Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Service Engine Soon light

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 02:21 PM
Talking Service Engine Soon light

Hi!

I just had the tie rods replaced and the front end aligned, tires rotated and fluids changed, but the mechanic could not get the Service Vehicle Soon light to go off. Anyone else have this issue?

thanks,
Barbara

Old 03-15-2018, 02:21 PM

Sorry, 2001 Monte Carlo SS

Old 03-16-2018, 07:11 AM

Could be a ton of things.. Gonna have to get it scanned.. Did the mechanic say he knew what was causing it to turn on??

Old 03-16-2018, 08:02 AM

I asked why it was still on and they said they "tried" but couldn't get it to go off.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What codes are being thrown? Service Engine Soon is usually more serious than a check engine light.

If they can't tell you what the code is, I would find a different place.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by zabadu
I asked why it was still on and they said they "tried" but couldn't get it to go off.
Idk, that sounds like a "red flag" to me.. It seems like one of two things.. Theyre lying and didnt "try" to turn it off, or they are incompetent..

You dont just "try" to turn it off.. You either "clear" the code because you know the issue is nonexistent or you notify the customer that "this or that" is whats needed to be done to turn it off..

Id go somewhere else. Autozone will tell you for free..

Old 03-17-2018, 09:14 AM

Well, I kind of called them on it yesterday. They also didn't do top offs of the fluid, my oil gauge is running high and the light. I'm going back today for them to finish the job.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:58 PM

If it's the Service Vehicle Soon light I'm not sure autozone can scan it. At least on my car it required a more expensive scanner tool to read it. And the light could be something more serious, but it can also get triggered for little things. I had one on my car for a couple years and it turns out it was a faulty headlight sensor (so my night time lights were always on, never DRL). I also had it come on when my dimmer switch went out. I'd definitely get the code read if you can because it may be a $10 fix (like the headlight sensor).

Old 03-17-2018, 10:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Appears you had a fair amount of work done on your Monte by them. Seems illogical the shop is unable to determine the cause for a SES condition. None of your repairs would have caused a SES light. What fluids were changed?

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 03-17-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zabadu
Well, I kind of called them on it yesterday. They also didn't do top offs of the fluid, my oil gauge is running high and the light. I'm going back today for them to finish the job.
Ding, red flag. They told you they did all those things, they did not and they have to finish the job? Uhm, that there is the stuff that makes me nervous.

As for the Service Vehicle, some scan tools can read it and some cannot. I believe I have software on my laptop that works with a cheap Bluetooth ELM327 tool and can do it. The autoparts store *might* be able to do it. A dealer or service station with a GM Tech II scan tool can do it. For the record, the Tech II, not so expensive anymore. Maybe $400ish (used to be well over $1000).

I would advise being careful with a shop you need to take the car back to for something they did not complete. Attention to detail, you life is behind that wheel!!