Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Info: noise after new front end parts install

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default noise after new front end parts install

Hey peeps! well I installed new inner and outer tie rods, and control arms/ball joints this past weekend, drove to auto store to return inner tie rod tool...btw, what a piece of **** this tool is! anyway, drove ok except for the cocked steering wheel needing alignment. couldn't get alignment Monday, too bust so drove it to work, 8 miles, on way home I get this high pitched squeal almost like brake pads but gets worse when turning? I replaced my front hubs about 5 years ago, new sway bar with poly links, new c/v half shafts about a month ago! WTF!! I was hoping for a brand new riding car with a new front end!! could my wheel hubs be bad again due to bad c/v axles and tie rods? Im getting this high pitched , metal on metal sound while driving and its worse when turning hard right and left into driveway or parking space? I am getting the alignment done in the morning but my stepson says they cannot do it if the bearings are bad? HELP! at my wits end with this car!! I also have a squeaking...ernt ernt sound when turning right hard into driveway etc. that I thought would go away with these new front end parts!! any help is appreciated greatly!!... Clay

Old 10-17-2018, 06:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by claydoh
Hey peeps! well I installed new inner and outer tie rods, and control arms/ball joints this past weekend, drove to auto store to return inner tie rod tool...btw, what a piece of **** this tool is! anyway, drove ok except for the cocked steering wheel needing alignment. couldn't get alignment Monday, too bust so drove it to work, 8 miles, on way home I get this high pitched squeal almost like brake pads but gets worse when turning? I replaced my front hubs about 5 years ago, new sway bar with poly links, new c/v half shafts about a month ago! WTF!! I was hoping for a brand new riding car with a new front end!! could my wheel hubs be bad again due to bad c/v axles and tie rods? Im getting this high pitched , metal on metal sound while driving and its worse when turning hard right and left into driveway or parking space? I am getting the alignment done in the morning but my stepson says they cannot do it if the bearings are bad? HELP! at my wits end with this car!! I also have a squeaking...ernt ernt sound when turning right hard into driveway etc. that I thought would go away with these new front end parts!! any help is appreciated greatly!!... Clay
Wow that is a puzzler for sure. Is it possible to put it up on Jack stands and run it in place and then see if you have anything that is rubbing.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:37 AM

My first two thought are either a bent brake dust shield or the wheel bearing is getting bad, maybe it started getting bad when you changed the cv shaft and re-torqued the wheel bearing too 118 ft lbs (1995-2007) too loose or over tightened are both bad. As #3 driver Dale stated jack up the car under the lower control arms to keep weight on suspension and try shaking tire and check for looseness. Can also run while it's in the air and check. Be aware that the traction or ABS light might come on, nothing exciting. Good luck

Old 10-20-2018, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good call Jeffs!! bent brake dust shields on both sides ! I squealed into Sun Tire Tuesday morning for the front end alignment and they heard me turn in squealing!! LOL, 5 minutes on lift with a long screwdriver and it was fixed then onto alignment rack, 30 minutes later I drove off with no noise and a super handling monte with a new front end!! thanks for the replies guys! appreciate it !!, Claydoh