degrees or below, and I try to start it fails. If I crank the key a second time all the way and slightly let it go to the left, the car will start. When this occurs on cold mornings and the security light will stay on.I tried changing the battery for the hell of it since it's been 5 years, didn't make the slightest difference.

On a normal decently warm day, the car starts right away with no security light or funky issues!

It has check engines P0420 and P0455 , which seems to be related to the CAT . Those have been there for 4 years though, going on and off due to sensors and weather. Not worried but figured that's first place most people will say to check.

Alittle background, the ignition was changed over a year ago due to the car not recognizing the original keys. I also bypassed the security system with resistors while I was under there , so no matter what, the car won't shut off randomly if the light is active for any reason.

I wana say say it is the ignition switch again, as when the key goes all the way to start and slightly to the left, it will try and start the car. Ideas??

Old 12-05-2018, 05:29 AM

By the sound of it I would agree with a bad ignition switch , should be a quick switch as you bypassed the security. Rather odd coincidence that cold has anything to do with issue. Good luck

Old 12-05-2018, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
By the sound of it I would agree with a bad ignition switch , should be a quick switch as you bypassed the security. Rather odd coincidence that cold has anything to do with issue. Good luck
Thanks for your input. I'll give it a try and let you know, should be an easy one as it's not the first time I'd be replacing it. Anyone else feel free to bounce ideas!

Old 12-05-2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
***UPDATE: On the coldest day of the year so far, below 20, it seemed like the battery was as dead as a door nail(just got a new one last week). When I put my battery jumper on it did not do anything(fully charged). I moved this piece able the battery and my headlights came on, dash lights came on. I tried to start it about 10 tried before I got it. During that the dash lights were flickering crazy, and the car sounded really muffled, almost light it was coughing and could not start up. Ideas?? See the attached.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by DannNL

***UPDATE: On the coldest day of the year so far, below 20, it seemed like the battery was as dead as a door nail(just got a new one last week). When I put my battery jumper on it did not do anything(fully charged). I moved this piece able the battery and my headlights came on, dash lights came on. I tried to start it about 10 tried before I got it. During that the dash lights were flickering crazy, and the car sounded really muffled, almost light it was coughing and could not start up. Ideas?? See the attached.
Not sure what you have meant in this description. But I am guessing that you have a Ground Problem someplace. It may be good to check all your ground wires. makes sure you have bare metal where they connect at the surface, Someplace it is draining the Bat. Also where the terminals connect that should be clean as well.