Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 PM

Seems my car is now running hotter than before. Just suddenly started this week from running a bit too cool with the 180 thermostat sitting at 1/4 the way to max to now being around 200-206 ping ponging with the fan going on and me cranking up the heat when it gets to 206 and bringing it back down (obviously i get heat from the heater cores).

At what temps do the fans kick on and off? I'll have to investigate this more, though I checked the head gasket with a Combustion Leak Detector and it didn't change color.

So my thoughts are thermostat, water pump, or maybe radiator or fans. Help advice is appreciated

Old 02-06-2018, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by bfoor24
Alright, I have some overheating issues with my car and I've come for some advice here. Its been driving me crazy. I have a 2003 Monte Carlo with the 3.8 engine. I have 202,000 miles. In the last few months, the coolant, thermostat and upper radiator hose have been replaced. I've also replaced the radiator cap. The coolant is the green coolant. But sometimes the coolant level gets low.

What's weird is I don't see any leaks and my heat works well. There's also no milky oil or white smoke. The longer I drive it, the hotter it gets. It does good for a while though. Especially when it's pretty cool outside.

Any thoughts on what else it could be? Thanks
I own a 2000 monte carlo ss 3.8. There is a common issue with the 3.8 liter engines in Chevy cars. The upper black plastic manifold degrades from excessive heat around the metal pipe that comes from the EGR valve. Eventually coolant leaks into the engine and evaporates out the exhaust. Chevy changed the design of the upper manifold and i got one ebay for $65.00. Sometimes the lower intake manifold gasket also has to be replaced. I have been quoted anywhere from $280 to $350 to repair at a shop.