Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   recall heater core? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/recall-heater-core-36092/)

donewchev 05-01-2012 02:11 PM

recall heater core?

Has anyone heard of a recall for heater core in 97 monte......My friend has a different type car that he says chevy makes the heater core for and his goes out like every 1-2 years...HELP....single mom, can not keep replacing this. Please let me know if I am just on my own with this problem.

mwjames 05-02-2012 03:22 AM

Here's the recalls on your year Used 1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Recalls - 1997 Chevy Monte Carlo Recall Reports - Motor Trend Magazine

The only thing I can assume besides improper installation is cheap replacement regarding it going out so quickly. Are you positive it's the heater core that's giving you the problem? Can you please explain the problems you are having.

aussiek2000 05-02-2012 07:17 PM

Sounds like they are using cheap heater cores. What is this car that your friend drives?

mwjames 05-02-2012 11:25 PM

I know that on some of the Volvo's the heater core has some orings that often go out, maybe it could be something like that. I'm just throwing it out there since i've never had to mess with the heater core.

aussiek2000 05-04-2012 07:07 PM

No on these. Usually the heater core itself gets a hole in it.

donewchev 05-09-2012 03:33 PM

My grandmother bought the Monte brand new, she put 20,000 miles on it over the course of 10 years, I got it in 07 and it now has 98,000. Would the dealership put in used or sub standard parts? We ended up closing off the hose a bit thinking water was rushing threw to quick...(remember those words come from a woman that knows nothing about a car, but is loving learning about it). I will try to get the right terminology!! I have a new problem now!!! I will repost:eek:

jazz008 11-13-2012 10:46 PM

Car recall is no longer new for most of us and not only a single car company did this, but majority of them had a recall for the past years. Even Toyota is also working on the recall of over of over 5 million automobiles in the U.S. alone. Another 5 million models are targeted in other countries around the world. The recall is over a faltering master switch in the driver's door that has been responsible for additional than 150 fires. You can click on this link for more info.

The_Maniac 11-14-2012 11:26 AM

Heaters cores "usually" don't go bad. But what is the problem? Typical problems I've see with heater cores are:
- Antifreeze on carper
- Coolant leaks
- Clogged heater core (resulting in poor heat in the car and temp problems with the engine).

I know some of the 90's GMs had cores with plastic inlet/outlet tubes (they would crack and leak all your antifreeze out, replacements were metal).

Anycase, kick us back some more info on what's going on and hopefully we can better guide you on the situation.