Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

3rd Gen ('78-'80): Signal lever broken

Old 11-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Default Signal lever broken

Hi MCF members,

I have a 3rd gen 1979 Monte Carlo with a tilting steering column. The signal lever has broken off and I am unsure how to fix it. I've lost the ability to signal left and right turns. As well as the ability to activate and flash my brights (high beams). My local wrecking yard is not helpful and I am at a loss of how to fix/replace this. Please help!

Regards

Morgen

Old 11-17-2017, 07:20 PM

To fix it you gotta tear into the column kinda deep & tilt columns are a hassle. If you have the funds I recommend just getting a replacement column from a salvage yard. Shouldn’t run you more than $75. I know all ‘82-88 g bodies are interchangeable, I don’t know about the ‘78-81s. A salvage yard would know, or look it up in the Hollister Interchange books.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:42 PM

So I'm based in Toronto, my local (and only) you pull it yourself wrecking yard 'standard auto' literally burned to the ground last march. Creating a big parts shortage in the area.

I have gotten the steering wheel off and been able to look at the guts of my wheel. it seems the the lever was just attached to a piece of plastic that went up and down. Unlike later models there is no electrical wires going through to lever itself.

If anyone could tell me what the part was called or where I could buy a reproduction I'm pretty confident I could install it myself. I don't want to spend $300 bucks to buy a new one just for a lever. My column would look like this.
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...O-1PAfzbSg.jpg

Old 11-20-2017, 09:02 AM

If it was a hollow plastic tube, they were just pushed in place. Too remove you put the flat end of a standard screwdriver in the hole and twist remaining piece should come out.From that point you can just buy a new lever from parts store or make one yourself

Old 11-29-2017, 10:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would check Opgi or Dixie Monte Carlo Parts but are very good, have used both and never had prob with getting parts .

Search this Thread