Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   OK - Here is a Warning on Cat-Back Systems (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/ok-here-warning-cat-back-systems-5632/)

BLACK ATTACK 09-05-2007 03:57 PM

OK - Here is a Warning on Cat-Back Systems

Live & Learn... Right now, only magnaflow has a DYNO TESTED cat-back exhaust system. I on the other hand, went with a Flowmaster exhast system that was fabricated for me from the Cat-back. Sounds Great.... well at higher rpms... at low rpms the car has lost back-pressure that is screwing with its performance. Cost of hand fabricated flowmaster system - $600, to convert it back to stock $900, to take it to a Magnaflow Cat-back system, $725 if I do it myself and $900 if I let the guys do it.

So... I thought I was going to save money... WRONG!!! It is going to cost me $900 + $600 for a grand total of $1500 for something that should have only costed $900. LIVE & LEARN!!! and Hopefully... you learn from MY MISTAKE!!!

GrandPaDave 09-05-2007 04:29 PM

RE: OK - Here is a Warning on Cat-Back Systems

I thought the Magna-Flow was only for 3.5/9 engines.

Is there one for you 5.3 people?

I was getting real close to doing something mild with my exhaust, but I am guessing the performance curves are much different.

Hmmm, need to do some more thinking.

FlynhghR 09-05-2007 11:38 PM

Solara, I've been trying to get ahold of this guy about the tuning, but he's not responded yet... it's been over a month :-S....

I will let you know if I happen to hear from him, he's actually a pro-tuner... so I'm sure he's busy, lol.

06MonteSS 09-06-2007 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

I thought the Magna-Flow was only for 3.5/9 engines.

Is there one for you 5.3 people?

I was getting real close to doing something mild with my exhaust, but I am guessing the performance curves are much different.

Hmmm, need to do some more thinking.
yes, there is one for us SS's... I believe the SS one was even out before the 3.5/9's were...

HyperFox 09-06-2007 11:11 AM

I do know of a shop in my area that does it for 3.5/9 5.3's, and he has a dyno on site for the results, but its a long drive for ya..

GrandPaDave 09-06-2007 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: HyperFox

I do know of a shop in my area that does it for 3.5/9 5.3's, and he has a dyno on site for the results, but its a long drive for ya..
What does a Dyno run costs these days?

ExplosiveSoundz 09-07-2007 04:47 AM

If, and IF you are lucky enough to find a good dyno company at a car show, or major vehicle event, some only charge 75 bucks for 3 or 4 runs. But if you want to go to a shop like Intense, they charge 475 for a complete dyno run AND tune...

-Keegan

GrandPaDave 09-07-2007 10:49 AM

Wow, and you get the power at the wheels where it really counts and not at the crank like on carmaker brochures.

HyperFox 09-07-2007 10:11 PM

He charges around 10 or 20 bucks a run on it. That includes setup. If you do the tune from him, you get a run before, and after for a nice bragging rights sheet. Might be a shop in your local area that would offer it.

04 Intimidator 09-08-2007 03:32 PM

ZZP Dyno Pulling:

Dyno strap down is $25, each pull is $30. ei 1 pull would be $55, 5 pulls would be $175.[/align][/align]Tuning is still $75/hr on top of dyno time and requires an unlocked PCM. We recommend starting with a ZZP PCM file.[/align]You can do your own tuning with your own hardware and only pay for dyno pulls, but we cannot give advice on use of your tuning hardware, or assist in working on the car. Due to liability, we cannot loan out tools so please bring what you need or consider paying ZZP to work on your car.[/align]