Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Replacing rear brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:16 AM
1 Year Member
Default Replacing rear brakes...

I know this is quite basic for most but I screwed this up once as a kid and have been apprehensive ever since. When I was younger I forgot to remove the brake fluid resivour cover, and as I depressed the piston in the caliper I proceeded to destroy the master cylinder. I wont do that again....

Anyway I need to replace both pads and rotors on the rear. Ive looked through my haynes manual and it seems pretty straight forward but I get lost reading the directions.

Questions:

1. Can I just flip up the caliper housing and replace the pads that way? If I do I still need to compress the piston with a C clamp though correct? Is there any special way to do this or anything I can mess up as I did as a kid?

2. If Im doing rotors too which do I do first? Remove the caliper entirely, replace the rotor, then change the pads above in question 1 or do them differently with the caliper off already?

3. Where do I put the anti seize compound? Its been a while and I forgot. From what I remember the caliper bolts and the piston where it meets the pad?

Thanks,
Sorry it may seem basic to many but I causes myself a huge headache and bill as a teenager so I just dont want to screw up again.

Car is a 2000 monte LS btw.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by orthokneepa
1. Can I just flip up the caliper housing and replace the pads that way?
That should work fine. I think I did it that way the last time.

If I do I still need to compress the piston with a C clamp though correct? Is there any special way to do this or anything I can mess up as I did as a kid?
Yep, still need to compress the piston in order for the new, thicker pads to make it over the rotor. Just make sure you've removed some brake fluid from the reservoir first so it doesn't overflow when you compress the piston. I usually put rags down around the reservoir just in case.

2. If Im doing rotors too which do I do first? Remove the caliper entirely, replace the rotor, then change the pads above in question 1 or do them differently with the caliper off already?
Remove caliper / rotor, install new rotor, then swap out pads.

3. Where do I put the anti seize compound? Its been a while and I forgot. From what I remember the caliper bolts and the piston where it meets the pad?
I put the goo on the pins, the back of the pads, and the mounting points where the pads slide into the caliper clips. Just ensure you don't get any on/near the pad surface.