Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: P0122 Code/ Throttle Position Sensor installation

Old 12-28-2019, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default P0122 Code/ Throttle Position Sensor installation

I have posted a few times about my car, without going over everything again I’m pretty sure I found the issue. I have a 2005 Monte Carlo Tony Stewart edition. The car was stalling, rpm’ fluctuating, horrible gas mileage etc; The car finally died after going into limp mode and hasn’t ran for a month. When the car first started having issues, got the P0112 and P0122 codes. Replaced the MAF, Air Idle Control Valve and TPS. Car was still having problems,

I didn’t think to check the codes when it finally died, made some mistakes throw it money on everything. Checked the codes again and still the P0122 code. The battery has also been draining almost instantly. Battery was charged at Autozone and tested and was good. Put it back in and it drained again. Changed the alternator and the battery still drains. We tried putting my uncle’s battery in and the car because it’s the same battery. Wouldn’t try to start. He pulled up on the throttle cable and the car almost started. The problem is in the throttle area itself we determined. We’re replacing the throttle body because the screen was missing somehow on it and that’s where the issue is coming from. Probably going to have to replace the battery too.

My questions are, is there a specific way to place the throttle position sensor on the car? It didn’t feel like it was on good when I put it on and the same thing when my uncle tried putting it on. It feels like it’s not catching or latching or something, it just sits on there. Also could the throttle body or TPS cause the car not to start and the battery drain? I know the TPS has to do with the voltage running to the PCM. Sorry for the long post, just want to get an opinion.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:41 AM

Have you checked the ground wire on the front of the motor I had issues with my tonystewart edition doing alot of that and problem was a bad ground bolted to the transmission and motor connect right by the starter

Old 08-03-2021, 05:50 PM
Default TPS tab

The TPS module has a metal tab which you can see protruding straight up from the module. When you look into the mounting location where it it engages the throttle body shaft(the other end has the throttle cable and cruise control cable attached to it), you will see a round, silver shaft with a silver dogleg perpindicular to the main. The metal tab engages this little silver shaft. Hold the TPS module in your hand and turn it 45 degrees to the right and place it flush to the mounting surface. While still holding it flush, turn it back the other direction. You will feel the spring loaded tab engage the shaft. Secure it with the torx screws.