Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

'02 Monte ABS question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:09 PM
1 Year Member
Default '02 Monte ABS question

New to dealing with Monte's and have a question on the ABS. Right now we have the ABS light on and the traction control off light on. It's been scanned and says one of the sensors is bad. It's been abit and I can't remember which one off hand, but was looking at the units at the parts store and saw that the rear wheel bearing hubs have wire hook ups as well. With these being front wheel drive and having a dead axle in the rear, what is this hook up for? It's going to be nice this weekend so I thought about looking into the front hubs for loose, broken, or bad connections. Thanks in advance for any help

Old 02-17-2017, 01:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They do have the connections for ABS and Speed sensors on the rears because the TPMS works on if it senses one of the tires doing a different rotation speed.

So one of the wheel hubs is probably throwing your code on you, they are sealed units and need to be replaced in whole. Also worth it to note is to check the wiring harness for any cracks or breaks to the offending wheel.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:52 PM
1 Year Member

my son inherited this car from his mom when she passed. I did get the service records and there has been one or two already replaced, but can't remember. Kinda why I'm leaning towards the harnesses and such. Sometimes I hate being my own mechanic...lol

Old 02-17-2017, 02:13 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Patnewk76
my son inherited this car from his mom when she passed. I did get the service records and there has been one or two already replaced, but can't remember. Kinda why I'm leaning towards the harnesses and such. Sometimes I hate being my own mechanic...lol
Depending on what brand it was replaced with, they can go bad as quickly as 6 months.

I'm a fan of Timken hubs

Old 02-17-2017, 02:16 PM
1 Year Member

oh that's nice. It's not driven alot right now as he's still waiting to get his license, but when I did drive it, the lights would all go off then later on come back on. If I can't find anything obvious on the harness's, I'll look into the hubs. Thanks for the suggestion and the replies.....

Old 02-17-2017, 02:21 PM

15 Year Member

No problem, glad it helped some.

If you can find a place that will read ABS codes, it should pin-point you to the corner that you should check.