Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): spark plugs (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/spark-plugs-60533/)

Deshun Deathbefore Dishonor 02-04-2019 08:43 AM

spark plugs

i think almost a year ago AutoZone told me that a spark plug was mis firing . never changed spark plugs or wires could that be a reason why my car won't attempt to start. asking for a friend

wht02monte 02-04-2019 09:44 AM

No. It would attempt to start even with a misfire.. Dead battery??

Deshun Deathbefore Dishonor 02-04-2019 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=wht02monte;716078]No. It would attempt to start even with a misfire.. Dead battery??

AutoZone said the battrey good but some how the battrey the drain . i go to start car on position and lights come on and radio it's wen I turn the key all the way my lights cut off and if I switch it back to on light cut back on

ChibiBlackSheep 02-04-2019 02:08 PM

How's the weather been? We've been in some really cold areas of the country, and our CCA (cold crank amps) can be pretty high. If the battery is starting to weaken, it can test fine, but the CCA not be high enough to turn over the car.

Enough juice to run the lights for a little bit, but not enough to crank.

If the battery was tested, it should give the CCA range on the same receipt.

Deshun Deathbefore Dishonor 02-04-2019 02:50 PM

the crazy thing about it is that I ask the mechanic about that and he said it didn't have nothing to do with it. so I start researching and found out it do especially in the cold . wal.art told me that I may need to switch back to the 800cca battrey I had when it hit winter. the battery I have now only has 650 cca. my old 1 has 800cca. it's been cold lately here in indianapolis I still have the 800cca but the 5years is up and not holding charge but I thought at least put it in then jump it as long as it's on cables it won't drain right?
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/monteca...77c1e37b5d.png

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/monteca...575a4249e9.png

ChibiBlackSheep 02-04-2019 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Deshun Deathbefore Dishonor (Post 716086)
the crazy thing about it is that I ask the mechanic about that and he said it didn't have nothing to do with it. so I start researching and found out it do especially in the cold . wal.art told me that I may need to switch back to the 800cca battrey I had when it hit winter. the battery I have now only has 650 cca. my old 1 has 800cca. it's been cold lately here in indianapolis I still have the 800cca but the 5years is up and not holding charge but I thought at least put it in then jump it as long as it's on cables it won't drain right?

If there's a draw it could drain.

I thought our cars needed at least 690 CCA. Your 650 might be too low to start in the frigid cold.

Deshun Deathbefore Dishonor 02-04-2019 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 716088)
If there's a draw it could drain.

I thought our cars needed at least 690 CCA. Your 650 might be too low to start in the frigid cold.

exactly do u think even though my my battrey with 800cca is bad do u think I can hook it up and Jump it

bumpin96monte 02-04-2019 07:29 PM

So the 800 cca is 5 years + old and isnt holding a charge? May as well get rid of it as it's useless anyways.

If you think the issue with the new battery is solely related to the cold that's easy to prove - jump start your car with another running car. Let the engine / bay get up to temp (drive it around, etc), then shut it off and see if your 600 will start it. If it doesn't start then, it's probably junk too as that's the best possible scenario (warm + freshly charged from alternator).

If it does start after that, it may not be holding a charge or it may just not be enough cca for those really cold days like you've heard.

On a side note, if the car is misfiring, why let the issue go for a year? It's certainly not related to the starting issue but still should be fixed.

Deshun Deathbefore Dishonor 02-04-2019 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 716094)
So the 800 cca is 5 years + old and isnt holding a charge? May as well get rid of it as it's useless anyways.

If you think the issue with the new battery is solely related to the cold that's easy to prove - jump start your car with another running car. Let the engine / bay get up to temp (drive it around, etc), then shut it off and see if your 600 will start it. If it doesn't start then, it's probably junk too as that's the best possible scenario (warm + freshly charged from alternator).

If it does start after that, it may not be holding a charge or it may just not be enough cca for those really cold days like you've heard.

On a side note, if the car is misfiring, why let the issue go for a year? It's certainly not related to the starting issue but still should be fixed.

Yes sir u are right i need to get that fix , and the battrey with the 650 cca we tried to jump still didn't get anything. 800cca battrey he didn't attempt to try but I get what you saying . could it be the security to? pass lock keep it from starting I'm not ruling out the cca cuz that was my 1st thought was cca

Deshun Deathbefore Dishonor 02-04-2019 10:49 PM

update ...sorry guys put the wrong battrey the battrey I got say 600 cca but I think it only shoot out 550