Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   Remote Keyless Entry (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/remote-keyless-entry-10149/)

racegirl89 07-25-2008 12:42 PM

Remote Keyless Entry

Somewhat recently my remote control for my 2001 Monte Carlo LS stopped working. I thought perhaps the battery was dead, but it wasn't and it's getting to be a pain to try to unlock my car at night in pure darkness with a key. What is the best way of getting this fixed? What I was curious...is it possible to just do away with Chevrolet's keyless entry and get a new one installed elsewhere that would include remote start as well?! And if anyone has any relative idea of costs, that would be great also.

NOTE: I am not a hands on do it yourself kind of girl when it comes to these sorts of things, so taking it to a shop is the only way I can go.

Space 07-25-2008 01:10 PM

RE: Remote Keyless Entry

[align=center]Hi Amanda and Welcome to the MCF[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]You may want to try the below[/align][align=center][/align]
If you just changed the battery in the transmitter you should be able to simply do a synchronization procedure. Here is how:
[align=center]Stand within 1.5 meters (5 ft) from the vehicle. [/align][align=center]Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter for 7 seconds.The door locks should cycle in order to confirm resynchronization. If it fails u could be looking at a bad RKE MODULE [/align][align=center][/align]
If this doesn't work you will be stuck going to the dealer to have it reprogrammed or wait for another MCF member to post a suggestion or
if you are low on funds to have fun you may want to purchase a cheap
flashlight

Good luck! Letus know if it works

Taz 07-25-2008 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: KidSpace

[align=center]if you are low on funds you may want to purchase a cheap[/align][align=center]flashlight

[/align]
LMAO :DNice idea Space.
Seriously, does the other remote work? Usually they give you two remotes.
If it does, take the new battery out of the non-working remote for a few seconds, then put it back in. Then try the proceedure KidSpace already mentioned. If neither of the remotes work, then it's dealership time.

bensminger2003 07-30-2008 01:33 AM

NONO To reprogram the remote on the 00-05 Monte, you have to do so thru the radio. I bought my Monte without a remote and bought one online. Just pull out your owners manual and it will tell you how to reprogram. The settings menu on the radio also gives you access to options such as your oil life, light delay, remote "chirp" and so on. Hope this helps you!!

racegirl89 08-02-2008 06:00 PM

I pressed both the lock and unlock buttons down at the same time for 7 seconds and the remote works now just fine =] And as for my 2nd remote....my dad lost it in the bottom of a river somewhere while on a canoe trip lol. And good one about getting a cheap flashlight haha. Thanks so much for your help.

Taz 08-02-2008 06:49 PM

Glad to hear your remote works now. You can always get replacement remotes from ebay if you want to replace the one you lost.

04 Intimidator 08-09-2008 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Taz

Glad to hear your remote works now. You can always get replacement remotes from ebay if you want to replace the one you lost.
I recommend doing this as well as they are cheap. Just look at the back of your remote and put the code in the ebay search.

tfunk002 12-18-2016 07:47 PM

i tried what kidspace said to do it will not work

xpage 12-20-2016 01:34 PM

I just had this particular problem, you can probably find my thread somewhere.

Also you can set the lights on your car to stay on for 0 seconds, 15, 30, or 60 seconds after you use the remote or leave the car. I have mine set to 30 so i can see walking back.

Summary is
1) change battery in remote
2) reprogram remote via radio
-turn key to acc, hold down disp button (bottom one) for 5-6 sec
- select program rmeote
-hold lock and unlock then repeat with next remote immediately without
exiting the programming mode in the console
-Exit program, turn key to off and test remotes

If that fails bad receiver, buy one on ebay for cheap or new for ~$80, and replace it. It just plugs in the old one's spot, only tool needed is a nylon pry piece or if lazy a screwdriver and cloth.

see my thread for upper dash