Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Random hesitation at start & drop in idle (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/random-hesitation-start-drop-idle-40637/)

Red Nightmare 12-31-2012 10:46 AM

Random hesitation at start & drop in idle

It only happens at random times....I never know when she's going to do it.

I've thought it could just be because of the cold weather.. There is no check engine light & the car drives fine once you go. Occasionally when you start the car after the turnover it struggles for a second or two to keep the idle & then she's fine. Then, last night before I took a drive she started fine, I let her warm up to a decent temp.. but when I gave her a little gas (in park) the idle dropped to 450-500rpms atleast 4 times & then was fine.
There is no battery light, but I will be getting the alt& batt checked tomorrow at work..No check engine light...& runs fine when you drive.

If its not a charging problem....maybe a IAC?
Air filter is clean..
PCV is new
Has great oil pressure..
I know the power steering pump is on its way out, but even if it was there would be a belt squeal

STUMPMI 12-31-2012 10:51 AM

Besides the afor mentioned IAC...Posibly the TPS...could also be failing?
you could also just try cleaning the TPS and see if that cures it...
Mine reacted the same way..pulled the TPS off cleaned it and replaced it..It hasnt done it since...
Just a thought.:thumbsup:

ChibiBlackSheep 12-31-2012 10:55 AM

Just curious, why did you rev it in park?

For the IAC usually you start the car, and the RPMs just slowly fall down and then it stalls, unless you hold the throttle very little and it keeps it alive

Red Nightmare 12-31-2012 10:56 AM

Is it in the same position that the series 1 3800's? I remember changing the tps in my bonneville & the thing was stuck underneath, throttle body had to come off..

Red Nightmare 12-31-2012 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 517178)
Just curious, why did you rev it in park?

For the IAC usually you start the car, and the RPMs just slowly fall down and then it stalls, unless you hold the throttle very little and it keeps it alive

i kinda tapped the gas getting in..

03SSLE 12-31-2012 10:59 AM

Loose/Dirty electrical connectors on any of the sensors can create all kinds of mischievous gremlins. I'd check the connectors on the MAF and IAC. I'd also clean the MAF sensor and see if that helps.

If the bearing in the PS pump is momentarily binding it could cause the RPM to drop but not cause the belt to squeal because the tensioner will take up the slack.

ChibiBlackSheep 12-31-2012 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Red Nightmare (Post 517180)
Is it in the same position that the series 1 3800's?

Attachment 34983

STUMPMI 12-31-2012 11:08 AM

Great Find Mike....;)

I was just looking for that very same pic in the forum.GRRR:rotfl: you beat me to it! LOL

You Da Man!!!:thumbsup:

ChibiBlackSheep 12-31-2012 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI (Post 517189)
I was just looking for that very same pic in the forum.GRRR:rotfl: you beat me to it! LOL

It's in my photobucket account, pretty easy to find ;)

STUMPMI 12-31-2012 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 517190)
It's in my photobucket account, pretty easy to find ;)

Im sure she will definately appreciate it!.. I know I did !
Thanks Mike....:thumbsup:
Once again proveing your invaluable Info for all!:congrats: