Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   Parking brake cable - grand prix v. monte (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/parking-brake-cable-grand-prix-v-monte-43784/)

milrlyt 07-03-2013 09:33 AM

Parking brake cable - grand prix v. monte

Are they the same?

Going to be relocating my parking brake (probably to a hand brake, from a GP) and I need to know if the two cables are the same or if mine will fit in the GP hand brake.

steelmalu43 07-03-2013 09:37 AM

your vin.....
the GP vin....

that way I can compare the two
off the top of my head I don't think it will work.. but you never know

milrlyt 07-03-2013 09:55 AM

Not pulling it off a specific car.

After some more checking it seems like there's a difference between the cables of the Grand Ams (which have the hand brake) and Montes which have the kick brake.

So I guess, is there hardware that will adjust for the different cables? Or can I retrofit it somehow?

The_Maniac 07-03-2013 11:20 AM

You will definitely have to re-route the cable, as a result, I am sure the length of the cable needed will be shorter. Not sure how to best handle that. I think there was a guy on NAIOA.com that converted his 2000-2005 Impala to a stick shift, as a result, if my memory serves, he adapted a J-body (Cavvy/Sunfire) hand brake to the center of his Impala. I'm sure the process he took would be similar to do the same on a '00-'07 Monte.

Why are you trying to relocate the e-brake anyways?

milrlyt 07-03-2013 01:18 PM

The way I was going to do it was to reroute the cable to the passenger side of the center console, so the cable might not need to be shortened. Guess I'll find out. Do you have a link to the thread?

Also, you have the GA GT and a Monte... could you see if the two cables are the same?

Also, I'm interested to know why a Cavalier brake cable would work on a completely different car. :confused:

Relocating e brake because a) I have speakers in the kicks that make the brake nonfunctional and b) I hate kick brakes ;)

The_Maniac 07-03-2013 03:43 PM

I had a chance to poke for the link about the e-brake, link below:
Getrag 284 Swap Build Thread - 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion - NAIOA

And a few posts later, I think he pretty much answers your questions with this statement:

For anyone who's interested in doing a hand e-brake, I used the handle and cable out of a Grand Am, the newest style they made. The Impala cable looks like it will work, but it does not, but the GA cable is long enough and works perfectly. The right side of the console needs to be cut. I'll post pics.
Seeing as the Impala and Monte are so alike, I think this should work out for what you want to do (but I think you might need to mod or remove you center console).

milrlyt 07-03-2013 05:21 PM

Hmm, so I won't be able to use my e brake cable? They look the exact same under the car, GA just looks a bit shorter cause of where it's run to. :(

I'm totally fine with modding the console.