Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP..98 monte z34 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/please-help-98-monte-z34-18462/)

pimpnpremium 02-01-2010 09:25 PM

PLEASE HELP..98 monte z34

Okay dont wana waist time and need help asap.. just bought the car and am a chevy lover. It was in slight accident. Air bag boom. He hit the turn signals when he crashed and now i have turn signal as well as brake light failure though the bulbs dont blow. fuses dont go either. I need a wiring diagram as well as how to install new turn signal switch.. searched for near an hour wit no help

Thanks a ton people.

happily mad owner

Aaron

JaxJim 02-02-2010 09:09 AM

I don't think you need a wiring diagram, you just need to replace all the items broken in the accident. Most likely the turn signal lever, wiper/ dimmer switch and turn signal switch. Any or all of these could have been damaged, and the turn signals and brake lights will definately be affected. Just remove the steering wheel and it's all there.

JaxJim 02-02-2010 09:37 AM

I should add that while all of these parts have simple plug in connections, they are a pain to get - you'll need special tools to remove the steering wheel and the lock rings inside the column. They're cheap tools to buy and could probably be loaned from most auto part stores. Without the tools, you can't do the job.

Cut Throat 02-02-2010 11:17 AM

^+1
I had to put in a new turn signal lever and it was the biggest PITA I've had to do so far while working on my '98 Monte.

You should pick up a Haynes Auto Repair manual, they have a ton of good information about our vehicles that will save you a lot of trouble down the road.

JaxJim 02-02-2010 12:58 PM

So true. With everything else on the car controlled by computers, why are the turn signals operated by tiny plastic levers and switches and springs that are buried under airbags and lock washers? Maybe it's different on the newer cars. My cars are all 10+ years or older.

skylark65 02-02-2010 07:00 PM

after the steering wheel is off its not too horrible. mine needed the swich, got it for about $65 at advanced auto, and i re used my old lever. oh, one more BIG tip--- when you pull the steering wheel, make sure everything is centered as it should be and MARK with tape where center is... 9 outta 10 times if someone forgets to do this the wheel goes back on off-center, they drive the car and realize its effed up, and can NEVER get it straightened out. i've seen it quite a few times.

pimpnpremium 02-03-2010 06:35 PM

thanks all.. great advice picked up the switch and a manual yesterday.. and thanks for the heads up about the steering wheel line up.. i noticed that to take off airbag you have to have it turned sideways i totally would have messed that up

skylark65 02-05-2010 08:41 PM

glad to hear we could help, let us know when its done :)