Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   rubbing noise help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/rubbing-noise-help-9893/)

v8_Killa 07-01-2008 07:38 PM

rubbing noise help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok so every time i reach 15mph or higher there is a rubbing noise comming from the front left wheel area i have stock sized wheels and i have checked (by having my wife drive while i walk next to it) to see if the tire is rubbing anything and its not i have ruled out any engine problems by revving up (while holding brakes) in all gears and i hear nothing i removed the tire/wheel yesterday and sprayed brake cleaner over everything and this did not fix the problem [&o]just ordered new v-rated tires just to see if the tire is bad and had a small lump or something in it there is no loss in braking or performance and the noise and vibrations make me feel like its the tire what do you guys think? also it does not happen while turning due to the low speeds on base i am turning at speeds less than 15mph help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks

1WX27 07-02-2008 04:53 AM

RE: rubbing noise help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is only while turning?
Is it a metallic sound like a warped rotor?
Try jacking up the front of the car, putting it in neutral and spinning the wheel manually to isolate the noise. If you can get the entire front end off the ground, you can turn the wheels left and right to find the point at which it begins to rub.
You say you have stock sized wheels meaning everything is the same (backspacing, diameter and width) as stock?
Look in the fenderwell for evidence of tire rubbing.
Good luck.

rysZ34 07-02-2008 06:12 AM

My first thought is a wheel bearing, but if that was the case you would hear it all thoughout the speed range....Is your transmission slipping? Keep us updated.

v8_Killa 07-02-2008 11:29 AM

i said that it does not make the sound while turning and i would hear the tranny from a different area than around the finder well right? put more air in today it is not as bad but still present espcally (sp)while braking[:@]

rysZ34 07-02-2008 12:31 PM

Do you have the Goodyear Eagle RS-A's on it still? It could just be the tire compound breaking down...

1WX27 07-02-2008 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: v8_Killa

i said that it does not make the sound while turning
What I was getting at is you can turn the wheels to be able to get in and see everything a little more clearly, see if there are any degraded parts. Hell, might as well check CV boots and stuff while you're poking around looking for this issue.... Check out the entire front end.
Is it a constant rubbing at 15mph or is it intermittent?

v8_Killa 07-02-2008 11:15 PM

its constant at 15 and above and how do i check the cv boots what should i be looking for? pics would be great.

v8_Killa 07-03-2008 07:01 PM

so i went out today on a mission to find out what was wrong at little to no cost to me and found out that it is my wheel barings and the run around 520 bucks to fix + labor + an aligment ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!! any ideas on what to do?

rysZ34 07-03-2008 07:47 PM

Buy the wheelbearing...they aren't hard to replace. What year is your car again?

v8_Killa 07-04-2008 05:41 PM

2001 ss na